PDA

View Full Version : What is a Day 2 car???

JpMotorsports
09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
I am new to the whole Day 2 car term can someone please explain what a day 2 car is and what makes a car a day 2 car? Is it headers and some aftermarket parts to a pure stock car to make it go faster?

Thanks

Salvatore
09-28-2011, 06:05 PM
The President of the Day-2 Club on this Site is Sam Griffith(Mockingbird) Day-2 Dave Miller and Donny White are Mockingbirds CEO and CFO and personal assistants. So keep asking!

SS427
09-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Picture 1969, you go to your dealer and purchase a brand new 1969 SS396 Chevelle. This would be considered Day 1 so to speak. The first day of ownership. On day 2 (figuratively speaking) you remove the smog, add a Hurst shifter, headers, Cragar SS wheels, ladder bars, Sun Tach, etc, etc. That is what is considered Day II today. These parts to be era correct should have been manufactured somewhat close to the cars build year.

PxTx
09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
It does get confusing because sometimes people refer to "Day 2 parts" on a car and the parts are several years newer. I think the term gets used pretty loosely around here when talking about vintage speed equipment in general. Day 2 is a style of build simply using old non-original parts on a car built with the means and methods of what was popular when the car was new.

I'm with Rick that you have to draw a line on when the old parts become too "modern" or were not available around the time the car was new. I personally feel the line should be drawn a the 2 year mark. So that is my criteria, but if you used it around here- you would still be confused as it clearly has a different meaning to others.

JpMotorsports
09-28-2011, 07:34 PM
So its pretty much referring to a modified car that now has been customized using some era correct performance and detail parts? So on my Malibu I have headers and a column mounted tac ( Not a Sun Tac yet)Along with a bigger carb and a aluminum intake. Would it be considered day 2? even though I wouldn't call it that cause to me the parts aren't that old just have a original look to them.

PxTx
09-28-2011, 09:56 PM
I would not call your Malibu a Day 2 car. If the tach is kinda old, then it may pass. Tommy has some nice old Autometer ones that kinda look like their current offering, but are from the early 1970's. Just trying to say you're not obligated to run a Sun tach to be "Day 2".

If the intake is in old design like a Edelbrock CB3, then you are getting warmer...

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/medium/CB3_003.jpg

How about the Holley, what one do you have?

How about your wheel/tire combo? Care to share some pics?

mockingbird812
09-28-2011, 10:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The President of the Day-2 Club on this Site is Sam Griffith(Mockingbird) Day-2 Dave Miller and Donny White are Mockingbirds CEO and CFO and personal assistants. So keep asking! </div></div>

I am but a flash in the pan compared with the likes of the Day-Two MASTERS <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Miller</span>, <span style="text-decoration: underline">White</span>, &amp; <span style="text-decoration: underline">Scardino</span>!</span></span></span> <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif

John, nice that you are showing interest in this realistic portrayal of our beloved muscle machines. Speaking of &quot;muscle machines&quot;, I was talking to Terry McGean (editor of HMM) the other day and he said that the March '11 edition with the cover photo of the Day-Two Roof Deuce had its highest through put at the newstands for quite some time. He is looking forward to doing future stories on this cool muscle car culture!

Show us your photos and the Masters will give you some tips! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Salvatore
09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Send/show him pictures of your Deuce Sam. With restoring all the original aftermarket parts that came on that Deuce when you bought it will be a picture book account of what we are talking about. The level of that resto and your diligent work and attention to detail defines Day-2 from the early 70's when everything was installed new from the Speed Shops right to the 2011 era. There are many good examples of Day-2 cars out there but yours raised the bar IMO right now.

whitetop
09-28-2011, 10:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm with Rick that you have to draw a line on when the old parts become too &quot;modern&quot; or were not available around the time the car was new. I personally feel the line should be drawn a the 2 year mark. So that is my criteria, but if you used it around here- you would still be confused as it clearly has a different meaning to others.

</div></div>

Paul, what happens to a guy who has a 64 GTO that builds it circa 1970? Under your criteria it is not Day 2 because the parts were made 6 years after the car was made. I think most guys who are into Day 2 mod's want to build a car from the time period they liked the cars or had their first car. For me personally it goes from about 1974 to 1977.

