PDA

View Full Version : 72 Formula 455HO/4 spd

Grant Didmon
10-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I have just joined the Registry today,because on Friday the 14th,I am buying my first super car that I totally lucked into.it is an original 72 Formula 455 HO,4 speed car,one of 10 only HO's sold in Canada.I have the GM of Canada documentation,PHS documentation,and still have 6 more sleeps until I get the car home.It is loaded with factory ordered options,Air,PW/P/locks,tilt,gauges,AM/fM,rear speaker,electric rear window de-icer,and super rare special order paint,code W-51,on GM of Canada documents,and Code 1 on PHS documents,with no record of the paint colour at Pontiac historical.The data plate on the firewall is double dash for paint code.it is a black Formula,deluxe black interior,Just turned 90,000 miles ,with 2000 miles on the rebuilt of the original motor.Looking forward to this Friday,as the car is only 25 minutes away from coming to a new home.

Charley Lillard
10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Congrats and welcome to the site...That fills our quota of Pontiac guys named Grant.

StealthBird
10-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Welcome Grant! Photos are required on this site. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

If this were an automatic car, it almost sounds like the car that was specially built for Pontiac president James McDonald, who replaced John DeLorean in 1969. By 1972, the F-body was in danger of being discontinued. James McDonald liked luxury cars, so the boys built him a fully loaded black 1972 Formula 455HO, which he used as his own personal car. They said it swayed his opinion of the Firebird, and he agreed to argue with GM to keep the F-body alive. McDonald left Pontiac in late 1972, replaced by Caserio, who was focused on marketing and sales rather than performance. The SD-455 was the first of the projects to be under Caserio's scrutiny, and he didn't like what he saw. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

I have photos of McDonalds 1972 Formula 455HO somewhere. I think it had something like 33 options.

68 Vert
10-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Welcome to the site! Pictures are definitely mandatory...what wheels did the car come with from the factory?

Honey's would look killer on a black car...

njsteve
10-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Pictures now!!!

I'd love a black Formula. The car sounds awesome.

Wanna trade? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

RAIIIT/A
10-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Sounds like a cool car..

StealthBird
10-09-2011, 03:29 AM
Steve, do you recall the black 72 Formula 455HO 4-speed on E-bay, I think around 2009? I believe that was out of Wilson Pontiac in MD. I think I have the invoice for that car. I recall it having the rear spoiler, but Rally II's.

I remember that the James McDonald car (black, auto) had honeycombs, and every available option. There was a super thick binder of documentation that accompanied that car.

A black 72 Formula Firebird is just plain cool. With a rear spoiler, that special hood, 455 HO, and those honeycomb wheels matching the one-year only honeycomb grilles, it's at the top of my list of cars to own someday. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

grantprix
10-09-2011, 04:07 AM
Hello there... fellow Grant!!! Nice to see another here and a Pontiac guy as well. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif That sounds like an amazing car you found. Like the others, looking forward to some photos...

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

MrsBillyBobcat
10-09-2011, 04:17 AM
<span style="font-size: 14pt">Welcome Grant!</span> <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats and welcome to the site...That fills our quota of Pontiac guys named Grant. </div></div>

LOL Charley! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif

njsteve
10-09-2011, 04:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, do you recall the black 72 Formula 455HO 4-speed on E-bay, I think around 2009? I believe that was out of Wilson Pontiac in MD. I think I have the invoice for that car. I recall it having the rear spoiler, but Rally II's.

I remember that the James McDonald car (black, auto) had honeycombs, and every available option. There was a super thick binder of documentation that accompanied that car.

A black 72 Formula Firebird is just plain cool. With a rear spoiler, that special hood, 455 HO, and those honeycomb wheels matching the one-year only honeycomb grilles, it's at the top of my list of cars to own someday. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

Yes i remember that car. I think i saved some photos from the listing. Very cool.

Tenney
10-09-2011, 07:17 AM
I'd be counting my sleeps, too - welcome and congrats! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif

Grant Didmon
10-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Thank you for all the welcoming messages.The 72 HO also was ordered with the 15X7 honey combs,full tinted glass,Y-99 suspension,and the passenger sunvisor mirror.The honey combs are still flawless,and the tires are those old w/l Goodyear Eagle ST's,but there isn't much tread left on them,but not a blemish on the outside,they are probably 25 years old.The car has only gone 12,000 miles in the past 18 years,it is all documented.There are boxes full of bills,and they might go back to the original owner,as the one I pulled out to see how old
they were was from 1977.I get all that stuff and parts too?,when I get the car this Friday morning.It was also ordered with the back bumperetts,and they were not on the car,and then I found them sitting on the original bumper which was stored in the garage.The only non stock item on the car,and I am so glad it was added after the fact, is the rear spoiler.

njsteve
10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
That's funny about the rear spoiler addition. There is a militant camp over at the Performanceyears.com site in the 70-73 Firebird section that have just about started an insurrection against all the Formulas that have had spoilers added to them over the years.

