PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 Vega

Pages : [1] 2

Hemicolt
12-01-2011, 11:33 PM
"Four speed" ask me to post some pictures of my Vega project. Even though I'm doing some repop Motion parts, I'll call it a Day 2 build.

Hemicolt
12-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Engine is a BBC with GM production aluminum heads. Trans is a T-101 with a mag. case, Hone-O-Drive and 12 bolt.

Hemicolt
12-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I made a copy of my original Hooker mount.

x Baldwin Motion
12-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Nice. Is that Vega all metal?!! Never saw one that clean, not even in the 70's... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/Can-I-Have-It.gif

mr.4speed
12-02-2011, 01:00 AM
nice work! what shift boot do you plan on using?

Hemicolt
12-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Thank you. Yes, it's all metal. I had the car shipped to me from San Jose. There was a couple of small areas around the windshield and an area under the right side glass.
I figured out a long time ago that it's better to pay out the nose for grandmas car than it is to fix rust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x Baldwin Motion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. Is that Vega all metal?!! Never saw one that clean, not even in the 70's... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/Can-I-Have-It.gif </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Thank you.
I have two nos Ram Rod boots. One will get trimmed down a little. I'll post a picture of another Vega that has the same boot modification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: four speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice work! what shift boot do you plan on using? </div></div>

brent396
12-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Very cool Vega <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

MosportGreen66
12-02-2011, 03:08 AM
wow nice work!

mockingbird812
12-02-2011, 03:14 AM
nIce looking project Chandler. Did you have to modify the tunnel to accomodate the Hone-O-Drive?

PxTx
12-02-2011, 03:30 AM
This looks a lot like the RR I have in my 65. I think it is the earliest design. I noticed the Tee for the up and down gate is silver. Was the an improvment you made to a metal handle?

My RR has a Hurst Tee with the word Hurst in a sparkle sticker. I took it off and stashed it away. Did this one have something similar on it originally?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you.
I have two nos Ram Rod boots. One will get trimmed down a little. I'll post a picture of another Vega that has the same boot modification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: four speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice work! what shift boot do you plan on using? </div></div> </div></div>

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&amp;Number=29050&amp;filename= ib_p004_0_74.jpg

whitetop
12-02-2011, 03:35 AM
It's refreshing to see an untubbed Vega. Super nice car and great workmanship.

Hemicolt
12-02-2011, 12:02 PM
No. It fit in with little room to spare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nIce looking project Chandler. Did you have to modify the tunnel to accomodate the Hone-O-Drive? </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
The shifter in that picture is not mine. I used it for reference to show how I will trim the boot for my shifter. The shifter I'm using is shown on page one with the tunnel modification. It has the flat reverse lever. My shifter will use the black T for the lift gate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This looks a lot like the RR I have in my 65. I think it is the earliest design. I noticed the Tee for the up and down gate is silver. Was the an improvment you made to a metal handle?

My RR has a Hurst Tee with the word Hurst in a sparkle sticker. I took it off and stashed it away. Did this one have something similar on it originally?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: four speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice work! what shift boot do you plan on using? </div></div> </div></div>

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&amp;Number=29050&amp;filename= ib_p004_0_74.jpg </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's refreshing to see an untubbed Vega. Super nice car and great workmanship. </div></div>

owners2
12-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Looken good , keep the pics coming.

markinnaples
12-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Looks great so far!

What do you envision it looking like at the end? Non-tubbed but a little extra tire tucked in or old-school tires sticking out from the fenders? Colors?

Nice work so far.

Hemicolt
12-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys. I'm 99% sure the car will go orange, but can't decide on shade. Everyone keeps saying Hugger orange, but I'm thinking the factory orange for that year. What do you guys think?
Car will not be tubbed. Wheels and tires will be Cragar S/S and Pro Tracs. This is a picture of my friend Todds car. His is just about finished. We are going to try to bring both cars out at the same time, his with a small block, mine with the big block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great so far!

What do you envision it looking like at the end? Non-tubbed but a little extra tire tucked in or old-school tires sticking out from the fenders? Colors?

Nice work so far. </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Does anyone on this site have a picture of the Motion dual pumps mounted on a car?
I have two Walbro / Dupree pumps and I plan on fabbing the tube pieces that will make both units into one. However, I have never seen one mounted on a car. I may need to post this question under Baldwin Motion.

Hemicolt
12-03-2011, 02:04 AM
These are parts that will go on the car.

Hemicolt
12-03-2011, 02:06 AM
I know around 1970 or so, Motion went to the Mark 10 box, but I like the way the Grant / Clifford style looks. What do you guys think?

Hemicolt
12-03-2011, 02:08 AM
This is as close as I will probably get to the correct plug wires. They are 7mm, yellow ones. I refuse to pay 1000.00 for the correct ones..lol

whitetop
12-03-2011, 02:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. I'm 99% sure the car will go orange, but can't decide on shade. Everyone keeps saying Hugger orange, but I'm thinking the factory orange for that year. What do you guys think?
</div></div>

I would go with a a factory Vega color. The Lime green color on Vega's or factory silver would look nice accented with a Motion stripe of some sort

Hemicolt
12-03-2011, 02:43 AM
I've struggled with the Motion stripe. Looks good on the hatchbacks, but I can't figure out how to transition onto the back of the car and have it look right. I've not ruled out panel paint with metal flake.

PxTx
12-03-2011, 03:02 AM
You've got some nice stuff there Tracy. I've spoken to the Walboro engineer who was in charge of the duplex and triplex pumps. He did warn me that the rubber in them will not hold up to today's fuel and that rebuild kits are getting hard to find.

On the upside, it only seems to be the rubber bellows that fails and I did hear some talk at the MCACN show that somone may be producing an modern fuel friendly bellows.