I personally consider anything Day 2 at this point that has vintage speed parts from the 65-75 era and that is rolling as I get older. One guy might like his 67 Camaro to be 1967-68 era correct with chrome reverse wheels , another 1970 time frame with Cragars and another 1974 when he graduated from HS with aluminum slots.
The most important thing with Day 2 is to be uniform and correct. A modern chrome Autometer tach on the column is not Day 2 but a correct Sun, SW or early Autometer is.

What I mean by uniform is pick an era and stick with it. Don't stick early 60's Radir (Rader) wheels on a Camaro along with early 70's equipment.

And to be honest I don't even like the term Day 2 but I have yet to see another term that accurately portrays the era.

I'm also seriously thinking about starting my pet peeve day 2 trends also.

mockingbird812
09-28-2011, 11:08 PM
<span style="font-size: 14pt">Thanks Sammy! Here's a few....</span>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/DSC_0057.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/6E7C0626.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/DSC_0260.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/DSC_0244.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/DSC_0176.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/DSC_0152.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/DSC_0062.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Yenko%20Deuce%20Nova/DSC_0191.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/Restored%20Components/DSC_0043-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/Restored%20Components/DSC_0146.jpg

markinnaples
09-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Good grief, that Nova gets better looking everytime I see it.

What does it sound like with those glasspacks?

Verne_Frantz
09-28-2011, 11:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm with Rick that you have to draw a line on when the old parts become too &quot;modern&quot; or were not available around the time the car was new. <span style="font-weight: bold">I personally feel the line should be drawn a the 2 year mark.</span> So that is my criteria, but if you used it around here- you would still be confused as it clearly has a different meaning to others.

</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">And to be honest I don't even like the term Day 2 but I have yet to see another term that accurately portrays the era.</span>

</div></div>

Well, in that case I guess I can't run my Mickey Thompsons on my '62 anymore because they were made in '65. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

If you don't like &quot;Day-2&quot;, then just call them &quot;Warranty Delete&quot; cars! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

Verne

mockingbird812
09-29-2011, 12:03 AM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif Good one Verne!

Salvatore
09-29-2011, 12:19 AM
No way Verne. That is Day-2. 62 Chevy in 65, you were just by then replacing the aftermarket tires you put on that car around 1963 when you wore out the originals. I have early 80's Cragars direct bolt 15X4's that I am using. That to me is Day-2 for my 69 Z/28. Most people did not have the money to do everything to their cars as soon as they bought them. Many things were a 5-10 year work in progress. I know there is a thin line so we all still have to use our heads. I think the original poster was just trying to establish that if he went to a speed shop or called Jegs or Summit today would that be considered Day-2 for his early chevelle. It would be Day-2 if he put it on a 2008 malibu but not a 70's car. JMO and that is subject like everything else.

Born30YrsLate
09-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Sammy/Schonye this Day2 too stuff is too dramatic...I think I'll go with &quot;as-delivered&quot; at least everyone agrees how cars came out of the factory <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

Tommy Nolen
09-29-2011, 02:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm with Rick that you have to draw a line on when the old parts become too &quot;modern&quot; or were not available around the time the car was new. <span style="font-weight: bold">I personally feel the line should be drawn a the 2 year mark.</span> So that is my criteria, but if you used it around here- you would still be confused as it clearly has a different meaning to others.

</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">And to be honest I don't even like the term Day 2 but I have yet to see another term that accurately portrays the era.</span>

</div></div>

Well, in that case I guess I can't run my Mickey Thompsons on my '62 anymore because they were made in '65. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

If you don't like &quot;Day-2&quot;, then just call them &quot;Warranty Delete&quot; cars! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

Verne </div></div>

Hey Verne,
Keep the Thompsons on it, it's a Day 3 car!!

Nova Jed
09-29-2011, 02:49 AM
Sam (mockingbird812), I swear to god that I have to see that Deuce before I die!!! Hell, I'd even take a flight out there to see it if you'd let me.

And Sammy has gotten the Mister Day 2 title. All these cars look great no matter what.

Salvatore
09-29-2011, 02:53 AM
You are right Jed-I. They are all great cars!

Nova Jed
09-29-2011, 03:43 AM
I appreciate them all Sammy! That's what this hobby is about! The people and their cars. Although I gravitate towards the Novas and Camaros. But I like some Fords, Mopars, and other GM products too!