I kinda like the clean fastback look without it. But to each his own.

We're still waiting on those photos!!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Grant Didmon
10-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I will be sending photos when I get it home this Friday,also I have to figure out how to add them to a post?

Xplantdad
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grant Didmon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be sending photos when I get it home this Friday,also I have to figure out how to add them to a post? </div></div>

You can go here Picture posting tutorial (http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=456147#Post4561 47)

or you can send them to me....and I'll get them posted for you <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Grant Didmon
10-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Thank you for the help

Brewster
10-19-2011, 01:20 AM
Sounds like a great car and look forward in seeing some pictures too!
Many Happy Miles,
Brew

CR97WS6
10-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Welcome!!

Grant Didmon
10-20-2011, 04:13 AM
I have not been able to post any pictures,as my lovely wife is on a cruise in Europe with her girlfriend and took our digital camera with her,and she is not back till the end of next week.She doesn't know I bought the Formula last friday so its our secret.I got a box of bills from the widow,and two days After I bought it,I finally got to go through them all,and I have all the bills back to the original owner,how cool is that.The car has all it's original panels/trunk and floors.It was painted in 1985 and it is still a really nice 5 footer.The last owner of 25 years who pased away,took the 455 Formula signs off the fenders,and took the Ram Air decals off the hood scoops,as he was paranoid on having the car stolen.In July 1987 he had the car broken into,the perfect black deluxe seats stolen completely,and the Insurance company put in redyed red to black 78-80 style Firebird seats in it.I checked all the glass codes today,and sure enough the drivers window was smashed to get into the car,as it is some weird brand,but I found the car still has the original windshield in it.It spent it's first 14 years in London Ontario,and only had 53,000 miles when they shipped it to the West coast of Canada to the new buyer,that person who passed away and I got to buy it.It is the most powerful car I have ever owned,and I had a LS5 70 Chevelle convert in the late 90's,and this pulls way stronger than the Chevelle did, and the original M-22 in the Formula is a treat to be shifting through the gears. Grant

RicksFormula
10-22-2011, 06:29 PM
what a great find! congrats and I can't wait to see the photos. I have a '72 Formula 455HO that I've been restoring for almost 5 years now. Here is a pic of the special paint black '72 Formula 455 that was mentioned above from Wilson Pontiac in Maryland. It came with M-22, gauges, PW, and A/C, 15&quot; rally II's and spoiler.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/RicksFormula/Paperwork%20and%20Misc/72FormulaBlack.jpg

njsteve
10-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Rick, that's the one that was on ebay a few years ago. Looks awesome - We need more photos now!

RicksFormula
10-22-2011, 08:31 PM
hey Steve, I remember two special paint black '72 455HO's on eBay in the last 3-4 years, this one may have been the one that was for sale in PA, or the one in the LA area? I get them mixed up. If I remember correctly, one said the original owner claimed the car was delivered in factory primer and painted at the dealer upon arrival. Would be interesting to see what was still on the cowl sides of these cars.

njsteve
10-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Actually, I think they were the same car, yours. I recently contacted the PA guy that originally listed the Wilson Pontiac car in Oct 2008 (I still have the Wilson Pontiac PHS in my archives of photos - last 2 digits of VIN are &quot;89&quot;) and he said he sold it to a guy out in CA who then immediately flipped it, most likely to you. Glad to see it went to a worthy home. If you ever want to &quot;flip it&quot; back to the east coast, I'd love to have it. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

RicksFormula
10-23-2011, 03:26 AM
I wish that one were mine too, I just have the one Revere Silver eternal project.

njsteve
10-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Ok, now I understand, you have one but it's not that black one.

Sorry, about that. English is my second language...Jersey is my primary. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Grant Didmon
10-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Rick,great looking 72,what was the build date on your car,it would be interesting if they were going down the assembly line together,with so many of the same options,is your data plate double slash where the paint code is supposed to be also?
Grant

Grant Didmon
10-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Rick
sorry I too thought it was your black one,god I hate getting old.
Grant

njsteve
10-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Grant, it looks like me and you got the same disease! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Grant Didmon
10-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Well at least we still have a smile on our face.

RicksFormula
10-24-2011, 03:16 AM
I changed a bit quick from mentioning my car to the picture of the black car!
Most special paint Firebirds including the '72 Black T/A seemed to get the double dashes, but I do remember one '71 Formula 455 on Performance Years that had the 19 19 for Starlight Black on the data tag.

njsteve
10-24-2011, 04:40 AM
I believe that is because you could get a black Firebird in 71 but had to special order it in 72 and beyond...til the black and gold cars showed up in '76

Lloyd-TX
10-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh, come on now Rick - don't be shy. Post up some pics of that AWESOME Revere Silver '72 HO Formula you're restoring!

Norwood
10-29-2011, 04:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's funny about the rear spoiler addition. There is a militant camp over at the Performanceyears.com site in the 70-73 Firebird section that have just about started an insurrection against all the Formulas that have had spoilers added to them over the years.