The ignition parts are spot one and beautiful.

The cool can might be worth making a bypass, as they are a great place to develop vapor lock on a street driven car. I don't know how well a V8 Vega gets all that heat out of the engine bay. You can then have it for show, and with a switch of the valves, you can actually get the gains at the strip.

The Grant box is certainly the one I would go with. I've seen it on some older Corvette's and I beleive either would be correct, neither being more correct than the other.

Ignition wires are probably the lowest priority for me, and the ones you have look great.

whitetop
12-03-2011, 03:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've struggled with the Motion stripe. Looks good on the hatchbacks, but I can't figure out how to transition onto the back of the car and have it look right. I've not ruled out panel paint with metal flake. </div></div>

I just went back and looked at your pics again and noticed you started with a GT. I would put all the GT emblems/bottom moldings back on it, paint the bottom black etc and use a stock Vega Paint with the stock GT stripe on the hood and trunk.

Vega GT's look so clean. Plus I kinda like the idea of this is how Joel would have done either a new car or a used car conversion at this time and since the car would have been new(er) he probably would have kept the stock paint

I also like the panel paint idea but looks like you are trying to be period correct to a certain strict era, If this is the case I would use pearls and candies with ribbons stripes and scroll work etc. Metalflake was pretty much dead by the time this car would have been built..but hey my Mustang was flaked in 1974 but it was not the norm (and the original builder was mad at the painter). 1973-1976 WAS the era of pearls and candies and that is how I am going to redo my car.Plus flake is so bellybutton anymore.

I have some good pics I will post in the next few days.

Again please do what you like but this is how I look at it.

Hemicolt
12-03-2011, 04:53 AM
That's another thing I was worried about. I may use a modern electric pump, hidden under the car, and mount the bellows pumps inside the car for looks. Either run dummy hoses to them or gut them and have fuel flow through.
The cool can will be mounted where the battery tray was, I've mounted new style plastic ones on customers street cars with no problems. But...you are right, we are talking about a big block Vega. So we will see.
Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You've got some nice stuff there Tracy. I've spoken to the Walboro engineer who was in charge of the duplex and triplex pumps. He did warn me that the rubber in them will not hold up to today's fuel and that rebuild kits are getting hard to find.

On the upside, it only seems to be the rubber bellows that fails and I did hear some talk at the MCACN show that somone may be producing an modern fuel friendly bellows.</div></div>

Hemicolt
12-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the input. I see what you are saying on the paint. I'm trying to make the car look to be from the early to mid-seventies era. I guess I'm still learning about some of this stuff. The hillbillies were still doing metal flake into the late seventies here. So I guess they were behind the times like everything else..lol
But anything goes now.

[/quote]
I just went back and looked at your pics again and noticed you started with a GT. I would put all the GT emblems/bottom moldings back on it, paint the bottom black etc and use a stock Vega Paint with the stock GT stripe on the hood and trunk.

Vega GT's look so clean. Plus I kinda like the idea of this is how Joel would have done either a new car or a used car conversion at this time and since the car would have been new(er) he probably would have kept the stock paint

I also like the panel paint idea but looks like you are trying to be period correct to a certain strict era, If this is the case I would use pearls and candies with ribbons stripes and scroll work etc. Metalflake was pretty much dead by the time this car would have been built..but hey my Mustang was flaked in 1974 but it was not the norm (and the original builder was mad at the painter). 1973-1976 WAS the era of pearls and candies and that is how I am going to redo my car.Plus flake is so bellybutton anymore.

I have some good pics I will post in the next few days.

Again please do what you like but this is how I look at it. [/quote]

TheNovaMan
12-03-2011, 07:08 AM
SERIOUSLY digging the Hurst Ram Rod!

Hemicolt
12-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks.
I've been sending the reverse stick &amp; lift gate rod when having the shifter rechromed. Knox Custom Chrome in Knoxville, TN. will do all three pieces for less than 100.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNovaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SERIOUSLY digging the Hurst Ram Rod! </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-04-2011, 04:07 AM
65 year model 12 bolt for the rear. Brackets where transfered over from the original Vega housing.

Hemicolt
12-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Got the car primered. Almost ready for paint.

Plowman
12-04-2011, 04:14 AM
Looking good and cool. *Paul

Hemicolt
12-04-2011, 04:15 AM
Griffin built a custom radiator so I could mount it under the core support. The center part of the core support is removable which will make engine installation easier.

PxTx
12-04-2011, 04:23 AM
I love Vega's. Have some great memories from my youth hopping in on some black vinyl seats in the summertime on Mom's 1972 GT. Great work and thanks for a solid Vega thread!

Hemicolt
12-04-2011, 04:26 AM
The Vega didn't come with an oil pressure gauge. And since I am going to use the factory tach, I added a gauge in place of the clock.

Hemicolt
12-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Cragar tag frame.

Hemicolt
12-04-2011, 04:32 AM
I don't know how many people have ever saw a big Block in one of these cars up close, but I thought you guys may like to see some close up details.

mockingbird812
12-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Wow <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">plenty</span></span> <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif of room. How big are your header tubes? Looking real good. Nice touches! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

PxTx
12-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Oh, there's a reason Joel only made 1 bb street car Vega.

Nice work Tracy

Plowman
12-04-2011, 05:58 AM
How close is the steering linkage to the bbc oil pan. *Paul

Hemicolt
12-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Thank you. Tube size is 2 1/8&quot;.
An interesting side note: The headers I have are nos from the mid-seventies. Around the collecter tube, the Hooker Header logo is etched multiple times. Does anyone know when they stopped doing that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">plenty</span></span> <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif of room. How big are your header tubes? Looking real good. Nice touches! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-04-2011, 04:07 PM
The drag link rubs in the stock location. The idler and pitman arm have to be heated and pulled down to gain the proper clearence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How close is the steering linkage to the bbc oil pan. *Paul </div></div>

StriperSS
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I had a couple of V8 Vegas, both panels, but have almost no photos of them. The second one I built as if GM would have built it, with a mild small block, TH350, and a Monza Posi rear end. I swapped in a complete GT dash and harness, 79 Z28 buckets, and used the GT wheels with the biggest tires I could fit.
These are the only photos I have, when it was partially finished. This was about 1986, and I was doing the Malibu at the same time.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/StriperSS/My%20Cars/Projects2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/StriperSS/My%20Cars/Projects1.jpg

Hemicolt
12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Wow! If I had that car today, I would drive it as is. I love the faded paint. Is there lettering on the hatch or flaking paint?

StriperSS
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
It was a locksmiths car, only 40,000 miles on it. I remember the company too, Chubb, Mosler and Taylor. The fenders were rotten, the engine burned 2 quarts of oil on the way home, but it was solid apart from that. Wish I still had it!

4onthefloor
12-08-2011, 07:40 AM
I have a really cool book &quot;Complete Book of VEGA&quot;-it is Full of Cool stuff-Here are some perfect Day 2 Vega wagons..
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/4onthefloor/img118.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/4onthefloor/img119.jpg

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Wow.Look how far the shifter is to the dash on the one in the top picture.
I wonder if this one is considered Day 3?

mockingbird812
12-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I like the requisite CB under the dash. &quot;Break 1-9, Good Buddy, watch out for the Kojak with the Kodak!&quot;

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the requisite CB under the dash. &quot;Break 1-9, Good Buddy, watch out for the Kojak with the Kodak!&quot; </div></div>

whitetop
12-08-2011, 07:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if this one is considered Day 3?
</div></div>

I'm about to lose consciousness from my bleeding tongue..LOL

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I was asked about heating and bending the pitman and idler arm. Here is how Motion did it. I hope the page is large enough.

mockingbird812
12-08-2011, 09:35 PM
good stuff. L88 + Vega............... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif that should get down the road ok? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif

Hemicolt
12-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Found a set of center caps without the &quot;(r)&quot;.

Hemicolt
12-22-2011, 02:21 AM
Finished up the rotating assembly tonight. Getting closer.

TheNovaMan
12-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Going to be about 10:1?

Salvatore
12-22-2011, 10:51 PM
lookin good!

Hemicolt
12-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Should be around 11:1 with the heads I'm using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNovaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to be about 10:1? </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Thanks.
I picked this up for the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lookin good! </div></div>

mockingbird812
12-23-2011, 03:40 AM
Nice piece. Will go nicely with those Cragar caps of yours!

Hemicolt
12-28-2011, 12:51 AM
This last coat of building primer was added one month ago, so it's time to start blocking on the body again.
I've got the bottom of the car sanded and pretty much ready to be reprimed and flat cleared. I'm so glad I held out for a rust free body.

PxTx
12-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Chandler = Hemicolt? Missed the momo man, but my slowness figured it out with this thead update. Thanks

Hemicolt
12-28-2011, 04:17 AM
That's my user name I sign into this account with. I messed up when I was filling out the rest of the info. and didn't realize it wouldn't show this name as my online name. It took the admin. a few days to change it for me I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chandler = Hemicolt? Missed the momo man, but my slowness figured it out with this thead update. Thanks </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-29-2011, 02:51 AM
SMS auto fabrics contacted me today and said they had all three vinyls for the Vega seats. My drivers seat insert is in need of repair, while the rest of the interior is perfect. Glad to find out I will not have to look for nos material.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

TheNovaMan
12-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Is their stuff NOS, or at least made in the USA?

Hemicolt
12-29-2011, 03:27 AM
I can't say for sure. But they are the only supplier who has what I need. They are an American company out of Oregon. So the dollars stay in the U.S.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNovaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is their stuff NOS, or at least made in the USA? </div></div>

Hemicolt
01-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Got the Cragar non(r) caps in today. They looked better than I thought they would for 30 bucks.

owners2
01-03-2012, 02:17 AM
U did a Very nice job , I like. Is it going to match Joels old motion personal vehicle that has the laminate woodgrain ,as in his Motion book posted on page 52. I know his car had an lt1, but how Bad Ass would it be with a big block. Keep the pics coming. AWESOME.

whitetop
01-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Hemicolt
Thought you would like this.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/vegahatch.jpg

black69
01-06-2012, 03:14 AM
nice car restoration, I can't believe its rust freeee.
nice pictures too, whitetop
I love vegas, I had a 74 GT in pearl red (I painted) and CRAGARS!
cragar license plate frame is really cool.

Hemicolt
01-06-2012, 03:27 AM
D@mn Dave! You are making me want to go work on my car. I love the picture. That looks great!
That stripe has got me thinking now...

Hemicolt
01-06-2012, 03:31 AM
You know, I've not cared much for the way the sidepipes look on the wagons, but I don't know if it's the ride height or what, I think those look good.

Dicky
01-06-2012, 05:31 AM
I like '74 Vega's also... My ride......

DH <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif

Hemicolt
01-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I read your thread on the build. Your builder does some top notch fabrication. Very nice.

whitetop
01-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Cool Wagon. Love GT's.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/vega1.jpg

Plowman
01-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Look's good and so cool. I like it. *Paul

Hemicolt
01-08-2012, 01:07 AM
I got the bottom of the car seam sealed today and ready to be sprayed.
I forgot and left my camara down at the shop. I'll post some updated pictures Monday.

black69
01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
had to stop and look at this yesterday, thanks to getting all lathered up on this vega thread.
left some cards under the wiper blades.
I found no rust on it, which I could not believe.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/xxxblack69/2012-01-08_12-25-43_80.jpg

Hemicolt
01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Wow. Wonder if that's the original Goodyears on it?
Be sure and look at the cowl area under the hood, the battery tray area and were the frame rails and toe boards meet. That looks to be a really good car.

black69
01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
hemicolt, with that big block, is that underbody bracing enough? Is that exactly how motion did it? If so, then sure.
I dont think a plain H pattern is strong without some 45 degree cross braces added?

black69
01-09-2012, 06:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Wonder if that's the original Goodyears on it?
Be sure and look at the cowl area under the hood, the battery tray area and were the frame rails and toe boards meet. That looks to be a really good car.
</div></div>

car only had 40K mikes on it, interior looked brandnew, tire wear matched the mileage. If I get a call back, I will look for rust in the areas you mention. I found none anywhere on it.

Hemicolt
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I grafted 1 3/4&quot; chromoly tubing from the rear subframe to the front. (I use the term subframe loosely..lol)
You can see some pictures of them on page one. The rear floor is sliced and the rear portion of the bar passes up into it.
I don't believe Motion did anything at all to their cars. I have never saw a picture of even a subframe connector being added.
Keep in mind, I'm building this car to pretty much appear as it would have back in the day. If I was going to lean on it with slicks while side stepping the clutch, I would have done a ton of chassis bracing to the car. Cage, welding all structure panel seams solid, etc.
The front end is going to be kept stock with the exception of heavier springs and the S-10 spindle / brake conversion.

Plowman
01-09-2012, 08:13 PM
If you think you are going to stop this thing,70% of the cars weight on the front brakes do so. I think if anybody can do it,I THINK YOU CAN. Keep us in the loop,I love it. *Paul

Hemicolt
01-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Got the bottom of the car and engine compartment done today. I used the factory colored, PPG primer on the bottom and a PPG black on the engine compartment. Followed up with a satin clear on top and bottom. Black is spot on shade and the clear on the bottom will offer protection from oil staining, etc.
Hope to have the car finished up and painted by the end of Feb.
I'm so happy with the way this project is turning out. It is going to be light years ahead of my Chevelle.

Plowman
01-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Keep it up and its looksCOOL. *Paul

mr.4speed
01-22-2012, 12:13 AM
awesome! you just made me get up off the couch and go out to the garage.

day2killa
01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
wow that looks great

Hemicolt
01-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks guys.
Picked up the carb. pieces and oil pan from the plater today.
Everything looks really good.

mockingbird812
01-29-2012, 04:47 AM
Sharp! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

day2killa
01-29-2012, 02:05 PM
I just went thru this whole thread again, really a great build I cant wait to see the end product

Hemicolt
02-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys.

I put one of the carbs. together. First time rebuilding one to this level. I believe it's going to look okay.

69 Post Sedan
02-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Looks great Tracy....nice work.

Kurt

gts340
02-10-2012, 01:47 AM
I know where a Vega wagon sits that has a 327, dual quad engine in it. The owner street raced it in the 70's and lost his license for awhile because of this car. Over the years I heard all sorts of stories related to this car, which I took with a grain of salt. Last summer I spoke with this guys B-I-L and he, unsolicited, told me some of the same stories. There must be some truth to how fast this car was BITD. I want to buy the car but the owner is reluctant to dig it out and sell it. I'm sure it's a time capsule of old speed parts. Maybe someday...

Hemicolt
02-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Keep the lines of communication open with the owner. I would make the occasional visit and not even bring the car up. If the guy gets to feeling good about who you are, chances are he will come off the car. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gts340</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know where a Vega wagon sits that has a 327, dual quad engine in it. The owner street raced it in the 70's and lost his license for awhile because of this car. Over the years I heard all sorts of stories related to this car, which I took with a grain of salt. Last summer I spoke with this guys B-I-L and he, unsolicited, told me some of the same stories. There must be some truth to how fast this car was BITD. I want to buy the car but the owner is reluctant to dig it out and sell it. I'm sure it's a time capsule of old speed parts. Maybe someday...</div></div>

gts340
02-10-2012, 06:06 AM
I'm good friends with the owner, known him for years. I know he could use the money too. I remember seeing the car in his driveway when I was a kid. It's so buried in his garage now that it literally can't be seen. the last time I did see it, he had it full of bags of aluminum cans with a stick holding up the tailgate. It's been off the road since the late 70's I think.

Hemicolt
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Even if he won't sell it, it would be great to dig it out and get some pictures.
A Vega wagon that sounds much like the one you describe got me going back in the mid-80's. A friend and I were 14 and used to walk over to the Autozone parking lot that was out in town. Two Vegas came out one night. One a hatchback and the other a wagon. It was panel painted, tunnel ram small block, diamond tuck interior. Slots, 50 series tires with the quarters radiused.
I can still remember the way I felt when he fired that thing up and saw the header mufflers bouncing around and watching it burn the tires for what seemed like 100's of feet.

gts340
02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I would love to get some pictures, unfortunately this thing is DEEP in the mess that is his garage. The guy is a scrapper. It would take me a week just to get the area in front of the garage door cleared. Then another week to get to the car. I would like to make him an offer on the car, with cash in hand but I don't know exactly what shape the car is in these days. When I last saw it the thing looked solid.
I remember him saying it has 5 something gears in the back too...
I'm going to seriously work on getting this thing out this summer.

Postsedan
02-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Tracy,

WOW! Great Build! I love Vegas. How did I ever miss this thread? You`ve got to show us a picture of that drive shaft <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif

Dan

Hemicolt
02-17-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks.
Picked up these nos e-brake cables on Ebay.

mockingbird812
02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Nice score. Some of that de-duster stuff that njsteve used on his 72TA might be helpful.

Hemicolt
02-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Gibbs Brand: http://www.gibbsbrand.net/

This stuff is great. Foose, Rad Rides, etc. use it on bare metal. You can paint over it.

Hemicolt
02-18-2012, 04:40 AM
Got some chassis pieces painted and cleared. Used a semi gloss clear.

TheNovaMan
02-19-2012, 01:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gibbs Brand: http://www.gibbsbrand.net/

This stuff is great. Foose, Rad Rides, etc. use it on bare metal. You can paint over it. </div></div> I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've heard of this stuff before. Does it attract dust?

Hemicolt
02-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Not at all. I applied some to the oil pan I had cad plated. No dust weeks later.

Hemicolt
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Just got the E-brake cables in today. They are way better than the sellers picture showed. No corrosion of any kind. They still have the yellow paint markings on them. Mint condition.

Postsedan
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan

Postsedan
02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Tracy,

Keep an eye on this build, could get interesting <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?87450-Another-LS1-Vega-Wagon

Dan

Hemicolt
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the link.
That is a really great car! Good starting point.

day2killa
02-25-2012, 03:56 AM
some inspiration

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h31/oldprobmx/vega.jpg

Postsedan
02-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Way cool!

Dan

mockingbird812
02-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Nice drawing! Did you do that?

day2killa
02-25-2012, 03:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice drawing! Did you do that? </div></div>

nope found it by accident

mockingbird812
02-25-2012, 03:42 PM
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Car caricatures are cool!!!!!!!!!!</span></span>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/70%20Roof%20Deuce/DC_250_old13866-1.jpg

Hemicolt
02-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Here's another Vega. Thanks for posting the other.

day2killa
02-26-2012, 01:49 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h31/oldprobmx/KGrHqFHJBEE8e3qg6BPL31G8J2g60_12.jpg

Postsedan
02-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Tracy,

You need this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-76-VEGA-AA-FC...ies&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-76-VEGA-AA-FC-STICKER-FUNNY-CAR-HEMI-NITRO-NHRA-/120714971861?hash=item1c1b2c4ad5&amp;item=120714971861 &amp;pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&amp;vxp=mtr)

Dan

Hemicolt
02-27-2012, 02:59 AM
That's really cool Dan. I saw a 71-73 Vega funny car body for sale a while back. Was wishing I was rich..lol

69 Post Sedan
02-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Here's a Vega fiberglass hood Tracy.

Link (http://rockford.craigslist.org/pts/2876026668.html)

Kurt

Hemicolt
02-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the link.
It probably won't work out, but I have a friend who works at Bell Helicopter. He is going to talk to the shop foreman about what it will take to build a vac. mold to make a clear hood. Also going to look into the process of making the clear scoops.

Postsedan
02-29-2012, 03:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hj58tK_TXc

Dan

Hemicolt
02-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Did you watch the video?

Postsedan
02-29-2012, 04:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you watch the video? </div></div>

Yes, I know it was a bad joke <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif

Dan

mockingbird812
02-29-2012, 04:50 AM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif

Charley Lillard
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
I read where you were thinking about a stock Orange...Here is my orange one.

markinnaples
02-29-2012, 03:38 PM
That's awesome. Survivor?

Hemicolt
02-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Lol.
No worries. I thought maybe you saw the name of the video and posted it without watching.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you watch the video? </div></div>

Yes, I know it was a bad joke <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif

Dan </div></div>

Hemicolt
02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
That's it.
Very nice car you have there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read where you were thinking about a stock Orange...Here is my orange one.</div></div>

Postsedan
02-29-2012, 04:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's awesome. Survivor? </div></div>

X2, I love that Orange Vega <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/CharleySucks.gif

Dan

Plowman
02-29-2012, 04:58 PM
That look's cool.

Postsedan
02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Tracy,

Here is another....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/P1010158.jpg

Dan

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Charley's car looks like a matchbox version with that big-axx chair in the background! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Postsedan
02-29-2012, 06:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charley's car looks like a matchbox version with that big-axx chair in the background! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif </div></div>

That`s the Kings Throne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif

Dan

Hemicolt
02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
That looks like the original color of my car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tracy,

Here is another....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/P1010158.jpg

Dan</div></div>

Postsedan
02-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Tracy,

Cool, yes this is/was Kevin Hands Yenko Stinger Vega.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/KevinHandsVega1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/KevinHandsVega2.jpg

Dan

Postsedan
02-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Plus here is Smokey Yunicks Turbo Vega

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/SmokysVega1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/SmokysVega2.jpg

Dan

Xplantdad
02-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Dan...those pics looks so familiar <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Postsedan
02-29-2012, 11:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dan...those pics looks so familiar <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

Yes, pulled from the Blythe archives <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/BruceRocks.gif

Dan

Xplantdad
03-01-2012, 03:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dan...those pics looks so familiar <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

Yes, pulled from the Blythe archives <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/BruceRocks.gif

Dan </div></div>

That's cool Dan...there are a &quot;few&quot; to choose from...LOL

gts340
03-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Why do I so badly want a Vega?

Plowman
03-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Best damn garage in town.

Hemicolt
03-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Because it's 10 lbs. of whoop@$$ in a 5 lb. bag.
If I'm alive and well in a few more years I'm going to build a Hemi Dodge Colt.

Love the pictures Dan. Keep posting. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/youguysrock.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gts340</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do I so badly want a Vega? </div></div>

Hawkeye
03-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Your clear hood idea is very cool. Here is a pic of one I saw at Carlisle last year.
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q623/UncleHemi/SLSIII067.jpg

mockingbird812
03-03-2012, 05:46 PM
<span style="font-size: 17pt">C <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gifL </span>

Hemicolt
03-04-2012, 01:52 AM
That will fit my car. Wonder how I could find out who owns that car? Thanks for posting the picture.

