PDA

View Full Version : period correct tunnel rams

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Can someone post information on dated tunnel rams? For instance what might have been used in the late 60's, early to mid 70's, etc.

Verne_Frantz
12-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Edelbrock TR-2X purchased new in '69 or '70. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/VerneFrantz/VLFPrivate/photo12.jpg

Maybe it was '71..........can't remember..... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

whitetop
12-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Cool Picture. Edelbrock made one before that -plenum was one giant square box.

Offenhauser and Weiand also made TR's in 1970-1973 era.

Most came out in the early 1970's.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-08-2011, 02:13 AM
&quot;Bread Box&quot; version?

I learned this term from my own TR request thread:

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=440413&amp;page=1

I'm looking for a vintage TR1 or a TR2.

PxTx
12-08-2011, 02:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edelbrock TR-2X purchased new in '69 or '70. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/VerneFrantz/VLFPrivate/photo12.jpg

Maybe it was '71..........can't remember..... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif </div></div>

This is a cool intake. Only one I am aware of that has different port sizes per runner- see pic.

Here are two decent threads talking about vintage Tunnel Ram

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171643

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=438142&amp;page=all

whitetop
12-08-2011, 03:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">&quot;Bread Box&quot; version?

I'm looking for a vintage TR1 or a TR2. </div></div>

Marlin, Those bread box TR1's were absolutely horrendous on the street and it takes someone with experience to set one up right and even then it won't run as good as a TR with a smaller plenum. Even Edelbrock pitched it after one year of production and went to the TR-2X and discontinued the TR1. It was a poor design to begin with.

A friend of mine put one on his 70's style street rod he was building and it washed down his cylinder walls after a summer of driving and he and his friend who set it up have been setting up these systems since the mid 70's. He wanted a challenge..and it beat him.

I would suggest the Edelbrock TR-2X, or better yet the Weiand or an Offenhauser-both have a smaller plenum than the TR-2X and are very early 1970's correct. Offenhauser had a very good reputation for nice running street TR's back in the 70's because they had the best plenum shape.

Here is the engine in my 289 Mustang- Offenhauser with 2 Holley 390's-the pre emission carbs w/o all the smog junk on them.Disregard the date on the photo-it was not set the day I photographed it.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/davestrengine-1.jpg

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Ok, I like the 'Bread Box' look - but have heard about the washing down of the cylinder walls. I don't want to deal with that as it would certainly take all the fun out of this whole endeavor!

What are your thoughts on this one?

Offy Turbo Thrust (http://www.ebay.com/itm/140634236586?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&amp;_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649)

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Your engine looks great.
Does anyone know the time frame on the two pictured?

Don't worry about Stunkards picture of the Camaro. He won't mind.

whitetop
12-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Marlin it is period correct. All the Offenhauser TR's were available in 1970 and they never changed the design nor the lettering etc.
You can still buy them brand new from Offenhauser through Summit.

Most people who built these back in the day like Offenhauser best on the street-it was the right combination of plenums shape and size.

Couple hints-don't run a radical cam with a TR on the street. You need a cam that produces the most vacuum as possible to suck down that fuel air mixture. I have an R/V/performance style cam in my car from comp cams who helped me build the engine on paper.

Run the heaviest flywheel you can find and the highest gear ratio for torque at low rpm's and street cruising.

Run an electric fuel pump to at least start the car to prime the fuel bowls upon startup. I'm going to run a vintage Holley along with a mechanical pump and once it starts shut ff the electric pump.

whitetop
12-08-2011, 04:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your engine looks great.

</div></div>

1974 ish...

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Thanks - you are correct, my research just showed that it came out in 2/70. So, I think I might have found the best combo for both period correct and streetability!

Thinking 450cfm Holleys?

PxTx
12-08-2011, 04:16 AM
The TR2 can be a challenge, but they can be made to run and run well if you are willing to tackle the learning curve. I've actually spoken to the Grump about it and other TR details. Growing up with my Pop- &quot;Plowman&quot; I've had one of the best resources a guy could want for running dual quads. Now getting input from Grumpy and then those two together talking multiple carbeuration- a guy's head could start spinning.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/Plowman7/GrumpRam.jpg

You've got to restrict the liquid line on the idel circuit AND you have to run an CD ignition. I've always run MSD (though I'm gonna try to do it with and older Grant box on my sister's 69 Nova).

They did offer an intermediate plate for the TR2 to help remove some plenum volume and extend the intake runners. This was a to help make it be more street friendly. We've got two of these intakes, one has the plate.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/Plowman7/Tunnel%20Ram/TRparts.jpg

You can also get creative and kock the plenum down. Here is an example of that.

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Thanks. The 4150 TR in the top picture is on Ebay right now. I like the way it looks but I will stick with my Edelbrock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your engine looks great.

</div></div>

1974 ish... </div></div>

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 04:27 AM
What would have been typical mid to late 70's?

whitetop
12-08-2011, 04:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TR2 can be a challenge, but they can be made to run and run well if you are willing to tackle the learning curve. I've actually spoken to the Grump about it and other TR details.

</div></div>

Paul, there is a big difference between the street and strip with the TR2. They were designed for very high rpm usage.
Marlin needs something just to scoot around the street with that is streetable and no hassles.

PxTx
12-08-2011, 04:47 AM
Typical where, street or strip? Which build theme do you identify with more? Really there are two camps with this. There are the guys who choose to drive cars with race car parts on the street (and either address the compromises or learn to live wiht certain aspects) and there are those who want that strip look without the compromised street manner.

I think the Offy did a great job with their Tunnel Rams featuring a divided plenum and street friendly runner combo. They most likley were not selling any to racers for the strip, and plenty to those who wanted to simulate that feel.

Personally I would never run a TR with a mild cam. I think it would be a major departure from the theme of the cars I like t build.

As far as a carb choice, I like vacuum secondaries. I would start out with a Holley List 1850 which is a 600 cfm carb and very plentiful. I've never been able to tune a par of 390's or 450's to run nearly as good as those 600's after being modified. Heck you might even be able to run a pair of 750's.

Dave is right, an electric fuel pump is a must. I used to run both, but later ditched my mechanical.

Don't even attempt this without a set of 4 series gears out back.

Dave, I'll admit I really don't know what Marlin wants to do. Fact is, it is Benjamin's car so I wonder what he wants. A young kid might accept a little more street compromise- maybe not. Depends on type of man he is growing up to be. You bring some valid points and expereince to the thread- no doubt. It will be up to those guys to choose what they want to build.

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 04:51 AM
I'm not trying to identify with a certain theme. I'm just interested in the history of the parts used in those days. I was worried about Saturday morning cartoons back in those days, so I wasn't paying attention..lol

396L35
12-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Here is mine for my car.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/396L35/Tunnelram1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/396L35/DSC_0734.jpg

PxTx
12-08-2011, 05:08 AM
That looks like the Weiand TR as seen in Two Lane Blacktop. Probably the epitome of Tunnel Ram and what it means to me. Pair of 660's on it with a secondary metering block kit. Very Nice!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-08-2011, 05:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typical where, street or strip? Which build theme do you identify with more? Really there are two camps with this. There are the guys who choose to drive cars with race car parts on the street (and either address the compromises or learn to live wiht certain aspects) and there are those who want that strip look without the compromised street manner.

I think the Offy did a great job with their Tunnel Rams featuring a divided plenum and street friendly runner combo. They most likley were not selling any to racers for the strip, and plenty to those who wanted to simulate that feel.

Personally I would never run a TR with a mild cam. I think it would be a major departure from the theme of the cars I like t build.

As far as a carb choice, I like vacuum secondaries. I would start out with a Holley List 1850 which is a 600 cfm carb and very plentiful. I've never been able to tune a par of 390's or 450's to run nearly as good as those 600's after being modified. Heck you might even be able to run a pair of 750's.

Dave is right, an electric fuel pump is a must. I used to run both, but later ditched my mechanical.

Don't even attempt this without a set of 4 series gears out back.

Dave, I'll admit I really don't know what Marlin wants to do. Fact is, it is Benjamin's car so I wonder what he wants. A young kid might accept a little more street compromise- maybe not. Depends on type of man he is growing up to be. You bring some valid points and expereince to the thread- no doubt. It will be up to those guys to choose what they want to build.

</div></div>

Ha! I don't know what I'm doing! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif But, I know what I want: A cool Day 2 type of look, but with street manners. I don't want a racecar on the street. Benjamin just turned 10, so he has no idea what I'm planning - but I see the look on his face when a car idles past with a dual quad TR sticking outta the hood. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif So, he's gonna like this car for sure when we finally finish it.

I'm planning to run this combo:

- 427 BBC
- 10.5:1 CR
- Steel Crank / rods
- Oval port heads
- 550/550 cam
- M20 trans
- 3.55 posi

Toppped with either a Torker 2-0 single holley, or that Offenhauser Turbo Port intake linked above.

I live close enough to pxtx and his Pop to get their help setting it all up! The goal is have fun with a cool street car.

PxTx
12-08-2011, 05:29 AM
With that criteria, I would say the Offy TP Tunnel Ram is a perfect fit.

In the 1980's my uncle put a TR on a street rod with a similar set-up. It has been the most street friendly dual quad car in the club and is still running strong to this day. You could dive it in traffic tomorrow, then blast off to Columbus without a hitch. Vac advance distributor with a special tune. The street rod is a 42 Ford pickup. It's not a race car, but has turned 14's at the drags.

My personal hang-up is having a TR equipped car only running 14's.

whitetop
12-08-2011, 05:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

My 390's have the vacuum secondaries and I bought the Holley vacuum balance tube kit that ties both carbs in together so they open both at the same time.My car had 600 on it when I got it and they were just too plain big for a little 289.

I'm more show than go and just want something that runs decent and is not stumbling on the street and is not backfiring and embarrasing me at a cruise..

I followed my build from a indepth Car Craft article back in the late 70's that showed how to build a TR for the street-and that is what they recommended- a r/v/performnace style cam. One of the best articles ever.

396L35
12-08-2011, 05:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks like the Weiand TR as seen in Two Lane Blacktop. Probably the epitome of Tunnel Ram and what it means to me. Pair of 660's on it with a secondary metering block kit. Very Nice! </div></div>

Good eye Paul and yes they are 660 with a secondary metering block. I also have a set of 4223-S 850's if the 1320 cfm isn't enough for the future engine.

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Something I'm wondering about on this TR always being called the offical Two Lane Blacktop TR....
If you look at the picture of the one from the movie, it appears to have a plate and looks like it's a three piece TR? Looks a little different from the one posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396L35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine for my car.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/396L35/DSC_0734.jpg </div></div>

396L35
12-08-2011, 05:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something I'm wondering about on this TR always being called the offical Two Lane Blacktop TR....
If you look at the picture of the one from the movie, it appears to have a plate and looks like it's a three piece TR? Looks a little different from the one posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396L35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine for my car.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/396L35/DSC_0734.jpg </div></div> </div></div>

Chandler you are correct and I have the other three piece top that you are referring too but I haven't had time to switch them out yet.

Tommy
12-08-2011, 06:24 AM

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/396L35/DSC_0734.jpg</div></div>

Um, I want a Big Block engine sitting inside my house as decoration too <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info Mark.
I didn't know there was a different 4150 top for that intake. I imagine the more common top, like you have pictured would be more suited for the street, given the smaller plenum volume.
I've got one of those older TR's that has the &quot;say why-and&quot; cast into it. Now I'll be looking for one of those tops. Probably should look for a needle in a hay stack first.

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Here's one I picked up a few years ago. Prices got cheap the last day of the swap meet and I got this for 75.00, complete with linkage.

brent396
12-08-2011, 01:17 PM
How about for a sbc same deal?

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Same deal for what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brent396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about for a sbc same deal? </div></div>

396L35
12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one I picked up a few years ago. Prices got cheap the last day of the swap meet and I got this for 75.00, complete with linkage. </div></div>

I like this and I am looking for one of these to add too my tunnel ram collection. As for the say-why-and intake top they are out there and I have found two to switch out the tops leaving the carbs in tacked. The base of my intake is an older say-why-and but that top was switched out for the street like you mentioned.

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I may have two of the Edelbrocks with the Dom. top. There is one on Ebay also, but I think one of the linkage tabs has been cut off. If I understand you correctly, you have two of the tops like on the Two Lane Blacktop TR?
Thanks for all the post from everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396L35</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one I picked up a few years ago. Prices got cheap the last day of the swap meet and I got this for 75.00, complete with linkage. </div></div>

I like this and I am looking for one of these to add too my tunnel ram collection. As for the say-why-and intake top they are out there and I have found two to switch out the tops leaving the carbs in tacked. The base of my intake is an older say-why-and but that top was switched out for the street like you mentioned. </div></div>

brent396
12-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Okay what is a good tunel ram to run on a small block chevy period Correct

Hemicolt
12-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Okay. I imagine any of the ones being discussed. But I will say I agree with Whitetop on TR design. Smaller plenum and runner length equals higher velocity and vac. signal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brent396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay what is a good tunel ram to run on a small block chevy period Correct </div></div>

396L35
12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have two of the Edelbrocks with the Dom. top. There is one on Ebay also, but I think one of the linkage tabs has been cut off. If I understand you correctly, you have two of the tops like on the Two Lane Blacktop TR?
Thanks for all the post from everyone.</div></div>

That would be correct and they can be switched out by taking off the 6 bolts to separate the two halves.

whitetop
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brent396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay what is a good tunel ram to run on a small block chevy period Correct </div></div>

Edelbrock TR-1X, Weiand(early style) or Offenhauser. They all came out about the same time give or take 6 months. Weiand and Offenhauser are better for the street though.

TR-1X top, Offenhauser on the bottom.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/moroso70.jpg

brent396
12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks Guys for the info.Orange Headers must been a thing back then

Fast67VelleN2O
12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Here is some period tunnel rams.

#1 is a 1960's big block Chevrolet square port Weiand &quot;Say Why-And&quot;. It is a 3 piece manifold. The upper lid can be removed in favor of something else.

#2 is a 1970's big block Chevrolet square port Weiand manifold for two Dominators. I also had the spare to to run smaller carbs as well.

#3 is an early 1970's big block Chevrolet square port Edelbrock TR2X.

#4 is a 1960's small block Chevrolet Weiand &quot;Say Why-And&quot; 1x4.

#5 is the same as above, only smoothed and chromed.

#6 is an Edelbrock TR1Y for small block Chevrolet early 1970's.

Fast67VelleN2O
12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I almost forgot this one. Old Offenhauser Turbo Thrust tunnel ram for big block Chevrolet with square ports.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Wanna sell that last one? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With that criteria, I would say the Offy TP Tunnel Ram is a perfect fit.

In the 1980's my uncle put a TR on a street rod with a similar set-up. It has been the most street friendly dual quad car in the club and is still running strong to this day. You could dive it in traffic tomorrow, then blast off to Columbus without a hitch. Vac advance distributor with a special tune. The street rod is a 42 Ford pickup. It's not a race car, but has turned 14's at the drags.

My personal hang-up is having a TR equipped car only running 14's. </div></div>

Awesome! That's what we're going with then. We'll figure out the carb selection later, but I've been reading up your advice on SNS about using 2 600's. We want to have fun with this setup, and not have to deal with a finicky rpm operating range.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Fast67VelleN2O
12-08-2011, 06:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanna sell that last one? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif </div></div>

Sorry but all the intakes that I have pictured are manifolds that I have sold in the past. Just posting them for reference.

-Matt

whitetop
12-08-2011, 06:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanna sell that last one? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif </div></div>

Marlin, you can buy them new from Offenhauser through Summit. I think I paid $380 for mine 6-7 years ago. Offenhauser still uses the original molds. Everything is 100% identical to the originals even the lettering.

If you buy used there are tons of them out there for sale but look them over carefully. These were race items and many are butchered up-plenums cut out, hogged out intake ports, holes drill in them for nitrus ports, mounting flanges milled down for weird head angles..that sort of thing.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Ok, sounds better.

TheNovaMan
12-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I just got my tunnel ram combination running this fall. The long block is a 454 LS6 crate motor from the 80s with 990 heads and 10.2:1 compression. I put in a Crane p/n 134691 solid flat tappet cam (0.580/0.600 lift, 256/266 @ 0.050 and 290/300 advertised, 110LSA) and topped it with an Edelbrock TR2X and 660 center squirters with secondary metering blocks. I run an electric fuel pump and an MSD 6AL box. My torque converter flashes to 4000-4200 rpm or so off the line, and I have 4.10 gears. &quot;Everyone&quot; said it was going to be unbearable on the street, and I had my doubts too because of the enormous plenum, but as it turns out the throttle response and torque are phenomenal! The first pass was 11.39 at 118mph. The air/fuel ratio is fairly close for most of the 1/4 mile, but I need to drill out the accelerator pump squirters for the launch and restrict the idle feeds in the primary metering blocks for the pits and the street...

Early TR2X manifolds had equal-sized runners, but they went to the staggered runners around 1970 or 1971 (I think). Joe Sherman is a big fan of this intake. Grumpy ran it for a while, but then switched to Weiand.

Salvatore
12-09-2011, 11:20 PM
wow that is good street times. keep with the updates!

Plowman
12-09-2011, 11:25 PM
That is cool and we need pictures.

VintageMusclecar
12-09-2011, 11:44 PM
This is an Edelbrock UR2X tunnel ram. I'm not sure exactly when Edelbrock released this manifold, but it was at least before 1976.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2011_12090004.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2011_12090001.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2011_12090003.jpg

It has the unequal sized runners.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2011_12090002.jpg

This is the same manifold (not the <span style="text-decoration: underline">actual</span> manifold, just the same model) I ran on the L78 396 I had in my first `67 Chevelle around 1983.

http://www.vintagemusclecarparts.com/images/projects/396_Square_Port_Heads_and_Tunnelram.jpg

I used a pair of Carter Competition Series 750 AFB's back then, and the swap to this manifold from a 163 with an 800 Holley made a very notable improvement &gt;4K rpm on that little 396.

The current UR2X will eventually make its way onto the 496 in the current Chevelle project. I just had the 163 off of the 496 for cleaning and couldn't resist setting this in place for a quick pic. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/TR.jpg

If the manifold makes the same kind of improvement on the 496 that it made on the 396..... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

TheNovaMan
12-10-2011, 01:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is cool and we need pictures.</div></div> Thanks! I have some pics that are more up-to-date, but I haven't had a chance to upload them to Photobucket yet. In the meantime, I'll wet yer whistle with a couple pics from before it was quite finished.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo154/TheNovaMan/The%20Nova/BBCinNova1.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo154/TheNovaMan/The%20Nova/BBCinNova3.jpg

And if you want to see a low quality vid of the break-in, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE4hVNhuOFQ

Hemicolt
12-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Sounds and looks great. I like the VC spacers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNovaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is cool and we need pictures.</div></div> Thanks! I have some pics that are more up-to-date, but I haven't had a chance to upload them to Photobucket yet. In the meantime, I'll wet yer whistle with a couple pics from before it was quite finished.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo154/TheNovaMan/The%20Nova/BBCinNova1.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo154/TheNovaMan/The%20Nova/BBCinNova3.jpg

And if you want to see a low quality vid of the break-in, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE4hVNhuOFQ</div></div>

TheNovaMan
12-10-2011, 06:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds and looks great. I like the VC spacers.</div></div> Thanks. I was originally going to run stamped rockers, but then I found a good deal on a set of barely-used Howard's aluminum roller rockers. They'd probably fit without spacers if I cut the drippers off the covers, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. The spacers are B&amp;B - not exactly cheap, but they get the job done in a fairly period-correct manner.

Hemicolt
12-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I think they look fine. B&amp;B's are what I'm going to use when I run short VCs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNovaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds and looks great. I like the VC spacers.</div></div> Thanks. I was originally going to run stamped rockers, but then I found a good deal on a set of barely-used Howard's aluminum roller rockers. They'd probably fit without spacers if I cut the drippers off the covers, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. The spacers are B&amp;B - not exactly cheap, but they get the job done in a fairly period-correct manner.</div></div>

COPO_Anders
12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
This is an oddball TR I guess ?

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/COPO_Anders/RidgeRunnerRam.jpg

Carleen
12-16-2011, 02:03 PM
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u331/Nikkewi/Scan376.jpg

mockingbird812
12-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Ridge Runner looks neat! Love the paint. Great wheels/tires &amp; stance! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

olredalert
12-16-2011, 04:38 PM
----Wow!!! I used to go by Norwood Chevys lot whenever I was home back in the sixties to check out the stock. They generally had something interesting. Then in 1970 I bought my LT1 Corvette the day after it arrived in January. Drove it to Florida 5 days later......Bill S

brent396
12-16-2011, 06:11 PM
That. Scoop is crazy looking I wonder is that home made?

whitetop
12-16-2011, 06:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brent396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That. Scoop is crazy looking I wonder is that home made? </div></div>

Brent
That scoop was made by a company..can't remember who offhand but remember seeing them in the speed equipment catalogs of the day.

I see those Ridgerunner rams available for sale very so often. There was an NOS one on Ebay 3-4 years ago.

Carleen
12-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Did ya notice the MP sticker?

EZ Nova
12-16-2011, 09:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNovaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my tunnel ram combination running this fall. The long block is a 454 LS6 crate motor from the 80s with 990 heads and 10.2:1 compression. I put in a Crane p/n 134691 solid flat tappet cam (0.580/0.600 lift, 256/266 @ 0.050 and 290/300 advertised, 110LSA) and topped it with an Edelbrock TR2X and 660 center squirters with secondary metering blocks. I run an electric fuel pump and an MSD 6AL box. My torque converter flashes to 4000-4200 rpm or so off the line, and I have 4.10 gears. &quot;Everyone&quot; said it was going to be unbearable on the street, and I had my doubts too because of the enormous plenum, but as it turns out the throttle response and torque are phenomenal! The first pass was 11.39 at 118mph. The air/fuel ratio is fairly close for most of the 1/4 mile, but I need to drill out the accelerator pump squirters for the launch and restrict the idle feeds in the primary metering blocks for the pits and the street...

Early TR2X manifolds had equal-sized runners, but they went to the staggered runners around 1970 or 1971 (I think). Joe Sherman is a big fan of this intake. Grumpy ran it for a while, but then switched to Weiand. </div></div>

Pete, I disagree. My talks with Joe when I picked my TR2X for my ZL-1 build was that Joe worked at Eddy at the time. The ORIGINAL TR2X were staggered ports, as per Joe. Only about 500 were made in that configuration. Eddy then changed it to the even port design. Man Joe certainly knew his stuff. Too bad he's gone. He did tell me that he still thinks that was the best TR around until just recently.

Plowman
12-16-2011, 09:26 PM
That is cool. *Paul

TheNovaMan
12-17-2011, 12:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EZ Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pete, I disagree. My talks with Joe when I picked my TR2X for my ZL-1 build was that Joe worked at Eddy at the time. The ORIGINAL TR2X were staggered ports, as per Joe. Only about 500 were made in that configuration. Eddy then changed it to the even port design. Man Joe certainly knew his stuff. Too bad he's gone. He did tell me that he still thinks that was the best TR around until just recently. </div></div>
That's interesting, because when I was looking for tunnel rams, it was MUCH more difficult to find the even port casting.

What do you mean &quot;he's gone&quot;? Did he pass away?

Hemicolt
12-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I agree. I have three TR's with the staggered ports and see them for sale all the time.

markjohnson
12-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Joe Sherman is dead? That's really too bad. He was a great source for several magazine car and engine build-ups that were always very interesting.

12-17-2011, 01:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markjohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe Sherman is dead? That's really too bad. He was a great source for several magazine car and engine build-ups that were always very interesting.</div></div>

If he is dead, it must have been quick, because he posted on Speedtalk today.

Wayne

brent396
12-17-2011, 02:21 PM
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/SPIKEYZ0/June81975CTDragway.jpg Another pic of that crazy scoop its a little differant in the front

EZ Nova
12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Sorry, I was Joe Mondello that dies. That was a mistake and sorry to anyone that was shocked by that statement.

