PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on ZL-1 #26

Camaro Billy
08-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Some friends of mine bought the #26 ZL-1 Anniversary engine. They are toying with the idea of building a Tribute, Clone , whatever the name du jour is,of the orig. #26 ZL-1 1969 Camaro.Since it would have the new motor in it no one would ever confuse it with the real deal.I told them I would try and help them research the car. Is #26 a known car ? I do know from the VIN list and the CRG report on COPOs that it would be a Hugger Orange car w/ a M-21 4- speed ,black standard interior and J52 brakes.
I would also assume, but don't know for sure that it would be X-44 03A build car.Probably no console, F70 white letter tires, radio delete, non D80 spoiler,and standard N10 dual exhaust.Also would it have the F41 suspension ? I'm just learning about this ZL-1 stuff so any info on the actual #26 car or any input on the build of ZL-1's would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Billy

William
08-12-2008, 12:15 AM
This is really old info but here goes:

#26 was owned & lightly raced in Indiana by I believe a guy name of Jim Pierce. It was for sale in Hot Rod mag in the '80s; Ed C ended up with it. He flipped it to someone in MI. Never cut, pretty nice car.

Here is where it gets strange.

The new owner bought it because he had the complete OE engine from #3. In the early '90s the owner of #3 at that time found the block from #26 and restored it; Chevy HP magazine did an article on the dyno report; we provided a few parts for it and got a credit.

Hot Rod did a feature on #3 in the early '80s and sort of insinuated the engine was original. The owner of the #3 engine was miffed and wrote them a letter which they published.

One would think these two could have reached some sort of trade that would return each engine to its original home. To the best of my knowledge this never happened.

Go figure.

PeteLeathersac
08-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Cool story!.

So what engine was in it when C'Lil got #3?.

http://www.yenko.net/features/2000/October2000.htm

The info is probably available online but why was the #3 car the only one out of the first 50 that Gibb didn't order?.
Was Berger the only one in the loop early?.

So where's the #26 car today?.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif
~ Pete

William
08-12-2008, 03:01 AM
I do not know the status of #26.

#3 was the 1st ZL-1 Camaro ordered: body number 211785. The lowest number among the Gibb ZL-1s is 222001. Obviously the people at Berger were hooked up with Chevy.

Gibbs ZL-1s were #1 & #2; #4-#50, #52. #51 went to LaMar Walden via Brooks Chev in Ga.

Clill had #3 for some time and may have also tried to acquire the engine. I expect he has more current info.

olredalert
08-12-2008, 05:10 AM
-----I am correct thinking that #3 was Porterfeilds car prior to Clill, arent I???.......Bill S

Charley Lillard
08-12-2008, 06:19 AM
I bought # 3 from Porterfield. It had a replacement engine in it. He had tried to buy the orig engine from the guy that bought it out of the car in about 71. The guy had bought # 26 from Cunneen. Porterfield found the orig block for # 26 and built it up for the magazine article and then tried to trade the guy with 26 for his # 3 engine. The guy won't trade. He was mad because he didn't get the # 3 car when Porterfield did. Porterfield gave up trying to trade him and sold off the engine for # 26. I later bought it from Stubbings and tried to trade the guy myself. He jerked my chain for awhile but was just waisting my time. I even tried to buy his car since he was never going to finish it. I gave up and installed the engine for 26 into # 3. At some point in time someone with a little common sense will end up with 26 and get a trade done.