Hawkeye
03-04-2012, 04:00 AM
That is Cosworth Vega #1, check out the owners association.

Plowman
03-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Look's like Tracy car. HA! HA!

owners2
03-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Wow Super Cool. Who makes the clear hoods ?

Postsedan
03-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Tracy,

I`m sure you know about this great Vega site <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

http://www.vegaworld.freeservers.com/

Dan

Postsedan
03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Cosworth Vega 0001, premiered at the Chicago Automobile Show vehicle, complete with its special clear Plexiglas hood is part of the GM Heritage Collection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/Cosworth1.jpg

Dan

Hemicolt
03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Actually, I have never ran across that site. Thanks for the link.
Figures GM was involved in that hood. Back to the drawing board.

Mk IV Muscle
03-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Hemicolt, I think you could make one of those hoods. Might be a steep learning curve but you've got skills. DO IT! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

I remember a Colt with a 440 called &quot;Killer Bee&quot; that ran quite well. Never saw one with a Hemi though. Talk about a badass ride!

Hemicolt
03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I spoke with my friend who works at the helicopter factory, he said the vac. process to do this isn't very hard at all. Having an oven big enough to heat the sheeting is the issue. May end up being able to make to scoops without having a big oven.

On the Hemi Colt, I want to build a replica of the Rod Shop car for the street. Here is the one being done by the guy who owns Pro Glass. Says he is doing it for Nostalgia Pro Stock class.

Hemicolt
03-06-2012, 09:58 PM
We now know the Vega with the straight axle runs and drives..lol

day2killa
03-06-2012, 10:38 PM
nice

Postsedan
03-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Great Picture!

Dan

Xplantdad
03-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Nice!

Tenney
03-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Awesome!

owners2
03-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Cool pics.

Hemicolt
03-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I spoke with Jet-Hot and was going to send my headers in to be coated white, and the fellow I spoke with said they were no longer offering that color. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

mockingbird812
03-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Not all jet-hots did the white color. check with Schonye as he found one that did my headers for my Nova (about 3 yrs ago).

Hemicolt
03-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Thanks. I found a local company, Hy-Tek Coatings, that is going to do it.

Postsedan
03-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Tracy,

A nice little weekend racer....I like the hood, I would have made the scoop just a bit shorter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-chev...=item35ba71c3a0 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-chevrolet-350-v8-vega-street-strip-12-bolt-4-56-roll-cage-/230761284512?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&amp;hash=item35ba71c3a0 )

Dan

Hemicolt
03-17-2012, 01:30 AM
L88 hood would look good.

Hemicolt
03-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Got the finishing primer sprayed on this morning. Car is really straight with only a couple of minor flaws that need corrected. Tint supposed to be orange, turned out reddish pink... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/eek.gif

Postsedan
03-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Pics, Pics, Pics....

Dan

Hemicolt
03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm going to try to get some pics in next couple of days.

Hemicolt
03-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Finally got both carbs finished. Getting closer.

Hemicolt
03-24-2012, 03:14 AM
Early in this thread I said I was going to use GM production aluminum heads. I didn't want to give any details about what I had until I was sure of what they were and if they could be used.
The heads were done back in the 70's by the cyl. head man himself, Lee Shepherd. A friend of mine had done some trading for them a few years ago and had brought them by the shop for me to look at. I suspected what they might be and made a trade on them.
After contacting Reher and Morrison, it was confirmed that Lee had a stamp that he used on the cyl. heads he built and this was indeed a pair of his.
Bobby Myers at Performance Automotive rebuilt the heads and gave them a clean bill of health. He said the work on the ports and chambers was cutting edge, pro stock stuff back in the day.
I can't wait to get this car done!

Postsedan
03-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Cutting Edge, I`d say.....great score.

Dan

Salvatore
03-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Lee Shepherd was definetly the man. He was a real driving force for that Team. They never ran as good after his death IMO.

Hemicolt
03-24-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm so pumped about getting these heads ready to go. I was going to build the castings I have in the for sale section, but after getting these, I thought they would be a better piece of Day 2 history. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

Hemicolt
03-24-2012, 03:44 AM
Here is some info. on the team.
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmHistory.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lee Shepherd was definetly the man. He was a real driving force for that Team. They never ran as good after his death IMO.</div></div>

Postsedan
03-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Tracy,

You`ll like this....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/214-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/217-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/216-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/215-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/218-1.jpg

Dan

Hemicolt
03-24-2012, 11:02 PM
I like it, but would change a few things. Can't make up my mind on the chrome headlight bezels.

Finally got some shots of the car in finish primer.

Postsedan
03-25-2012, 05:56 AM
Very Nice, is that Spies Hecker red primer?

Dan

Hemicolt
03-25-2012, 06:01 PM
It's Valspar sealer / finish primer. Was supposed to be orange but turned out that color. Has a pinkish red color.
I'm going to use De Beers base and House of Color clear. We are going to apply two coats of clear, block the finish, reclear two more coats, block and polish.

markjohnson
03-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Those Lee Shepherd heads are really neat. They were indeed touched by The Legend. He was an incredible driver and cylinder head man.

Postsedan
03-25-2012, 09:01 PM
&quot;We are going to apply two coats of clear, block the finish, reclear two more coats, block and polish.&quot;

WOW! This will not be cheap, but the end result will be amazing.

What color are you going to use?

Dan

Hemicolt
03-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Paint should have a lot of depth using this method. The color is going to be orange. Still tossing around which paint code.

Postsedan
03-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Make it '69 Monaco Orange <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif

Dan

Hemicolt
03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Pix

Plowman
03-30-2012, 08:57 PM
I ask Tracy why not four coats of clear,then block and polishing.

Hemicolt
03-31-2012, 12:29 AM
When you cut the first two coats and then apply two more, cut then buff, it adds way more depth to the color. Applying four coats at one time and cutting and buffing is no different than doing two as far as depth is concerned.