Verne_Frantz
09-29-2011, 04:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy Nolen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

</div></div>

Verne </div></div>

Hey Verne,
Keep the Thompsons on it, it's a Day 3 car!! </div></div>

Well, I guess I own 2 Day-3 cars then because my other '62 has these ETs on it which also came out in '65.
Verne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/blush.gif

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/VerneFrantz/VLFPrivate/E-Town70ssm.jpg

22 years after that photo was taken, after I bought the car and washed it.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/VerneFrantz/VLFPrivate/RrQtrETcleansm.jpg

Salvatore
09-29-2011, 04:06 AM
You are in like flint Verne!

mockingbird812
09-29-2011, 04:25 AM
Beautimus Verne!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

Verne_Frantz
09-29-2011, 04:35 AM
And what about this stuff?? This is the way I got it; I didn't do any of that! (But.......I'm keeping it right where it is)
Verne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/VerneFrantz/VLFPrivate/Gaugepanel.jpg

JpMotorsports
09-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Love the lower gauge pod on that nova. I will try and get some pics up asap. I doubt my parts are that old. But looking to get more period correct aftermarket parts. I love the sun tachs. I have a edelbrock intake that was on the car when I bought it but it dosent look that old compared to the one in the pic provided.This is something I am interested in and will pursue so i hope yahll dont get mad about me asking some silly questions as I learn and build uo my car.

PxTx
09-29-2011, 04:56 AM
I think we all can agree to call them cool.

Dave, I hear what you are saying. For me, if I was buildig my 65 Malibu with parts circa 1970, I would not call it Day-2, simply a &quot;period piece&quot;.

As for keeping things uniform, well it is nice but there are a few things I'll ovrlook. MSD ignitions help make tunnel ram so much more street friendly that I'll give it a pass- though I do like early version above others.

Verne, I certainly can be influenced to change my mind on what defines Day-2 to me. What do you think it should be?

Sammy I think we'll both agree that a set of 1969 Cragar wheels are more correct from a Day 2 perspective than ones for a decade later. All things being equal- which ones would you want? At some point we'll all accept &quot;close enough&quot; for the spirit of a Day 2 build, but I'd hate to blur the lines between truely authentic and close enough when we are asked to define Day 2.

GTO_DON
09-29-2011, 05:42 AM
I think these 2 pics say it all.

PxTx
09-29-2011, 05:46 AM
I've seen the car several times locally and really like it. Is that your car Don?

What is the story behind the build? I've always wondered what the deal was with the HEI and the Sun tach box.

Born30YrsLate
09-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Last I knew a friend of mine up here bought this car...this was about a year ago, and haven't seen him since then so I don't know if he still has the car. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

JpMotorsports
09-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Man that is a crazy looking 68. Very cool engine compartment!

Canuck
09-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Miller, White, &amp; Scardino!

Isn't that a Philadelphia Law firm?

On the subject of day 2, what if a person buys a 3 year old stock (as factory delivered) muscle car and then does his modifications. Is that day 2 or day 1002!

Paul

Verne_Frantz
09-29-2011, 10:57 PM
No, you have that confused with Ben Dover &amp; I.L. xxxxx (we all know how to pronounce that last name)

Verne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Paul_S
09-30-2011, 03:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And to be honest I don't even like the term Day 2 but I have yet to see another term that accurately portrays the era.
</div></div>
Period Correct Mods.

Paul

mockingbird812
09-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Paul - I agree with your descriptive phrase, but it has got to be sexier IMO! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

68l30
09-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Day two...

Lakewood Bars, A&amp;A front spoiler, headers...

68l30
09-30-2011, 07:38 PM
week 2...

American mags..( not the Summit brand)

68l30
09-30-2011, 07:39 PM
More..

68l30
09-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Old skool SW 960 and 2-5/8 gauges with redline pointers, vintage gold metal flake helmet, and AHRA / NHRA rule book..

markinnaples
09-30-2011, 07:45 PM
LOVE that Camaro.

68l30
09-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Winters intake, 780 Holley, headers, milled 462's...

68l30
09-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Micky Thompson S/S slicks mounted on 14 X 7 XT's .... open exhaust, 4000 stall , 4:10 rear and ready to rumble...

Salvatore
09-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Everything about that car is killer IMO. Spot on! Great color too.

sYc
09-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Yenko SC427 Nova, add headers, slapper bars, Cragars and narrow Stahls on the front, steelies and cheaters on the rear, a few race decals.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/kwhizz/SCR11/DSC02297.jpg

markinnaples
09-30-2011, 09:15 PM
That Nova must be ridiculously fast, whew.

And agreed, love the color of that Camaro too; you really don't see enough of the more unusual factory colors.

sYc
09-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Cool... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&amp;Number=27397&amp;filename= rear shot bw (3).JPG

JpMotorsports
09-30-2011, 09:59 PM
What a sweet looking Camaro!

Xplantdad
09-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Both are awesome...

Hi Big Steve! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

m22mike
09-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Big, you going to the IX center on Sat.? I missed not seeing your car this year.

Mike

68l30
10-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif I really enjoy the Day 2 type cars. Always have. Mine has been in this configuration one way or another since 85. Every time I say I'm going back to stock I think of how I'm going to feel next time I'm at a light and get the urge to let her rip...It's not going to cut it.My cars a lot more fun going sideways! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif

Not going to make it Mike...But I am looking to put a group together for next year...??

Hey Bruce... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

Big

Xplantdad
10-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Good for you Steve...I loved when my Chevelle went sideways <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Salvatore
10-01-2011, 03:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sYc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yenko SC427 Nova, add headers, slapper bars, Cragars and narrow Stahls on the front, steelies and cheaters on the rear, a few race decals.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/kwhizz/SCR11/DSC02297.jpg </div></div>another great car with all the correct stuff!

mockingbird812
10-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Big Steve! Good to hear from u. That Camaro is <span style="font-size: 20pt">killer</span>! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Schonyenko2
10-01-2011, 06:40 AM
The discussion, and examples are very good. The reality of why hipo cars were day2'd is that if you bought a fast car, you probably had at least street racing in mind in the late 60s, early 70s. An as delivered car, even a COPO camaro would get it's lunch handed to it by a good running 340 Cuda with bigger tires set up for traction, while the COPO sat there spinning all that HP. Fat tires, traction devices, and headers were about the 1st step you made after bringing the car home if you were going to try to run with the boys. That's day 2. Day 3 and 4, and 5 came with bigger carb/carbs, electric fuel pump/s, lower gear sets, roll bars, custom paint, and various add ons to make it go faster. In those times, the car became a 4 wheeled extension of you, and your personality. I guess you had to live the times to understand better. I'm glad I survived it. (big smile)

ORIGLS6
10-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Sometimes I'm happy I'm this old cause I lived through the best times a 'car guy' could ever imagine. Like Schonye mentioned, a stock COPO, or BB Camaro or Nova was a sitting duck to a 'prepped' street rat. Two of my friends bought new L-78 cars; one a Camaro 4 speed and the other an Auto Nova (in '69). On our 1/8 mile strip with their cars in stock trim, my L-35 '68 Chevelle 4 speed with L-60s had both of them covered. I could use the extra rear weight of the Chevelle to my advantage while they both fought to get grip.
Now, ...... add the Day 2 accessories to all the cars and it was a TOTALLY different scenario! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cry.gif

Salvatore
10-01-2011, 02:02 PM
You 2 mid-west guys say it best!

PxTx
10-02-2011, 03:04 AM
Just saw Terry McGean talking about Day 2 in Hemmings. He sums up the &quot;Day 2 look&quot; as the use of period aftermarket equipment to replicate the appearance of the typical hot rodder's muscle car post-delivery.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/Plowman7/Day%202%20Stuff/day2hem.jpg

Some other nice ideas and perspective in there. Worth picking up. Do you already have this one Sam? It is actually the picture that my eye focuses on immediately.

MrsBillyBobcat
10-02-2011, 03:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you already have this one Sam? It is actually the picture that my eye focuses on immediately. </div></div>

Mine too! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

mockingbird812
10-02-2011, 05:34 AM
That lower right shot above is of my Deuce. I haven't seen that article yet. Thanks.

MrsBillyBobcat
10-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Thought so Sam <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif...I'd recognize those wheels and tires anywhere! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif