PDA

View Full Version : -----Dale Smith-----

olredalert
06-22-2010, 12:26 AM
-----Friday, June 18th Dale Smith, one of my closest friends on earth, owner of OEM Glass, passed away. He will be sorely missed by all that knew him. R.I.P. Dale......Bill S

njsteve
06-22-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that he passed on. I remember meeting him back in 1991 when he came down to Florida to install the back window in my Charger Daytona for a magazine article. He was a really nice guy.

RPOLS3
06-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Sorry to hear Bill, Dale was a great guy. Still have our OEM Glass baseball caps from back in the day. Great memories of his famous get togethers when the Bloomington Gold show was still in Bloomington.

Jake

bigjake
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Dale Smith was a stand-up guy!I remember the "396" parties at his shop in Bloomington--Arnie Beswick, Ronny Sox and Red Alert. Dale made a pass down the highway past the shop with one of his hemi cars--Great memories-He will be missed! Our hobby is losing all the "Good Guys".

sYc
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Bill. so sorry to hear of Dale's passing.

Starship
06-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the news Bill. Dale was a very good man. R.I.P Dale, those parties do make for some great memories.

Vettefinderjim
07-02-2010, 12:04 AM
DALE was 'REAL CLASS'. And made great glass products. I got the bad news while at this years BLOOMINGTON event.

Verne_Frantz
07-03-2010, 04:38 AM
I never knew him, but I heard from my friend Bob Jorjorian in FL that it was a tractor accident. He was one of Bob's best friends too. I feel sorry whenever I hear of a "good guy" in our hobby going away.

Verne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cry.gif

Canuck
07-04-2010, 05:13 AM
I met Dale for the first time at the Oldsmobile Nationals in Columbus in 1990. He has restored a 67 442 W30 to the Olds equivalent of Bloomington Gold, unfortunately the Olds crowd was not ready to accept that level of perfection at that point (overspray in the right places) and his car got criticized by a few &quot;experts&quot;. Dale later sold the car. I ran into him several times at Carlisle when he started in the tractor restoration business. He did everything to perfection. His work was an inspiration.

http://www.oemtractorparts.com/shop4/pc/home.asp

Paul

olredalert
07-04-2010, 05:23 PM
-----Dales black W30 67 442 is in the hands of a well known collector/restorer in south Florida now. That was a very cool car. Dale went through an Oldsmobile period before he got involved in Chrysler products.
-----He also restored an absolutely beautiful 440/six-pack car to the same high degree. It had a very crispy Dvorac built 440 in it. Thats what Dale took out in front of his shop at his annual party and did the monstrous burnout in. Ive lost track of that car. Someones got a very good six-pack car out there.
-----Dale saw me having a bit of fun with Red Alert and decided to come racing with me but went the Hemi direction instead. He ended up with one of Sox and Martins 68 Hemi Cudas. It also had a Dvorac motor that made a ton of HP!!! Had the same quality of work as everything Dale touched.
-----At one of the &quot;Field of Dreams&quot; annual races at Quaker City he was supposed to race Porterfield but Bill broke before it could happen. Dale had Ronnie there that weekend to drive the Cuda. They talked me into running Ronnie bracket style. It didnt take much talking! They wouldnt give me much, but I thought &quot;when am I ever going have a chance to race RONNIE SOX&quot;!!! Dale was loving every minute of all this. I can remember his huge smile to this day. I got lucky and Ronnie stood the Cuda on his bumper trying to catch me. I barely eaked out a win, but a foot is as good as a car length. Dale was the first guy over to my space after I parked to congratulate me. Thats just the kind of guy he was.......Bill S