PDA

View Full Version : This engine defines Day 2

whitetop
11-01-2011, 02:25 PM
IMO this is the definitive Day 2 engine compartment.

This picture can write the book. Has the oh so typical parts of the era, MT valve covers, x-type manifold, Cal Custom air cleaner, Accel ignition and of course this is the real deal taken back in the day. This look can be transplanted right onto a big block and it would look the same.

Clean and spotless, excellent workmanship, nothing sticks out like a sore thumb saying "I don't belong here"(except the alarm). Speed equipment right out of the box without further owner personalized mods. No flashy engine compartment paint to distract from the engine.

...and no cheap, gaudy chrome dime store gizmos that always seemed to come later -radiator covers,fender braces, alternators or brackets, chrome battery hold downs.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/day2engine.jpg

whitetop
11-01-2011, 02:39 PM
And yes, the picture was reversed when printed.

whitetop
12-19-2011, 03:20 AM
Weiand TR on a 427 in a '69 Chevelle circa 1973. More Year 3-4 than Day 2. This is without a doubt a super clean engine compartment. Probably one of the first cars to use stainless steel braided hose on the street. This guy was way ahead of the curve because SS hoses did not really get popular for another 2-3 years.

Hey Novaman check out the zip ties LOL.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/trengine-1.jpg

mockingbird812
12-19-2011, 04:06 AM
curious that this guy used a separate sending unit for the tach when all in one tach/sending units had been out for awhile. Also is that a couple of breather hoses coming off of the Delco battery to vent the battery gases?

'56 150
12-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Weren't those battery caps w/hoses used on C3 vettes with the battery located in the interior compartment. Also i see lots of zip ties! Using a SUN EB sending unit does seem strange for 1973 unless it was on the car from '69.

olredalert
12-19-2011, 06:35 AM
----Guess I dont dispute you for the most part, except for the upper radiator hose! There is no excuse for that. Not saying I would like it, but I would rather have the stainless hose in the next picture, although its like the lesser of two evils......Bill S

whitetop
12-19-2011, 02:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Guess I dont dispute you for the most part, except for the upper radiator hose! There is no excuse for that. Not saying I would like it, but I would rather have the stainless hose in the next picture, although its like the lesser of two evils......Bill S </div></div>

Yeah, the universal radiator hose ruins the whole picture.

GTO_DON
12-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Reminds me alot of y 68 day 2 car. This was done like this in 69 im told.

day2killa
12-20-2011, 02:43 AM
here is a pic of the engine compartment of the Chevelle my Dad and I built looks like it had some day 2 goodies before the rebuild, shame we dont have them anymore.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h31/oldprobmx/IMG_0004.jpg

Nova Jed
12-20-2011, 02:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTO_DON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reminds me alot of y 68 day 2 car. This was done like this in 69 im told.</div></div>

Don, wasn't your engine pictured in Super Chevy?

GTO_DON
12-21-2011, 12:05 AM
It might have been.