PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro build

Hemicolt
12-21-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm just about finished with this car for a customer.
69 Camaro with a 540, Jerico 4-speed and Strange Engineering 9" rear.
Heidts 4-link, ( tried to get him to do Detroit Speed but he wouldn't go that route ), tube control arms, manual rack and pinion.
We replaced everything on this car except for the roof structure and the firewall and toe boards.
Detroit Speed frame connectors were added and the OEM style inner tubs were widened 3".
Car has alot of hidden mods that the average person won't pick up on.
He is going to make the car look sort of like the Penske Sunoco car , but for the street.

Hemicolt
12-21-2011, 11:39 PM
I made the transmission crossmember part of the chassis / floor so the exhaust could be placed higher into the car.
I used solid aluminum stock and machined the rack mounts so they could bolt to the crossmember.

Hemicolt
12-21-2011, 11:46 PM
A Stef's stroker pan was added and clearence had
to be built into the crossmember as well as the
header tube for the steering shaft.
Building a version of the cowl air cleaner.

Hemicolt
12-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Air cleaner.

Hemicolt
12-21-2011, 11:57 PM
AMD sheetmetal fit really well.

markinnaples
12-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Would a Dynacorn body have been a better start? Just curious.

Hemicolt
12-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Oh yeah.
That's what I tried to tell the customer. His argument
was that "those cars have no soul". Of course on the
flip side of that, it gave my bank account plenty of soul..lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a Dynacorn body have been a better start? Just curious. </div></div>

Nova Jed
12-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Doesn't look like there is any American soul left but the sweat that you are putting into it??

How well did all the repop panels fit? Looks good from the pics.

PxTx
12-22-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree Jed. Plenty of soul in my opinion. Ain't no LS motor swap car- a real Big Block Chevy. I also love that it is a regular old 4 gear manual trans car. These modern 5 and 6 speeds just don't feel like I need them to.

Nova Jed
12-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Ooops. Paul, I was commenting on the body. Other than that, that will have some cajones!

Nova Jed
12-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Ooops. I was commenting more on the body aspect then anything else. Other than that Paul you are correct. That thing will have some cajones!

Nova Jed
12-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Ooops. I was commenting more on the body aspect then anything else. Other than that Paul you are correct. That thing will have some cajones!

Hemicolt
12-22-2011, 04:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nova Jed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ooops. I was commenting more on the body aspect then anything else. Other than that Paul you are correct. That thing will have some cajones! </div></div>

AMD sheetmetal is by far the best stuff I have used. But, no ones sheetmetal fits perfect. I have seen cars that had never
been wrecked have issues with GM sheetmetal.
Geoff Stunkard has covered the sheetmetal portion for a series of stories for Muscle Car Review. It will show some of the hurdles we ran into along the way. I have no idea when it will
be printed though.
We are going to install the aluminum front end shortly. I'll be curious to see how that fits.

Hemicolt
12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna have to disagree Jed. Plenty of soul in my opinion. Ain't no LS motor swap car- a real Big Block Chevy. I also love that it is a regular old 4 gear manual trans car. These modern 5 and 6 speeds just don't feel like I need them to. </div></div>

Here is one that you won't like..lol
Finished this car last year. It has a LS3 from Turnkey Engines.
Air Ride and all the modern goodies. I couldn't figure this guy
out. He had us take the car down completely and do the build,
but he refused to paint the car, other than the engine compartment. The body work and paint were
awful.

markinnaples
12-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Yeah, that drivers' door body line isn't lined up very well...

Hemicolt
12-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Yes. The doors hinges were worn out as well as the doors themselves. Rust in the bottoms, etc. Someone had put quarter skins in at one time and overlapped them. They were cracked along the seam.
Like I said, I couldn't figure his logic. He had me go to all that trouble on the engine compartment and underside but didn't make a strike on the body.
Car would fly though. I would say a solid high 11 second car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, that drivers' door body line isn't lined up very well... </div></div>

Hemicolt
01-01-2012, 12:33 AM
The owner started fitting up the subframe and engine today. I tell you, I can't figure these guys out. The body work is 50% done and he is mounting the subframe and engine. He is going to shrink wrap everything and then finish the body work and paint the car.
I asked him why doesn't he paint the car and then put everything together? His excuse is that he will stay motivated if he keeps seeing it go together.

Hemicolt
02-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Went out and helped the owner get the engine and trans. installed. Also fitted the doors and aluminum front end.

Plowman
02-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Coming along.

markinnaples
02-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Aluminum front end?

x77-69z28
02-15-2012, 08:34 PM
amd shows aluminum front ends in their catalog. just got some of their sheetmetal for my 70 z project. i hope it is as nice as everyone says!

Hemicolt
02-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Yes. AMD makes aluminum front sheetmetal, front and rear bumpers and deck lid.
I've been an AMD dealer for a while. Their product is the best fitting I've used so far. Keep in mind though, none of this stuff falls right on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aluminum front end? </div></div>

Postsedan
02-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Tracy,

Great Build! Nice work. Too bad the customer would not coin up for ALL the Detroit Speed parts. I really like the Penske Sunoco concept.

Keep up the great work.

I`ll be posting a Camaro build soon that will blow you away.

Dan

Hemicolt
08-21-2013, 05:30 PM
It's done. Going to alignment and install the glass and aluminum front end.

mockingbird812
08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Sharp build Tracy!

markinnaples
08-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Whew, the paint on that looks sweet, as does the stance.

Sunoco67
03-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Anymore build photos !!! I really like the theme of this car.. Big block, 4speed, roll bar , early 5 spoke wheels..... Any photos would be great..