PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass scoop

brent396
11-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Does any one make the plexiglass scoop iam looking for one and what colors did they come in lets see some pics http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/SPIKEYZ0/user109593_pic213534_1282953549.jpg

Nova Jed
11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
That is one Bad A$$ Nova! Two of my most favorite cars in one picture. Sweet!

PxTx
11-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I've always thought those were self made custom jobs. For those guys that wanted to see past a Tunnel Ram scoop when driving.

whitetop
11-27-2011, 04:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brent396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does any one make the plexiglass scoop iam looking for one and what colors did they come in lets see some pics </div></div>

Brent, two companies made clear plexiglass scoops for tunnel rams back in the day. There were small bubble type scoops made also.

One was Northeast Performance out of NY. Made a large grump lump in clear, smoke, blue, green, red and orange.

The other one was PSP which made scoops in clear and smoke. here is a picture of the ad.

The candy red/blue Nova pics I posted has a PSP scoop on it and his friends early Nova has one as well.

I had a green Northeast scoop at one time.

I have never seen another NP other than mine nor a PSP scoop ever.

I seriously checked into having these scoops made from my green NP scoop. For starters the plexiglass was 1/4 thick (but when vacuum formed went to 3/16)and several companies that I contacted that could vacuum form this thickness wanted something like $300-350 each and that was not covering the material which is very expensive in 1/4&quot; form. They also wanted to do something like 75-100 minimum because these companies do 500-2000 vf's per day and did not want to stop their lines.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/pspad.jpg

MosportGreen66
11-27-2011, 05:05 PM
like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/mosportgreen66/_DSC0041-3.jpg

whitetop
12-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Here is the Northeast Performance scoop-about 8&quot; tall and 1-2 inches longer than the A&amp;A scoop

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/IMG_2301.jpg

brent396
12-01-2011, 05:20 AM
Very cool scoop someone should redo some plexiglass scoops

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I would like to put one on Benjamin's Nova as well, but was planning on just making one like Howie did for his Camaro. I didn't know of these 2 companies that used to make them, interesting.....

Here is one from a Camaro:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/69NovaHoodScoopclear.jpg

whitetop
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I didn't know of these 2 companies that used to make them, interesting.....

</div></div>

Speed equipment and how it was utilized was very regional based back in the day. NY and the east was very influenced by the drag look while out west it was more Trans AM/road race influenced.

Guages for instance. East coast and midwest guys would commonly run them around the steering column or on the cowl of the car but out west they would insert them in the dash of the car...not all cases of course but that was the trend.

The plexiglass scoops was definitely a NY/east coast trend..

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Agree 100% on the cowl gauges - everyone seemed to have 'em back in the mid '80's. I love 'em - Benjamin's car will have them too! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

PxTx
12-02-2011, 02:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brent396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool scoop someone should redo some plexiglass scoops </div></div>

I'm looking into this, but a mold needs to be made. What would you guys think, a clear Grump Lump may be the best design? Probably only gonna make 1 run and be done. Not really looking to saturate the market and water down the &quot;cool factor&quot;.

Most likely gonna just do clear, then you can Candy paint them to add color.

x Baldwin Motion
12-02-2011, 03:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...... was planning on just making one like Howie did for his Camaro...... </div></div>

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/154661_1710325926055_1475314340_31796784_7925717_n .jpg

whitetop
12-02-2011, 03:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brent396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool scoop someone should redo some plexiglass scoops </div></div>

I'm looking into this, but a mold needs to be made. What would you guys think, a clear Grump Lump may be the best design? Probably only gonna make 1 run and be done. Not really looking to saturate the market and water down the &quot;cool factor&quot;.

Most likely gonna just do clear, then you can Candy paint them to add color. </div></div>

Paul, smoke plexiglass also look nice.

What kind of prices have you received? Did you see what I was quoted above? Of course the two co's that I approached were very large co's that deal with large corporate orders and they did not really want to mess with my small job and many co's do not have the set up to do 1/4&quot; thick plexi

The 1/4 after forming gets kinds thin...I'm not sure I would do anything less than that-engine heat might distort anything thinner????

PxTx
12-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Dave, thanks for your post about your attempt to have some made. After reading that, I knew I had to find a small fellow with low overhead.

I'm discussing it right now with an enthusiastic guy. I'm actually discussing the mold right now, that- I'll own. The cost of the scoops has not been nailed down, but I expect it to be competitive with other scoops if done in clear.

I know the colored stuff gets expensive, and I would expect smoke too. Do you see any down side to simply painting a clear scoop with candy paint?

whitetop
12-02-2011, 04:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you see any down side to simply painting a clear scoop with candy paint? </div></div>

I have seen some flat plexi side windows sprayed and while it looks nice from a distance you can tell up close.

