PDA

View Full Version : Zip ties

TheNovaMan
12-13-2011, 05:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/JuniorStock/HR_Ansen101.jpg

more info to read here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527739&amp;showall=1

http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/#ARH

</div></div>
Does anyone know when this ad was run? Those look an awful lot like zip ties on the roll bar to me...

Hemicolt
12-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Thread on the HAMB says Hot Rod Nov. 1967

But from the title of this thread and your question, maybe you are wondering about the history of zip ties?
They were first released in the late 1950's.

The two links you posted, they are discussing the history of Ansen slots.

??????????????????

TheNovaMan
12-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Yes, I posted the ad because it could be evidence that zip ties are OK for Day 2. Thomas &amp; Betts came out with the Ty-Rap in 1958, but they were originally metal. I don't know when they switched to nylon or when they were first used in automotive applications, but if the ad is from 1967 AND those things are zip ties, then zip ties must be OK for a Day 2 1970 Nova. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Hemicolt
12-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Now here is another debate. Are we taking the all the fun out of this when we are wondering if and what zip ties may or may not be correct? Now we need to determine if it's going to be clear or colored. lol

whitetop
12-14-2011, 07:29 PM
I have an NOS Hurst shifter install kit from approx 1970-1972 and it has black zip ties holding it in place in the box.

I have seen a ton of zip ties used on cars back in the day and in old speed equipment packaging.

TheNovaMan
12-17-2011, 12:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now here is another debate. Are we taking the all the fun out of this when we are wondering if and what zip ties may or may not be correct? Now we need to determine if it's going to be clear or colored. lol </div></div>
It's interesting that you point that out. I think everyone has their own set of what they'll let slide and what concerns them. For example, here I am worried about whether or not zip ties are OK, but I'm not willing to replace my K&amp;N air filters with white paper air filters, even though the filters are WAY more noticeable than zip ties.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an NOS Hurst shifter install kit from approx 1970-1972 and it has black zip ties holding it in place in the box.

I have seen a ton of zip ties used on cars back in the day and in old speed equipment packaging. </div></div>
Hooray! I can use zip ties!

Hemicolt
12-17-2011, 12:34 AM
[/quote] It's interesting that you point that out. I think everyone has their own set of what they'll let slide and what concerns them. For example, here I am worried about whether or not zip ties are OK, but I'm not willing to replace my K&amp;N air filters with white paper air filters, even though the filters are WAY more noticeable than zip ties. quote]

I know what you mean. There are some things I will go the extra mile for and others that I will not. Even though I could make those things 100% correct, I'm not worried about it.

12-17-2011, 01:42 AM
On the K&amp;N front....does anyone know when they actually started making car filters? They started building motorcycle filters in (I think) 1969. Maybe they actually started building car filters in the seventies? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/confused.gif

Wayne

427TJ
12-17-2011, 07:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are we taking the all the fun out of this when we are wondering if and what zip ties may or may not be correct?</div></div>

Don't let the Correctness Police take the fun out of Day 2! (But they probably will.)

Tommy
12-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Zip ties are everywhere on my junk.

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif