PDA

View Full Version : Interior styles

Hemicolt
01-06-2012, 01:21 AM
I bought a 68 Barracuda back in the late 80's that had been built and was unchanged since the mid 70's. The interior was black diamond tuck.
I remember my Dad having some cars that were put together in the late 60's that had diamond tuck. I'm just curious as to when that trend as well as any others got started, that were popular in the mid 70's
Does anyone have any modified interior shots from that era they can post?

Thanks

whitetop
01-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Diamond Tuck was one of the most popular if not THE most popular aftermarket interior in the 1970's without a doubt. DT was used in the 1960's fairly common as well. I would say easily 60-70% of the cars featured in "Street Machine" magazine in the 1970's had some sort of DT interior..it was that popular.

Popular in both Crushed velvet and plain naughayde. DT was around forever and used in cars since day one literally.

Tuck and Roll was the interior to have in the 1950's and 1960's.

whitetop
01-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Don Whites old D2 Chevelle. I think the door panels were also done as well as the trunk but where changed out.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/dtinterior.jpg

PxTx
01-06-2012, 01:55 AM
It was a bit before my time, but I always got the vibe that the diamond tuck began cut the Kustoms of the 1960's and eventually worked its way into the modern cars of the day.

I personally never accepted it as Day2 mod for muscle cars. For me in popular applications it went form the 1960's vintage Kustoms, skipped over the muscle cars and was embraced by the Van guys of the 1970's. I didn't live it and Don did.

Don, I like the Chevelle over all but the interior just isn't my taste.

I have seen a mild diamond pattern used on the old FG race seats someone was asking about a day or so ago, but it was much more conservative looking.

Hemicolt
01-06-2012, 03:20 AM
When I look at that Chevelle interior it just floods my mind with memories of running around in the sun with my bare feet, and not a care in the world.
All while my Dad was laying the Turtle Wax onto whatever car he had at the time. I can still get the smell of those cars in my nose sometimes. Makes me miss the him.
He would finish up and take us out for a Sunday ride after listening to the race on the old AM. I thought the diamond tuck was the coolest thing to sit on at the time.

69 Post Sedan
01-06-2012, 03:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I look at that Chevelle interior it just floods my mind with memories of running around in the sun with my bare feet, and not a care in the world.
All while my Dad was laying the Turtle Wax onto whatever car he had at the time. I can still get the smell of those cars in my nose sometimes. Makes me miss the him.
He would finish up and take us out for a Sunday ride after listening to the race on the old AM. I thought the diamond tuck was the coolest thing to sit on at the time. </div></div>

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

GTO_DON
01-06-2012, 06:21 AM
I had to change the door panels{it was too much] and the floors were even covered in Diamond tuck.Took the gauges out too because i couldnt see the speedometer. It did look cool though