I think it would be near impossible to spray candy color inside the scoop and get even coverage/no runs etc in the corners and walls.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
If you make some, I'm buying one for sure. I'd prefer clear, but the I'm not picky when it comes to 'cool'!

ORIGLS6
12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
I know a couple of local guys would be in for those as well, ........ and who am I kidding? I'd buy one for 'wall art'!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

daverd
12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I wiil buy a scoop in any color or clear.....

chevyandpontiac
12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Paul, I would be all over one of these. This is the cool factor, what a great way to show off a tunnel ram.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-02-2011, 09:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Day2 speedshop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paul, I would be all over one of these. This is the cool factor, what a great way to show off a tunnel ram.

</div></div>

X2 - exactly why we want one too!

Hemicolt
12-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Found this on Ebay. Looks like it could be used for a transmission tunnel also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Plastic-Ho...ies&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Plastic-Hood-Scoop-Carb-Air-Gasser-Pro-Shaker-New-/390315314037?hash=item5ae09b0b75&amp;item=390315314037 &amp;pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&amp;vxp=mtr)

day2killa
02-17-2012, 02:23 PM
http://www.danneumannracecars.com/store.html

found this today it says send him a templet and get it made

PxTx
02-17-2012, 05:35 PM
I got distracted wiht the NMW stuff, but should get back on this. I'm at a point where I need to nail down the dimentions of the scoop.

I don't have one to copy, but this is the one I owuld like to mimic:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/IMG_2301.jpg

Maybe make it a touch shorter. I would love any input from anyone with an example. I just don't want to get it &quot;wrong&quot;, if you know what I mean.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't have any dimensions - but put me down for one!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-17-2020, 06:51 PM
Anyone making these??

We are taking Benjamin's '69 Nova to the Motorama Show in Harrisburg, PA next month, would love to have one for his car.

I might just have to look up Howie's old pics and instructions and try making one....

A green lexan grump lump style would look pretty cool on this car!

big gear head
01-17-2020, 07:19 PM
You need to bring this green machine to SCR in July!

Mr70
01-17-2020, 07:44 PM
Marlin
Try contacting VFN here in Addison Il.http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/catalog.htm
I talked to them awhile ago and they mentioned they were going to be making them for various cars.
Don't know if that ever came to a reality or not.

Burd
01-17-2020, 08:27 PM
Photo $hit bucket sucks.
The shop I worked at, we did plexi bending & welding. Lost art.

Bernhard
01-28-2020, 01:50 PM
Photo $hit bucket sucks.
The shop I worked at, we did plexi bending & welding. Lost art.

This brings back memories the high school that I attended had a amazing trades program,
plastics was one of the classes they taught.
They taught bending fusing with solvent and vacuum forming its much like working with wood as you know. Cut to size, finish exposed edges, bend,glue up, final finishing.
Totally a day two part.
The times were much more hands on DIY.

racer67x
02-03-2020, 11:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MkSKtxm.jpg
if you look close you can see the one I made for my Chevelle back in the early 80's,cut the pieces from lexan then glued them with a hot glue gun.
its a little crude but kept things dry if I ever got caught in the rain.
it attached with 2 small "L" brackets under the hood.
I need to do something again like that for my Rally Nova. :)

markinnaples
02-04-2020, 01:24 PM
racer67X, I've seen pics of your '68 Chevelle online for years. That thing was awesome, do you happen to have it or know what happened to it? Super cool, and it always made the 70's street machine pages online.

JoeC
02-05-2020, 07:26 PM
do a search on Acrylic aquariums or fish tanks

there are shops that make them and sell material for do it yourself projects

Plexiglass is a common term used for cell cast acrylic

Bernhard
02-06-2020, 03:07 AM
https://i.imgur.com/MkSKtxm.jpg
if you look close you can see the one I made for my Chevelle back in the early 80's,cut the pieces from lexan then glued them with a hot glue gun.
its a little crude but kept things dry if I ever got caught in the rain.
it attached with 2 small "L" brackets under the hood.
I need to do something again like that for my Rally Nova. :)

Very Cool !!
If you build another pick up the solvent that is used to fuse the plastic.
If will provide seamless joints after finishing.

Burd
02-06-2020, 12:59 PM
When we welded plex, we first cut on the saw with a plastic blade, so you start with a smooth cut, then figured a tad over so each joint could run across the jointer a pass. 1/32, When welded, it looks great.

racer67x
02-19-2020, 11:45 PM
racer67X, I've seen pics of your '68 Chevelle online for years. That thing was awesome, do you happen to have it or know what happened to it? Super cool, and it always made the 70's street machine pages online.
hey Mark..I grew up near the the South Hills of Pittsburgh and bought the Chevelle the year I graduated High School in '79 thru a cousin,towed it up north with a u haul towbar from Smithfield,NC..paid $1000.
owned it almost 15 years,hung out at at a place called South Park mostly.
I drove it to the CC Street Machine Nats in '80,and the Nats East in Syracuse where that pic was taken in '84.
I had started racing stock cars on dirt and money was tight,sold the car in 1994 to a guy from out on rt 40 near Washington,Pa.
in my defense I still race and won the championship last year at the age of 58..lol
kick myself everyday for selling that car..first love kinda thing.
guy who bought it took off the tunnel ram and 10" Cragars,that was the last I knew anything about it.
plan to take a ride up his way with the Nova one day just to find out the rest of the story.
car was an original SS,4 speed car,red with the thin white lower stripe...one of 2200 or something.
thanks..Danny :)

markinnaples
02-20-2020, 01:05 AM
Hey Danny, I'm from the South Hills of Pittsburgh as well. Grew up in South Baldwin on the border of South Park, lol. I graduated in 1984. Where did you graduate from?
That's too funny, we ran in similar circles. My '68 Camaro was built by Norm LeBlanc and painted by Steve Dobos (not sure if you knew them back in the day).
I had a '68 Chevelle SS396 that was yellow and black around 1993 that I sold to a guy in North Baldwin, so I have a soft spot for '68 Chevelles and Camaros.
It would be awesome if you could find it again and see how it is.

firstgenaddict
02-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Here is the one on Quain Stott's old 4N big block conv... the car came out of Kansas City area from Jim Little - I have been meaning to get the VIN and figure out where it came from new. ---
anyway it has a blue plex hood scoop looks like the stuff Harrell was doing and Little traded this car for the one Kim Howie has/had which was built at Harrell's shop.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WsRa2WL4h_uhfgRKJLi7eOwQ1Q5AYniLsYE2mn7632MwTDK6R8 s03ZrFsIFlCcrBeMet_OkjEyhAOBwIHj5OqdWVT21aBzIpv8St pH6F6ksdCufUgERa0BhfQWAgkKN-HxmzOR9Yt9CLIqL2qXf7f5LODZoCD2_DArM8LXADAb2ViiZfUA 7SWmKIkOx8bsrBH2MzJP3ljkq5latfsl2xnYoqS-vND9gq_r0kOjnsTeqIDGEAFqdTD0GUInbvG9EQq1oOFsuEqrH8 dxPWyvqlnu1uAyQ21ur2-bL-6iWDDczvmA51DZdxSJqC9P5pzx03ocfduYxKg0DZdC2r-kiOKMVj-mrQl-22cf2fMZb6ILk041RHvy71HQ3R059nXd_24IA29jPMx_66FiFZ T1U2a4ofIHBu9uIt-fBnPvTmpghujv_YBb78OiDZ7vANENSIM_wCvulAzR3RS9Llb9m AN4rJDP2SWch2SBAP5hulG3S-N9LAH57gOGCfpSLJ-D6_7OglYcUOrekois2tA6dQXkEiWL58obh34i__LOQ0I1rbotf e9L9LxOym5iv958vGnFAB06mPwezcGlBIhAT2SZD5M-IEyr8TBDurThU_Bi7lY51TKduS_BzjxGBOQsInPvYQlxY18t5c EJeRzCiDdSoJrzNDh-437FORRvmjb1oLfUIBergkRw=w900-h709-no

racer67x
02-21-2020, 10:21 PM
Hey Danny, I'm from the South Hills of Pittsburgh as well. Grew up in South Baldwin on the border of South Park, lol. I graduated in 1984. Where did you graduate from?
That's too funny, we ran in similar circles. My '68 Camaro was built by Norm LeBlanc and painted by Steve Dobos (not sure if you knew them back in the day).
I had a '68 Chevelle SS396 that was yellow and black around 1993 that I sold to a guy in North Baldwin, so I have a soft spot for '68 Chevelles and Camaros.
It would be awesome if you could find it again and see how it is.
wow..that is cool,I was at the South Park Mcdonalds the night they posted Security guards and put the chains up to keep us out of the bigger parking lot.
I honestly don't remember your car or meeting those guys but there were so many I knew on a first name basis,I was out there almost every night..in fact a couple dozen of us went in on jackets and the kid who used to go with me still has his.
red satin of course with "South Park Street Machines" and a guys Corvette Summer wannabee clone in the center..thinking his name was Joe and he got them made..lol
we got kicked out of McD's then went to Danny's which didn't last long..at that point it was Wendy's.
we used to pack the place.
like I said above.. that timeframe was basically the beginning of the end,cops were total buzzkills,Bethel got me 2 seperate times..tires extending beyond fender edge,engine not completely covered..last straw was a friend with a tilt front Stingray who actually got a loitering ticket in South Park!
that is what the hell its for!..lol
he fought it,lost..got the AFL/CIO to help and I think lost again.
it was BS and the main reason I ended up playing in the dirt.
I grew up and lived in the little town of McDonald..about a half hour away and still live near there,graduted from Bishop Canevin near Carnegie.
sometimes I wonder where all of those cars ended up..some really nice cars were around back then.
shame it had to end!
thx for bringing back some of the memories..lol