I kinda like the clean fastback look without it. But to each his own.

We're still waiting on those photos!!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif </div></div>

Steve the deal is Rear spoilers were not avalible on anything other than a Trans Am in 1970. So the issue is the addition of a rear spoiler to a 70 Formula, it just should not be there <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

njsteve
10-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Didnt know that about the 70 model year. Im with you on the clean look, unless it was ordered with it orignally, of course.

StealthBird
10-29-2011, 08:27 PM
I actually prefer the rear spoiler on the 70-81 Birds. Pontiac originally intended the rear spoiler to be a Trans Am feature only in 1970 (as in 1969), but the spoiler proved very popular, and they added it to the option list in 1971.

There's a great story about how Chevrolet tried to steal that 1970 Trans Am spoiler away for their 70 Z/28.

Vince Piggins (Chevrolet’s Product Promotion manager) not only loved the Trans Am rear spoiler, but after he saw the test results of how much downforce it created, he wanted the spoiler for the 1970 Z/28. He called the spoiler manufacturer, and asked about production timetables.

A Pontiac purchasing manager was furious when their spoiler supplier informed him that Chevrolet requested the Pontiac designed spoiler. He told the supplier that under no circumstances could any parts or tooling be used by any other GM division, unless approved by Pontiac, in writing. Pontiac had spent a great deal of money on the tooling, and considered the 1970 Trans Am spoiler to be theirs.

So back to Vince Piggins, who then went all the way up the ladder to Jim McDonald, General Manager of Pontiac. The Pontiac stylists stood their ground, and argued with Jim McDonald that their spoiler design was crucial to the overall look and functionality of the 70 Trans Am. But diplomacy prevailed, Chevrolet was top dog, and McDonald ok’d the use of the Trans Am spoiler for Chevrolet. But to appease his Pontiac stylists, he told Chevrolet they could use the spoiler, but they had to redesign the end caps to give the Z/28 a different look. But the new tooling took time, so the smaller “nub” spoiler continued in production until the ducktail style spoiler became available mid way into the 1970 model year.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

njsteve
10-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Sibling rivalry at its best. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Norwood
10-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Here is a pic of Phil Boris' beautiful 70 COPO with the &quot;Trans Am&quot; spoiler from the factory.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n250/crabs24/norwood%20gathering/norwoodgathering026.jpg

Brewster
11-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I have to admit Phil's car was killer but that Spoiler just didnt look right. It was out of place on the car dimension wise and made the rear look tacky.

No offense Phil!

mockingbird812
11-08-2011, 10:26 PM
&quot;<span style="font-style: italic">I have to admit</span>...&quot; I don't think you <span style="text-decoration: underline">HAD</span> to!

StealthBird
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I thought this was appropriate to this thread. This black 71 Formula 455HO just popped up on E-Bay. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-F...=item20bef38ff2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Firebird-FORMULA-1971-PONTIAC-FORMULA-FIRBIRD-455-H-O-/140642586610?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&amp;hash=item20bef38ff2 )

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODk4WDE2MDA=/$(KGrHqV,!g0E6ZCwQ)wpBOwy0c(YYw~~60_3.JPG

69Tom
11-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Honestly love that car. Really cool.

sunriseautomotivellc
12-17-2020, 08:18 PM
Welcome Grant! Photos are required on this site. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

If this were an automatic car, it almost sounds like the car that was specially built for Pontiac president James McDonald, who replaced John DeLorean in 1969. By 1972, the F-body was in danger of being discontinued. James McDonald liked luxury cars, so the boys built him a fully loaded black 1972 Formula 455HO, which he used as his own personal car. They said it swayed his opinion of the Firebird, and he agreed to argue with GM to keep the F-body alive. McDonald left Pontiac in late 1972, replaced by Caserio, who was focused on marketing and sales rather than performance. The SD-455 was the first of the projects to be under Caserio's scrutiny, and he didn't like what he saw. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

I have photos of McDonalds 1972 Formula 455HO somewhere. I think it had something like 33 options.

I currently own this Black 1972 Pontiac Firebird Formula 455 HO "James McDonald car" facebook page; Sunrise Automotive LLC

sunriseautomotivellc
12-17-2020, 08:19 PM
I currently own this Black 1972 Pontiac Firebird Formula 455 HO "James McDonald car" facebook page; Sunrise Automotive LLC

Jonesy
12-17-2020, 10:03 PM
Heres Sunriseautomotives car

Jonesy
12-17-2020, 10:04 PM
PHS sheets

Jonesy
12-17-2020, 10:05 PM
Nice car!!!!

R68GTO
12-17-2020, 10:38 PM
Wowser!

Mallard
12-21-2020, 10:01 PM
Nice car!!!!

No kidding! Absolutely gorgeous!

The Boss
01-05-2021, 08:26 PM
Cool car, glad it's back out! Sat on a lift in a garage in Detroit for years.