Plowman
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Talking about time and material,it sounds like to me,four coats of clear,cut then buffing,leaves more coats of clear on the car. Adding more depth to the color by more clear on the car. But I understand if you can't explain your answer on a key board. *Paul*

Hemicolt
04-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Sometimes it's hard for people to understand how it works until they can see it for themselves. It may be good for you to find a high end paint shop and let them show you.

Plowman
04-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Tracy,your way has less shrinkage in clear coats paint. You have no skin to the paint when fresh. Sometimes it's hard for people to understand. But I am trying. *Paul*

Hemicolt
04-01-2012, 04:59 AM
And all of us men hate shrinkage. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Postsedan
04-01-2012, 03:23 PM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif

Dan

427Vega
04-02-2012, 01:46 AM
I WAS IN THE POOL!!!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Postsedan
04-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Tracy,

You need this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-049-1973-Veg...=item2a1c69dc31 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-049-1973-Vega-Funny-Car-/180865326129?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&amp;hash=item2a 1c69dc31)

Dan

Hemicolt
04-25-2012, 06:29 PM
What do you guys think about the interior in this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet...a1ca44df8#v4-42 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Vega-GT-GT-1973-Vega-GT-V-8-conversion-/180869156344?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&amp;hash=item2a1ca44df8 #v4-42)

Postsedan
04-25-2012, 06:57 PM
I actually kind of like it, I just would not have done the sun visor`s.

Needs a split bumper too.

Dan

Hemicolt
04-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Yeah. I think the door panels are a little much also. But maybe they would look better with less padding behind them.
I'm thinking of maybe doing my interior in diamond tuck, but don't know if that many &quot;diamonds&quot; would look right.

x Baldwin Motion
04-26-2012, 04:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think about the interior in this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet...a1ca44df8#v4-42 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Vega-GT-GT-1973-Vega-GT-V-8-conversion-/180869156344?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&amp;hash=item2a1ca44df8 #v4-42) </div></div>

perfect. every custom interior was unique. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

Postsedan
04-28-2012, 03:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/Vegas.jpg

Dan

olredalert
04-28-2012, 04:26 PM
----The carpet is OK!!!......Bill S

Hemicolt
04-29-2012, 05:20 AM
There is an urban legend floating around about a train derailment that had one of those cars full of Vegas. Story goes at the spot of the derailment, they dug a hole and buried all the damaged cars.

owners2
05-01-2012, 03:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/Vegas.jpg

Dan </div></div> They really transported the cars nose down &amp; stacked like that..

Mr70
05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Yep.........RPO VK5...aka the &quot;Vert-a-pact&quot; option.
Here are more pictures,designed by GM &amp; Southern Pacific R/R.
http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2010/12/trains-delivering-cars-in-early-70s.html

In short,it added parts to the cars so they could be shipped,by rail,packed vertically to save space.
The vert-a-pac rail cars required that the cars be able to be driven on and driven off with no mechanical work needed.This drive-on/drive-off requirement was difficult to meet because all liquids had to be aboard,so the VK5 RPO was created.

Modifications included:
- a baffle in the oil pan to prevent flooding the forward cylinders with oil.
- off-center filler caps on the battery.
- a plug in the fuel tank vent line.
- an overflow hose from the float bowl to the charcoal canister.
- tilting the windshield washer bottle 45 degrees.
- plastic spacers between the splash pans and the engine to reinforce the motor mounts.

The Vega was designed to be shipped vertically, nose down. Special rail cars known as Vert-A-Pac cars held 30 Vegas versus 18 in normal tri-level autoracks. Each Vega was fitted with four removable, cast-steel sockets inserted into the undercarriage.

Chevrolet conducted vibration and low-speed crash tests to make sure nose-down Vegas wouldn't shift or be damaged in railcar collisions. Chevrolet's goal was to deliver Vegas topped with fluids and ready to drive to the dealership.To do this Vega engineers had to design a special engine oil baffle to prevent oil from entering the No. 1 cylinder, batteries had filler caps located high up on the rear edge of the case to prevent acid spilling, the carburetor float bowl had a special tube that drained gasoline into the vapor canister during shipment, and the windshield washer bottle stood at a 45 degree angle. Plastic spacers were wedged in beside the powertrain to prevent damage to engine and transmission mounts.
The wedges were removed when cars were unloaded.

mockingbird812
05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Great historical info. Impressive efficiency on GMs part. Nearly a 70% improvement in number of Vegas moved on a single car!

It would be interesting to see if cost of RPO VK5 was off set by reduced transportation costs of moving Vegas to dealers. The customer would have the option to store his Vega in his garage in an upright position to make room for other cars/stuff!!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif

Hemicolt
05-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Not Day 2, but very cool. Watch the run down the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3UHd6AtNM

Postsedan
05-12-2012, 02:32 AM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan

Hemicolt
05-12-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm hoping to duplicate that burnout down Main Street..lol

Hemicolt
05-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Got back on the Vega today. Monday we will spray on the sealer, take one more look and it's ready for paint. Hope to lay down the orange by end of this week.

Hemicolt
05-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Whoops.....post and pictures got lost. Car is painted. Started buffing today.

Postsedan
05-26-2012, 03:49 AM
Very nice <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/Can-I-Have-It.gif

Dan

Hemicolt
05-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks...
Finished up today. Will do a final polish after I get the car together. Also have a new respect for painters. It's worth every penny for a quality job. Don't know if I will ever tackle body and paint again...lol

mockingbird812
05-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Car is looking KILLER, Tracy!

mr.4speed
05-27-2012, 03:23 PM
awesome!!!

Hemicolt
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys. Here is the color compared to the stock Challenger.

427TJ
05-28-2012, 05:35 PM
You mean that's not HUGGER ORANGE!!! (J/K.)

Hemicolt
05-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Mopar color puts me outside the box...lol
Hit the car with 3000 wet paper on the d.a. sander. Check out the reflection of the trees across the road.

Jefferson
06-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Looks good, don't go overboard with the DA. It will give small flutters/waves. Best to wet block up to the highest possible grit and quickly DA without the soft interface pad (except in real curvey areas)

Hemicolt
06-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Got the car down to my other shop. Going to let it sit for a while and then start putting it together.

mr.4speed
06-13-2012, 05:07 AM
looks awesome!! and sweet shop! great job can't wait to see it finished.

Hemicolt
06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks. Speaking of the shop, some hillbilly stole the outside unit for the heatpump the other day. How can there be that much copper in the unit to risk going to jail?

427TJ
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
You'd be surprised what a person would do for meth.

Postsedan
06-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Tracy,

Saw this last night....very nice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/P1010079-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/P1010080-1.jpg

Dan

x Baldwin Motion
06-15-2012, 01:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tracy,

Saw this last night....very nice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Postsedan/Postsedan2012/P1010079-1.jpg

Dan </div></div>

I would have kept the stock hood and leave them wondering what just hit'm

Hemicolt
06-15-2012, 03:59 AM
That's a very clean install of the LS engine. I would like the car better if it wasn't tubbed.

owners2
06-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Yeah , I agree with a stock hood &amp; not tubbed, would be so cool .

TheNovaMan
07-15-2012, 07:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The heads were done back in the 70's by the cyl. head man himself, Lee Shepherd.</div></div>
Astonishingly awesome! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif

Hemicolt
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm taking a beating from my friends for taking the risk of using them..lol

PeteLeathersac
07-15-2012, 04:05 PM
WOW!!!
RIP Lee Shepherd...
http://www.nhra.net/50th/top50/L_Shepherd12.html

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif
~ Pete

TheNovaMan
07-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I think it's OK as long as you're not reckless. Just build it like an endurance motor, and everything will be fine.

Hemicolt
07-16-2012, 12:01 AM
I had a L88 grind done in a hyd. roller. The softer ramps will not shock the rocker arm studs as much as a flat tappet cam.

Hemicolt
09-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Best 6.00 I have spent on the car so far.

Postsedan
09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Tracy,

Any more updates on the car itself?

Dan

Hemicolt
09-25-2012, 07:27 PM
I am just now getting back on the car......needed a break after the body and paint work <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif
Plus, my sons baseball has kept us all busy this summer.
Ordered the axles from Strange Engineering last week and am currently blasting suspension bolts, clips, brackets, etc. and going to send them to be oxide coated.

Postsedan
09-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Great, Post pics when you can <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan

Hemicolt
10-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Going to try to find time to install the axles and new drum brakes this evening.
Got the suspension and various body bolts back from oxide coating. They look great.
Everything on the pedal assembly is oxide coated while the handle and attaching housing on the e-brake are painted black and semi flat cleared. The rest of the assembly is oxide coated.

Postsedan
10-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Love that Black Oxide <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan

Hemicolt
10-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Got the axles and brakes installed.
Drum brake assemblies came from Strange also. I have some packs of oil pan bolts that have Mr Gasket embossed in the bolt head. They are being used to bolt on the ET cover.

Hemicolt
10-16-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm going to have decal copies made of the original Strange logo for the ends of the axles.

Postsedan
10-16-2012, 02:26 AM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan

mr.4speed
10-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Looks awesome!! Keep up the great work

Glenn70
10-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Nice job, looking forward to the rest of the project, very detailed work.

Hemicolt
10-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Thank you.
After I get the dash and the rest of the interior painted, I hope to really get with putting this thing together.
I'm so excited about opening up all the nos, Day 2 parts that's been collected.
I found out a few days ago a buddy of mine has me a nos dipstick and Todd,( guy who owns the red Vega wagon pictured in this thread), may have me a L88 tube located.

Postsedan
10-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Todd,( guy who owns the red Vega wagon pictured in this thread), may have me a L88 tube located.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan

Hemicolt
11-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I need some opinions. I already have an early set of nos, Hooker headers for my car.
Would I be crazy to pay 1000.00 for an unused set of Motion Vega headers? They have surface rust but have never been ran.

Lynn
11-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes.

Hemicolt
11-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Here are pictures.

luzl78
11-05-2012, 11:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are pictures. </div></div>tracy, are these the ones that were on the h-body forum?

motionwannabe
11-05-2012, 11:59 PM
I look at it like this, If you are building a MOTION tribute Vega or you are a MOTION fan any part that is authentic is cool to have.

Hemicolt
11-06-2012, 12:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luzl78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are pictures. </div></div>tracy, are these the ones that were on the h-body forum? </div></div>

Yes. The guy sent me pictures to post for him.

Fast67VelleN2O
11-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Wow, where would you ever find a set otherwise? Vintage BBC Vega stuff is already very tough to find. Its even hard to find the vintage SBC stuff as well.

Hemicolt
11-07-2012, 01:56 AM
Still working on the headers.
Installed the 12 bolt tonight. I love orange and chrome together!

owners2
11-07-2012, 03:40 AM
What proof do you have to verify original Motion headers. Does it come with an original purchase invoice? If so yes .

Hemicolt
11-07-2012, 01:10 PM
If you look at the Marty Schorr book on building the big block Vega, those are the same designed headers in the car.
I guess I could ask him to have them verified, but then I couldn't afford to pay for them...lol
Now there is a new idea....Have a company that verifies Day 2 parts...lol

Fast67VelleN2O
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
I'll do that. For a small fee of course. 4% of the &quot;agreed upon&quot; value of the part. I'll even send a certificate of authenticity!