markinnaples
02-24-2020, 01:29 PM
I remember when they used to let you actually park in McD's parking lot, then the larger lot, then Danny's (went there last summer and they had no Steak Hoagies - What the heck is up with that??), etc.. I used to cruise South Park in my sister's new '82 Berlinetta, then my '76 Rally Sport, and finally my '89 Camaro RS, but you're 100% right, it was supposed to be for the community and no one, NO ONE except kids ever went there after dark so I have no idea why they chased everyone off (just to make themselves feel powerful maybe?).

That's awesome that your buddy took it all the way to court with the AFL/CIO. Nowadays, he's probably get a cash settlement if he said he needed a "safe space," LOL.

I'm familiar with McDonald a little; a couple friends live there - maybe you know them? Bob Barton, Jim & Barb Powers, and Marty Dorfner.

Do you go to any of the cruises up there these days? I am going to try to drag my lump up there this summer to hit up some of them if I can.

racer67x
03-05-2020, 12:04 AM
I haven't been to a cruise or anywhere since the South Park days..about time to retire and let the young guys have fun with the dirt racing,too much like work anymore.
going to put a plate on the Nova this summer and see if I can find where people hang out these days.
if you happen to see this at a show or anywhere stop and say hello..
https://i.imgur.com/yxlLsd9.jpg?1

Jamess113
10-22-2020, 10:05 PM
This has been sitting on my buddy's shelf since he took it off his 67 Camaro back in the 70's.. thought I'd share a few pictures. I've never seen another one.

RobR
10-22-2020, 10:27 PM
Another member of this site recently had this hood scoop, same style!

big gear head
10-23-2020, 12:09 AM
That looks like the green one that was on facebook a few days ago.

chevyandpontiac
10-27-2020, 12:02 PM
Some needs to make these. I would love to have one of these.

Mr70
10-27-2020, 03:03 PM
Try contacting VFN... http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm

chevyandpontiac
10-27-2020, 04:33 PM
I talked to them before, this is not in their wheel house.

whitetop
10-27-2020, 09:13 PM
Some needs to make these. I would love to have one of these.

Go broke doing so. Just a handful of people will actually buy these. The rest will want them super cheap. A guy on FB had the screw on Holley bowl repo'd. CNC machined. 100% actual of the originals . Wanted $80 set.. I think he ended up just selling 10-15 sets and had a huge amount of money outlayed to have hundreds made up.

Here is what I posted some years back. "I seriously checked into having these scoops made from my green NOS NP scoop. For starters the plexiglass was 1/4 thick (but when vacuum formed went to 3/16)and several companies that I contacted that could vacuum form this thickness wanted something like $300-350 each and that was not covering the material which is very expensive in 1/4 form. They also wanted to do something like 75-100 minimum because these companies do 500-2000 vf's per day and did not want to stop their lines.

$400 fixed cost times 100 = $40,000 outlay. Like the old saying "Get Woke, Go broke"

The prices qouted was back in 2002??

at $500-550-600 each I bet you might sell 12-15 tops.

Rumbleguts396
10-27-2020, 09:29 PM
They are pretty cool and I’d love to find one. Any ideas of the cost one should expect to pay for an original? Thanks Rob

whitetop
10-27-2020, 09:31 PM
They are pretty cool and I’d love to find one. Any ideas of the cost one should expect to pay for an original? Thanks Rob

I would think $250-300 maybe $350-400 if someone really, really wanted one.

chevyandpontiac
10-27-2020, 10:52 PM
I will put his out there, I would pay $400 for a blue one or a green one.

whitetop
11-17-2020, 07:17 PM
I will put his out there, I would pay $400 for a blue one or a green one.

There is a blue one on ebay for $399 but it is cracked

Mr70
11-18-2020, 03:55 PM
In Maryland. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Northeast-NY-blue-plexiglass-Grump-Lump-drag-Motion-A-A-Vintage-Hood-Scoop/254777710696?hash=item3b51ef5868:g:c04AAOSwGqFfpZy x&vxp=mtr

whitetop
11-18-2020, 04:45 PM
Ha ha did you notice Mr 70 The Camaro in the photo the seller posted has a blue painted fiberglass A&A channel ram scoop. Not even the same scoop.

Mr70
11-18-2020, 05:38 PM
I noticed that,just thought it deserved to be posted as the car looks cool.
Look @ the size of those rear tires.. :burnout: