PDA

View Full Version : '72 Pace Car

TimG
12-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I have an option to purchase a 1972 Hurst Olds Pace Car sunroof coupe that is one of 17 with the X code W-30 motor in the car and designated in the VIN. This is pretty rare as the W-30 engine wasn’t available in a Cutlass Supreme coupe, only the convertible and Cutlass S. The car was restored at 50,000 miles and is very nice with the original motor. Of course, it’s a Turbo 400 automatic and it is without air conditioning as it should be with the X code. Any thoughts as to what a car like this is worth? Asking price is in the mid 50’s. I don’t believe there is any other documentation aside from it being an X code Cutlass Supreme, this pretty much pegs it as a HO Pace Car.

JOZW30
12-28-2011, 06:31 PM
This is good question Tim. 72 pace cars really haven't caught their stride pricewise. I could never figure out why they weren't the cream of the crop being so limited and usually pretty tough/costly to fake.

The 72 W30's do pretty well by comparison. So a W30 ("X" VIN) and the pace car (W45 on trim tag) pedigree should be winner.

Not sure that I've seen either one separately get to the $50K number though (actual sold $). HOCA pricewatch shows a ragtop selling for $79K and a number one hardtop selling at $41K. Could be when the prices were up in general and doens't relfect todays softer market?

So you shouldn't be far off if you are looking at a top-notch restored numbers car.

Very cool car if you are into Olds that's for sure.

Good luck!

Joe

442w30
12-29-2011, 02:50 AM
I'm not a fan of the H/O from that year, but an honest-to-goodness W-30 is unique because of the bodystyle (although don't forget the W-30 was also available on the regular Cutlass 4-4-2 too!). Sounds like a sweet car!

Canuck
12-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Mid 50's is not out of site for a properly restored 1972 W30. Interesting about the low numbers on the 1972 "X" code cars. Less than 20 of Cutlass s post coupe,Cutlass hardtop and Hurst Olds Hardtop.
How about other options on that H/O you are considering, Sunroof or any other Power accessories.

TimG
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM
It is a sunroof car, the only other options are PS and PB along with AM/FM radio.

It does have the original Polysteel spare and that's rare. I remember seeing these 60 series tires on the '72 HO and realized that I could get a 60 series tire on my 1972 442. I saved for Radial TA's and put them on my 442 in 1973.

daverd
12-31-2011, 12:51 AM
I owned one of these x code 72 hurst oldsmobiles about 20
years ago it was from Berejik motors originally
i got it in a trade and it was rough back then
came in pieces I put together and sold it to a guy in N.Y.C. the car had vey few options aside from sunroof dident have a/c or raylle pac guages,,......wish I kept that one...good luck on your find sounds fantastic