PDA

View Full Version : original owner made it to MCACN!

black69
01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
original owner came to the 2011 show and had a great time!

So did I!

He has not seen the car for years.

He brought his daughter that told me she had pictures of it when it when it was new (he gave to her back when she was little). He invited me and my wife to go through shoe boxes and albums of pictures at his home when we vist this spring.

Many thanks to steve for getting me in the Vintage display. It was the reason I got him to come.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/xxxblack69/DSC_1009.jpg
he wore a hat that matched the car

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/xxxblack69/DSC_1005.jpg

and showed me how he had to trim the wheel wells ever so slightly to run H60 15 when it was new.
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/xxxblack69/DSC_1007.jpg

mockingbird812
01-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Congrats Bob! That is a very special event! Let us know when u get yr hands on those original photos. Then it will be time to give your car the D2 treatment! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

black69
01-17-2012, 01:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats Bob! That is a very special event! Let us know when u get yr hands on those original photos. Then it will be time to give your car the D2 treatment! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif </div></div>

sam, I already have some pictures of the day2 look from the second owner, he pretty much did nothing to the car when he got it in 74, and put in a barn of his. I should scan them. wisconsin corn in the background.

It is all day 2 under the hood still. has the corvette 15 x 8 still on it in back. just need the H 60 15s tires. I still have an old set that was on the car. glasspacks under it still.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/xxxblack69/DSC09328.jpg

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/xxxblack69/DSC_0799.jpg

appliance headers

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/xxxblack69/DSC09266.jpg

neat day2 pulley for racing <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/xxxblack69/DSC09329.jpg

mockingbird812
01-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Cool Bob. Now I remember your car. Very neat!

mockingbird812
01-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Hey Bob, what is the pulley below the alternator?

bashton
01-17-2012, 04:04 AM
That is awesome and shows exactly what MCACN is all about. Congrats on hosting the original owner and being able to hear the stories of your gorgeous car!

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

bergy
01-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Now that's the kind of documentation that is priceless!!! Original owner - real car. Gotta love it.

elonblock
01-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Great story! Good job, bringing the two back together again.

Keith Tedford
01-17-2012, 01:22 PM
The extra idler, keeps the belt in place at high rpm.

mockingbird812
01-17-2012, 01:30 PM
That is an after market piece, right Keith?

black69
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is an after market piece, right Keith? </div></div>

I will say the original owner raced stock cars and his engine builder did this engine. It would not surprize me at all, this is something they used regularly on cars living at redline like a long roadrace.

Now whether its a GM part, I dont know, probably not. I do have a similar setup (an actual GM part) that was available for 57-62 corvette race cars to keep the belts on during racing. It still new in a box. So GM did make something for road racers prior to 69.

PeteLeathersac
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
THE Coolest!!!

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

Atuckman
01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
fantastic car and history

black69
01-19-2012, 01:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atuckman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fantastic car and history </div></div>

thanks! I do think the car and the original owner stories need to be in camaro performer..or something like that.

here is what I learned at MCACN hanging out with the owner:

1. Professionally he raced against AJ foyt and waltrip brothers. He beat one of the waltrips with his inferior machine.
2. He is into small fast planes now, still holds some unbroken salom speed records he set in 1992
3. he got out of stock car racing because back then there was no money in like there is now. Plus, he was running a $3800
engine against a <span style="font-weight: bold">$15K </span>motor in a foyt/waltrip car. Its hard being on the road raising a family (and bulldozing roads in wisconsin paid better than racing, with overtime)
4. he hit a wall straight on, splattered his stock car bad. ripped out his liver, back to racing in a few months. this was last time his daughter was allowed to watch one of his races.
5. he got into motorcycles, he was known for riding up and down wisconsin roads standing on the seat, no hands. best distance was 13 miles between towns.
6. he never lost a road race with the camaro (various counties west of madison wisconsin). Its been airborn many many times.
7. he traded in a mint red fuel injected 63 vette convert on the camaro. The camaro was very expensive, and he only got $1600 for the vette at Hult/thorsat. He said the dealers grandson got the vette after trade and really made him mad after they whittled him down.
8. Said to NOT start the MCACN show on the same weekend hunting season starts in wisconsin!
9. he not only had the very first L88 over the counter engine sold in wisconsin (from hult in Madison), he had other L88s engines in his cars. They floated the valves in the first L88, and it recovered fine with fixes. At the end of his racing days, they would bore out new 454 blocks .125 and run 427 cranks (for the rpm). They never ran a 454 crank on the track as they could not get the rpms out of it.

Was a great day, and got quality time with a cool owner. If only more of us had those experiences, living on the edge. Like I said, the MCACN show got him out (even during the start of hunting season). An he did spend hrs there walking around enjoying himself.

iluv69s
01-20-2012, 12:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bob, what is the pulley below the alternator? </div></div>

GM did make an idler pulley similar to this for the 67 Z..I had one a while back. I believe it came with PS cars that had 4:11 or 4:88 gears...but don't quote me..someone else probably knows better.

black69
01-20-2012, 01:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bob, what is the pulley below the alternator? </div></div>

GM did make an idler pulley similar to this for the 67 Z..I had one a while back. I believe it came with PS cars that had 4:11 or 4:88 gears...but don't quote me..someone else probably knows better. </div></div>

that's funny, this car came with a 4:10 and a 4 core radiator (some say tied to a 4:10 car as a must have), so maybe it is factory? yes I doubt it, but I need to go look at it closer.

mockingbird812
01-20-2012, 01:42 AM
That pulley is located where smog pulley is supposed to be! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

black69
01-20-2012, 01:47 AM
shows you how much I know <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif
maybe its made out of smog pump parts..that would make it GM for sure...

duh

Postsedan
01-21-2012, 07:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shows you how much I know <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif
maybe its made out of smog pump parts..that would make it GM for sure...

duh </div></div>

That`s because your really a Mopar Man <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

Great Stuff Bob.

Dan

black69
01-21-2012, 08:53 PM
well....ah......well......maybe....

Stefano
01-25-2012, 03:06 AM
That is a very cool deal. What a neat reunion!

ZAPPER68
03-10-2012, 08:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bob, what is the pulley below the alternator? </div></div>

GM did make an idler pulley similar to this for the 67 Z..I had one a while back. I believe it came with PS cars that had 4:11 or 4:88 gears...but don't quote me..someone else probably knows better. </div></div>

My L72 '66 Biscayne has a similar idler pulley. Most of them were removed are are now much sought after by the 'purists'. Interesting about the gears though, my car came from the factory with 4:11's.