EZ Nova
12-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Ok, here's the info from speedtalk and Joe:

&quot;I worked at Edelbrock back in the good old days, When they made that manifold(tr-2x) <span style="font-weight: bold">the first ones had the good port/badd port layout with smaller ports on the good runner in the heads,</span> Anyway, they only made one run of those good manifolds, then they changed the design so all the runners were the same. The good one ( only 50 were made) were 30 Hp better than any other tunnel rams they have ever made. I take it the one you have is the one with all the runners the same size.. On an 900 HP 540 I did, when I went from one1150 carb to the tunnelram with two 1050 carbs, the engine PICKEDUP 100 HP with NO other changes. Back in 1971, It was worth 70 HP on a good 454(750 HP back then)

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES

Check out this thread over there as there's alot of info on old tunnel rams:

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&amp;t=19544&amp;start=0&amp;hilit=tr2x#p2131 33

Just some info to help you guys out!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-20-2011, 06:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With that criteria, I would say the Offy TP Tunnel Ram is a perfect fit.

My personal hang-up is having a TR equipped car only running 14's. </div></div>

Awesome! That's what we're going with then. We'll figure out the carb selection later, but I've been reading up your advice on SNS about using 2 600's. We want to have fun with this setup, and not have to deal with a finicky rpm operating range.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif </div></div>

I picked up that Offy TP Tunnel Ram yesterday <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif Carbs are next!

TheNovaMan
12-20-2011, 07:40 PM
What carbs are you going to get? 660 center squirters?

Plowman
12-20-2011, 08:22 PM
For the street I would say,600 v/s Holleys#1850,cheep and does not load-up easy. But you will have to put idle restrictors in. For the track 660,s center[4]squirters, have more power I would go with that. You will have to see if idle restrictors are needed,but I would. So you can do what you want but I hope this helps. *Paul

Fast67VelleN2O
12-20-2011, 09:24 PM
What about the Holley 450cfm single squirt mechanical secondary tunnel ram carbs? I've heard good things about them. List number is 9776.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm following Plowman &amp; PXTX's lead on this one; they have it figured out.

Should I be searching swap meets for the old versions with the better material, or.......

PxTx
12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
I've run 390's and 450's. Even my stock L79 likes pair of 600 cfm 1850 carb over the little guys.

Had 1850's on a 13:1 350, but that was faster with a pair of 660's but lacked the street manners of the 600 VS.

PxTx
12-20-2011, 09:32 PM
The real question is what ignition are you gonna run?

It would be cool to find a set of all metal 1850's with matching patina if you can

Plowman
12-20-2011, 10:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the Holley 450cfm single squirt mechanical secondary tunnel ram carbs? I've heard good things about them. List number is 9776. </div></div> Yes 450cfm,NO power,and they are hard to tune. The number &quot;450&quot;sounds good but it will take all season and then sum to tune the Two on a Tunnel-ram.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
The 600's sound good to me, how do I decipher the 'all metal' versions?

Ignition? I'm open on that one too. Was thinking of using a Mallory Unilite w/ a Blaster coil. I know that stuff is newer, but I know the least about ignition so I wanted to ensure the most reliability in that area. But, open to vintage suggestions here too.

Hemicolt
12-20-2011, 10:39 PM
From what I know, there is a dash and a number after the part number for every time there was a change in the carb.
In other words 1850 would be a first edition, 1850-1 would be second edition, etc.
I can't say for sure what -numbers indicate what year span, but I'm sure someone here or at Holley can tell you.
The 600's I'm going to use are 1850-1. They are all metal with the good metal floats. Everyone is pretty much right about the carbs., 660's are just about made for wide open only and very difficult to make work well for the street.

PxTx
12-21-2011, 01:20 AM
These might be a good lead.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/2761365647.html

Starship
12-21-2011, 01:40 AM
The scoops and the manifold were both made by Ralph Ridgeway, owner of the blue Ridge Runner Camaro pictured. Both are extremely rare today.

EZ Nova
12-21-2011, 04:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 600's sound good to me, how do I decipher the 'all metal' versions?

Ignition? I'm open on that one too. Was thinking of using a Mallory Unilite w/ a Blaster coil. I know that stuff is newer, but I know the least about ignition so I wanted to ensure the most reliability in that area. But, open to vintage suggestions here too. </div></div>

Just use the tried and true MSD 6AL and hide it behind the glove box inside the car. WE have never had any luck with the Uni-lite stuff.

EZ Nova
12-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Funny, no one on here has mentioned Carter/Edelbrock carbs? For more :street&quot; orientated driving they would be my first choice as we have had a number of them and worked very well and wasn't that hard to set-up.

On my ZL-1 deal I'm going twin throttle bodies and EFI so I can go from the TR2-X to Holley strip Dom. intake to 3933198 and just put in a different program. Even looking at &quot;stacked&quot; injection with the EFI conversion just to play with.

Hemicolt
12-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Have you looked at the new MSD Atomic efi?

http://www.atomicefi.com/

Looks like it may be easy to hide under a dropped base air cleaner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EZ Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny, no one on here has mentioned Carter/Edelbrock carbs? For more :street&quot; orientated driving they would be my first choice as we have had a number of them and worked very well and wasn't that hard to set-up.

On my ZL-1 deal I'm going twin throttle bodies and EFI so I can go from the TR2-X to Holley strip Dom. intake to 3933198 and just put in a different program. Even looking at &quot;stacked&quot; injection with the EFI conversion just to play with. </div></div>

12-21-2011, 10:02 PM
&quot;Just use the tried and true MSD 6AL and hide it behind the glove box inside the car. WE have never had any luck with the Uni-lite stuff.&quot;

A big Plus 1 on that man. When I had my speed shops in the seventies, we were pretty much overwhelmed with warranty claims on the Unilite stuff. So much so, we tried not to sell it, because all it did was to create an unhappy customer.

Wayne

Kim_Howie
12-21-2011, 11:01 PM
My ZL-1 uses thermoquads.
My intake is a 1969-70 tunnel ram.
I am looking for a quad top for my weiand. Currently I use a Holley top with a holley to quad spacer.
I take these carbs any day.

PxTx
12-22-2011, 03:34 AM
I've had lots of luck with an MSD ignition boxes.

As for the distributor, nothing wrong in my book with starting out with a stock core. I think you and Benjamin can use one of the stock ones you have and give it a fresh overhaul, &quot;ball point pen spring&quot; re-curve, mod your vac advance travel and limit it to no more than 10 degrees.

Triggering of the CD box can still be with points. If you are worried about the rubbing block wear etc. than your favorite under cap electronic conversion. Crane offers one with a rev limiter that seems to be decent, but far from your only choice.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/08/ESpark/Images/xribox_lg.jpg

Nova Jed
12-22-2011, 04:13 AM
I thought Crane went out of business?

PxTx
12-22-2011, 04:21 AM
They seem to think differently:

http://www.facebook.com/cranecams

Hemicolt
12-22-2011, 04:22 AM
They were bought out by S&amp;S Cycle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nova Jed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Crane went out of business? </div></div>

69 Post Sedan
12-22-2011, 04:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had lots of luck with an MSD ignition boxes.

As for the distributor, nothing wrong in my book with starting out with a stock core. I think you and Benjamin can use one of the stock ones you have and give it a fresh overhaul, &quot;ball point pen spring&quot; re-curve, mod your vac advance travel and limit it to no more than 10 degrees.

Triggering of the CD box can still be with points. If you are worried about the rubbing block wear etc. than your favorite under cap electronic conversion. Crane offers one with a rev limiter that seems to be decent, but far from your only choice.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/08/ESpark/Images/xribox_lg.jpg </div></div>

X2 with the XR-i ignition. It worked great in my BBC Nova and the rev limiter was good insurance....cause I like RPM's. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

Kurt

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-22-2011, 11:07 PM
All of that sounds great - I wasn't sure if the stock dizzy would fit the TR. Love the under cap stuff, and the hidden MSD box.

tjs44
12-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Here is a pic of a factory Pontiac tunnel ram intake.The coined name on it was the &quot;bathtub intake&quot;.They were givin to factory pontiac racers the end of 1962.Might have been one of the earlyest tunnel ram intakes.Tom

Plowman
12-23-2011, 03:36 AM
Do you know any more info. I heard only 18 were made,can you help. *Paul

tjs44
12-23-2011, 03:52 AM
Really not sure,back in the 63-64 time I owned 2 diff ones and again in the 90s I owned a couple more.There was a run of repop intakes done by some guys in IL,I believe about 25-30 of them.I have 2 now and have owned a few others.Randy Williams before he passed away did another run of repops with the post 64 water pattern.He made about a 1/2 dz with diff plenum designs.The repops work better than the originals as the desogn flaw they had was reomoved.Tom

tjs44
12-23-2011, 03:52 AM
removed!

Plowman
12-23-2011, 03:59 AM
Casting slag on the edges was still there,in the one that I had in my hands. *Paul

Xplantdad
12-23-2011, 04:00 AM
Great info Tom!

Plowman
12-23-2011, 08:12 AM
It also had spots for small carbs just for idle. Wow that is some intake,Tunnel Ram that is. I think now a days you can just buy a Edelbrock Tunnel Ram that out does the factory set up. *Paul

tjs44
12-23-2011, 04:54 PM
the original intake had a spot in the center for a side draft 1 bbl idel carb.Never seen one used but have seen a factory pic of one installed.Tom

PxTx
12-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Very interesting, had to do a quick search for pics. ANyone have the factory shots?

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/b-man64/Pontiac%20Bathtub%20Intake/attachment-2.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/b-man64/Pontiac%20Bathtub%20Intake/DSC01245.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/b-man64/Pontiac%20Bathtub%20Intake/DSC01248.jpg

tjs44
12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
that top pic is another of mine.The bottem is a repop.I will see if I can get a pic from Pete McCarthys book goo enough to post.Tom

tjs44
12-23-2011, 05:55 PM
they came out OK,and it WAS a 2bbl carb for the center.Tom

PxTx
12-23-2011, 06:29 PM
WOW! Thanks for posting. Really cool factory gradndaddy of Tunnel Ram right there.

TheNovaMan
12-23-2011, 07:47 PM
That's pretty sweet - gotta love rare factory performance parts!

Plowman
12-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Thats the one factory bathtub grandndaddy tunnel ram with 2bbl idling carb. The one I was talking about was not for a wagon. You have all the info I could ask for and pictures also. Thank you Tom. *Paul

tjs44
12-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Most non pontiac guys have NO clue how far ahead of the HiPo biz that Pontiac was back them.When the racing ban went into effect in 63 it pretty much cut the heart out of the engineers.The RA V tunnel port project in 69 was just a copy of the Ford tunnel port program.I was lucky enough to be racing in the early 60s and had the inside track on the SD parts and programs becaus of Micky Thompson and Jess Tyree.I still have one of the alu RA V blocks,a 303 SCCA short deck Cross Ram intakes stached away.Tom

Fast67VelleN2O
12-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Can anyone post a clearer picture of the 3 barrel Carter AFB?

-Matt

Plowman
12-24-2011, 12:42 AM
I have seen two 3 barrel Holley 950cfm and I think 3 barrel Holley 1050cfm on Tunnel Ram,that's all. *Paul

tjs44
12-24-2011, 01:11 AM
I have owned a few of them,will see if I have any old pics around.They were used on the super speedways only.They had no primary metering rods and were 1 to one on the primary and secondarys.Also had no air valves on the secondary.They made VERY few of them.Seems like the intakes show up way more than the carbs.Tom

Fast67VelleN2O
12-24-2011, 02:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjs44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned a few of them,will see if I have any old pics around.They were used on the super speedways only.They had no primary metering rods and were 1 to one on the primary and secondarys.Also had no air valves on the secondary.They made VERY few of them.Seems like the intakes show up way more than the carbs.Tom </div></div>

The reason that I ask is that my dad saw an NOS one at Carlisle in the 1980's and told me about it when I picked up a few Holley 3 barrels a few years back. I would like to show him some pictures to show that he was right (I was a doubter since I have never seen one until now).

-Matt

tjs44
12-24-2011, 02:15 AM
that pic of the underside shows the only real diff.From the top they look exactly like a 750 SD AFB like what is on my bathtub pic.Tom

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I know, there is a dash and a number after the part number for every time there was a change in the carb.
In other words 1850 would be a first edition, 1850-1 would be second edition, etc.
I can't say for sure what -numbers indicate what year span, but I'm sure someone here or at Holley can tell you.
The 600's I'm going to use are 1850-1. They are all metal with the good metal floats. Everyone is pretty much right about the carbs., 660's are just about made for wide open only and very difficult to make work well for the street. </div></div>

Ok, so I should be looking for 1850's, or 1850-1's, with vacuum secondaries. What about choke? Are the 1850 series all manual choke units?

