PDA

View Full Version : Russ Dunmire maiden voyage!

Jim Ferron
11-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Purchased from a post here on Yenko.net from Kevin Suydam...So long ago I don't remember...

The 'Russ Dumire' former NHRA stock class record holder.

Until an hour ago, I had never driven the car...today I DROVE it to it's winter resting spot...yipee!!

We remember what happened the LAST time this car was driven..right? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif

http://www.classicperformance.com/ebay_pics/byebye2011.jpg

SS427
11-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Vaguely...... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif Sure has come a long way back from the dead and looks great.

Salvatore
11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
I would be driving that car whenever the snow was not falling Jim. Nice job,more pictures!

PeteLeathersac
11-04-2011, 10:46 PM
BIG C<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gifNGRATS!!!
Another great inspiration for us guys w/ projects to get finished!.
Does it need the 'spring adjustment' test-drives by friendly site members?.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

http://hotimg25.fotki.com/a/76_75/119_96/dunmireolds-vi.jpg (http://hotimg25.fotki.com/p/a/76_75/119_96/dunmireolds-vi.jpg)

Jim Ferron
11-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Hey Sammy, Like the way I got the front end 'sky' jacked???

Everybody sez what the hell is going on...and I get wood every time I see it!

It is so high I had to put ball joint spacers in it and remove the snubbers!!

mockingbird812
11-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Very nice Jim. More pix and how does she drive! Straight headers?

Stefano
11-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Let's see some details too!

JOZW30
11-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I had given this car up for dead.......

Love to see more pictures of the restoration too.

Great job!!

Tenney
11-05-2011, 03:23 PM
2 cool! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Plans to letter it?

Jim Ferron
11-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Yep, It will be lettered back to original when everything else is done. I'm getting to old to restore cars. I beleive this one will be the last.

You can see some resto pictures at my site..I haven't updated it in YEARS as I'm not in touch with the guy who built the site for me

www.68hurstolds.com (http://www.68hurstolds.com)

Charley Lillard
11-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Thanks for saving it. I remember drooling over it at Barrett-Jackson and talking to the owner before it got wrecked. Great car.

74NovaSS
11-27-2011, 05:00 AM
That is looking awesome.... You know more pics would be great... but there's this thing called youtube .. Take us for a ride with your digital video recorder huh?

owners2
12-15-2011, 02:47 AM
That is such a great looking car. Awesome that you saved it.

scuncio
12-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Great car and KILLER stance. Just perfect.

daverd
01-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Fantastic Job!!!!!
I saw the car at the musclepaloosa drags when it was partially done.

Jim Ferron
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm going to letter it back to original...but I'm using vinyl this time... I think I'm going to put my name on the roof as 'owner'

Is that a good idea?

I sent the numbers carb off to Eric for restoration.

Spring time I'll put a new exhaust system of some sort on it...Looking for suggestions there as well. It has a full stock system on the car now...But I'm thinking it maybe should have headers and header mufflers on it...The 'first ' restoration kinda leaned turning it into a street car...but it's not...It's a race car....

As you can see I removed the 'wrong' Ansen Sprints and installed the correct chrome slots. Gonna put some vintage gauges in it as well...

mockingbird812
01-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Jim,

If car was run in stock class you may be able to run headers and just hang the stock exhaust (pipes and mufflers) off of the header at a single attachement point with one bolt/nut (effectively running headers only) depending on what the rules were. It'll be loud but it'll draw some attention to your neat, historical ride.

Vintage gauges will be a nice touch.

Good luck and keep us posted (with lots of pix)!

Only photo I have available right now shows (if you look real hard) how the original owner of my Chevelle hung his exhaust so that the orignal exhaust pipes and mufflers were in place, but rules allowed him to run thru headers only.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/69%20300%20Deluxe%20L78/TrophyChevelle014-1.jpg

DW31S
02-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Great job on a great car!!! I really like the stance as it kinda resembles how my '69 W-31 sits. My car, as you might know is on the cover and featured in the Feb. 2012 Muscle Car Review.
That Russ Dunmire car was always one of my favorites (I am partial to dealer-sponsored Oldsmobile stockers) and it always was presented well with a good clean appearance.
As for the exhaust---it had to remain on the car during competition but could be opened from the headers. I have a pic of my car from 1969 running F/S at Capitol raceway and the exhaust is clearly visible.
Do you plan to drive your car at all on the street? Any Nostalgia races? How about attending the York U.S.30 Dragway reunion in July? That is a great show and your car would be a real hit.