Also, I see some ad's that say '...not dual quad carbs...', what does that mean? Can't you just mount 2 of these 1850 units and connect them together with the throttle linkage and fuel lines? I'm not trying to make a masterpiece out of it, but want it to be functional and reasonably period correct.

PxTx
01-05-2012, 05:53 PM
You can look for any matched pair of 1850's. The only areas where they may be plastic are in the VS diaphragm cover and the arm that pushed on the accelerator pump. No big deal there.

You won't need to run a choke on this set-up. You'll just take those parts, including the choke plate off. Trust me, we can go outside today and my dual quad Malibu will fire right off. It might take just a little bit of pedal to keep the idle up enough so it won't stall, but the important part is that it fires right off. While you are working on the tune, it isn't uncommon to get a back fire every once in a while till it is fully sorted out. When that happens, the choke plates wedge closed and it is a problem.

I personally don't like to tie the VS together. I only want the carb to draw what it needs. I don't want it being biased by the draw of another part of the intake it isn't really contributing to.

As for them not being TR specific carbs,- don't sweat it. There are more details I don't feel like typing right now. Basically a TR carb will have some specific components and calibrations when carbs are originally intended to be run in pairs. The 1850 starts life as a basic, single 4 barell intended to stand on its own. I'd be happy to help you doccument the conversion of these carbs to your TR and show what mods enable them to become TR carbs.

A popular update kit for the carbs to have a secondary metering block kit added. If you get some with this already done, then that helps wiht the tune. I did this on my carbs. Basically a metering block and a longer fuel tube.

Now if you really want to look aggressive, you can look into running the dual feed or center hung float bowls. Some TR give you enough room to run them front to back, but some do not. I was talking to Grumpy not so long ago and he was mentioning that the sideways mounting of the carbs really is best in his eyes. It eliminated several inconsitant problems which he battled while racing. What do you like?

Hemicolt
01-05-2012, 06:02 PM
When you get to a certain model, the vac. secondary housing is plastic. I would try to stay with the earlier design. Idle, intermediate and high side air bleeds are not adjustable, so I can't say you need to be looking for a specific carb. I imagine you are going to rebuild any used carb. you get, so as long as they physically match, you can get them dialed in to match from a tuning stand point. And what I mean by that is squirter size and squirter cam profile, jets, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I know, there is a dash and a number after the part number for every time there was a change in the carb.
The 600's I'm going to use are 1850-1. They are all metal with the good metal floats. Everyone is pretty much right about the carbs., 660's are just about made for wide open only and very difficult to make work well for the street. </div></div>

Ok, so I should be looking for 1850's, or 1850-1's, with vacuum secondaries. What about choke? Are the 1850 series all manual choke units?

Also, I see some ad's that say '...not dual quad carbs...', what does that mean? Can't you just mount 2 of these 1850 units and connect them together with the throttle linkage and fuel lines? I'm not trying to make a masterpiece out of it, but want it to be functional and reasonably period correct. </div></div>

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Ok, thanks. The hunt continues - along with the learning curve!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Picked up a pair of 1850's at Carlisle last Friday with the non-plastic vs setup. All there, including choke setups, etc.... Making a little progress here and there!

Now will need to determine how to cut the hood to clear all this stuff!

69 Post Sedan
05-20-2012, 01:50 AM
I thought I would bring this thread back........I just picked this Edelbrock TR2 tunnel ram up.

Kurt

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7246.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7235.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7244.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7248.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7236.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7239.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7243.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7250.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/brkyard/Parts/100_7251.jpg

396L35
05-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Hey Kurt I think you can hide a jug of moonshine in that log...

Newman
05-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Forgot about that thread....obviously I didn't make a decision last summer. Actually I ended up freshening the engine and transmission and doing some detail work instead of buying wheels.

TheNovaMan
09-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Anybody ever try installing power valves in a pair of 660 center squirters on a tunnel ram?

Plowman
09-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Way do you ask,do you think Tunnel Ram's carbs{with that big Tunnel Ram} won't back fire. Yes you can do it but there are other things to do at the same time to help it to work &quot;On The Street&quot;. That Edelbrock TR2 with the 1&quot; center section is good because it helps out for &quot;The Street&quot; user.

TheNovaMan
09-11-2012, 10:43 PM
The reason I ask is this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da Grump (in The Chevrolet Racing Engine)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 4224 idle circuit requires some &quot;fixing&quot; in order to achieve a clean idle with a radical engine. The idle circuit in the number 5913 primary metering block supplied with the 4224 was originally designed for a carb with a power-valve system. The 4224 doesn't have a power-valve circuit and the idle circuit may be very rich with the normal race engine idle settings.</div></div>
And then he goes on to the bit about the 0.017&quot; diameter wire in the idle feed restriction. I was reading that the other night, and I thought &quot;why not just put a power valve in it then? I drive on the street, and it might cut down on some unnecessary fuel consumption while cleaning up the idle and off-idle mixtures at the same time!&quot;

I don't experience backfires very much, but I figure I'd probably install power valve protector check valves while modifying the carbs for power valves.

PxTx
09-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Sounds cool! So what is your setup? 396 with 660's on what intake? I love real life tuning discussions over speculated theory. Have you posted pics before?

Hemicolt
09-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Power valve circuit should help you.
When we ran the 540 on the dyno, the A.F. ratio was down in the 11.0 range. Way to fat for a street car. Bobby Myers added a power valve to the Dominator by removing the block off and drilling two holes into the metering plate to feed fuel to the power valve. After moving down 4 jet sizes, the average A.F. ratio was in the 14.5 range at idle and through the pull.

Plowman
09-12-2012, 03:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNovaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason I ask is this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da Grump (in The Chevrolet Racing Engine)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 4224 idle circuit requires some &quot;fixing&quot; in order to achieve a clean idle with a radical engine. The idle circuit in the number 5913 primary metering block supplied with the 4224 was originally designed for a carb with a power-valve system. The 4224 doesn't have a power-valve circuit and the idle circuit may be very rich with the normal race engine idle settings.</div></div>
And then he goes on to the bit about the 0.017&quot; diameter wire in the idle feed restriction. I was reading that the other night, and I thought &quot;why not just put a power valve in it then? I drive on the street, and it might cut down on some unnecessary fuel consumption while cleaning up the idle and off-idle mixtures at the same time!&quot;

I don't experience backfires very much, but I figure I'd probably install power valve protector check valves while modifying the carbs for power valves. </div></div>* Also a vacuum advance helps clean up the idle with Tunnel Ram too.

TheNovaMan
09-12-2012, 06:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds cool! So what is your setup? 396 with 660's on what intake? I love real life tuning discussions over speculated theory. Have you posted pics before? </div></div> If this question was directed at me, I've got a 454 with untouched 990 heads, an Edelbrock TR2X, and a Crane p/n 134691 solid flat tappet cam (256/[email protected], 580/600, 110LSA). It runs pretty well, but I can make it better. The best pass of the three I've made so far was [email protected]. A/F ratio was pretty darn close to what it should be, but it leaned out for a moment after each shift (TH350) and went way rich when I let off at the end.

Maybe I'll try the vacuum advance this weekend and see how it likes it.

ssl78396
09-17-2012, 04:38 AM
<span style="color: #3333FF">Wow..this was a first.
What's the time period on this one ? </span>

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx98/rpol78_photos/Swap%20Parts/2012-09-16001.jpg
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx98/rpol78_photos/Swap%20Parts/2012-09-16002.jpg

Glenn70
09-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Looks like Joe Sherman used that manifold back in the mid 70's to run well into the 9 second range with his 70 chevelle. Was made for dominators looks like adapter plates on the one shown.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd423/Glennls7/meangreen4.jpg

brent396
09-18-2012, 12:01 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-...ies&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-GASSER-RACE-EDELBROCK-TUNNEL-RAM-B-B-CHEVY-ALUM-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-/130768534040?hash=item1e72697a18&amp;item=130768534040 &amp;pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&amp;vxp=mtr )

TheNovaMan
09-20-2012, 04:19 AM
47 degrees total at 3000rpm!!!

Plowman
09-20-2012, 12:05 PM
47 degrees total at 3000 rpm,possibility distributor retard switch because of 41 degrees at 8000 rpm.

Glenn70
09-20-2012, 04:27 PM
I talked to Joe over on speedtalk and at the time he raced the chevelle it had an unreal for the day 800&quot; lift camshaft so maybe the added timing at lower engine speeds helped it idle better? All I know is 9:50 ets in 1975 was pretty serious! He musta known sumpthin?

Hemicolt
09-21-2012, 12:17 AM
I can't say for sure why his tune had that much timing down low, but he may have had the same issue as my 540. Fuel lighting in the pipes required way more timing down low.

TheNovaMan
09-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Maybe he was using purple avgas?

brent396
11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I am looking for thease air cleaners do you know who made thease style http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/SPIKEYZ0/Picture218725.jpg

Fast67VelleN2O
11-09-2012, 08:49 PM
They look like they could be Eelco or Helling &amp; Stelling.

olredalert
11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
----Yup,,,I was going to stay Stellings too......Bill S

brent396
11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Any for sale out there thanks Brent <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Salvatore
11-09-2012, 10:25 PM
maybe Cal Custom? I am surprised that big motor would even start up on those short stacked air cleaners.

bergy
11-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Tony Branda has them.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-18-2016, 09:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up a pair of 1850's at Carlisle last Friday with the non-plastic vs setup. All there, including choke setups, etc.... Making a little progress here and there!

Now will need to determine how to cut the hood to clear all this stuff! </div></div>

I stumbled onto this old thread...

Eric's got my 1850's now! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/Carb%201c_zpsdf5cxame.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/aacorp/media/Carb%201c_zpsdf5cxame.jpg.html)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/Carb%201a_zpslhknysnx.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/aacorp/media/Carb%201a_zpslhknysnx.jpg.html)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/Carb%201b_zps84lkfoy9.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/aacorp/media/Carb%201b_zps84lkfoy9.jpg.html)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/Carb%202c_zps7pj0vo6r.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/aacorp/media/Carb%202c_zps7pj0vo6r.jpg.html)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/Carb%202a_zps8nvdinkh.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/aacorp/media/Carb%202a_zps8nvdinkh.jpg.html)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/Carb%202b_zpsnammo2sw.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/aacorp/media/Carb%202b_zpsnammo2sw.jpg.html)

This kid will be the talk of his school!!! Hard to believe he's 15 now. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/eek.gif

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/BenjaminandSS3.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/aacorp/media/BenjaminandSS3.jpg.html)

Day2_69Z
10-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Small Block Chevy
EDELBROCK.....The Most Productive Tunnel Ram of its time
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/10/full-13370-51147-img_20141222_163629.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/10/full-13370-51148-img_20141222_163924.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/10/full-13370-51149-img_20141222_163703.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/10/full-13370-51152-img_20141222_163715.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/10/full-13370-51154-img_20141222_163828.jpg

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Soooo..... how do you hook up the vacuum line for the carbs and brake booster with these TR's??

cook_dw
10-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Drill and tap.

Or run a vacuum canister from a vacuum port off the carb. Will the cam supply enough vacuum at idle? Roughly 15&quot; or so minimum.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
11-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Hmm.... no idea. I guess we are going vacuum canister....

cook_dw
11-01-2016, 02:17 PM
I have seen people just running vac off the carb baseplate but I would not think that would be enough volume for the brakes plus I wouldnt consider it safe. I think the canister is the best route or run manual discs.

cook_dw
10-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Gonna join the tunnel ram club and revive an old thread. Yes I know the top plate is backwards. Its all just for looks. I'll be cleaning this one up here soon.

big gear head
10-15-2019, 05:26 PM
I'm hoping to get a tunnel ram on mine sometime this winter. I've got 2 to choose from, a Offy and a TR2X, but I haven't decided which one to use.

markinnaples
10-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Still running mine, although it's off now while I'm getting the heads redone.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-15-2019, 09:38 PM
This kid was indeed the talk of the school.....

big gear head
10-16-2019, 12:08 AM
I bet he was! Among all of the Camrys, Accords and other junk I'm sure that car stood out very bright and loud.

big gear head
06-23-2021, 01:07 AM
I picked up a few more tunnel rams this week. I've got 5 now. It's a sickness. :tongue:

dvss1
06-23-2021, 03:14 PM
Need the spacer diffuser plate for the breadbox. Saw one of those blow up at US 30 dragstrip.

big gear head
06-23-2021, 05:53 PM
The gasser guys are filling the bottom with epoxy.