PDA

View Full Version : big fronts on day 2 (w/ raised front ends)

black69
01-19-2012, 02:30 AM
check out the big ones on the front, and the raised front ends.

http://corvettes-musclecars.com/gallery2/v/KevinRaceCars/1970+SS454+LS6+Chevelle/1970+LS6.jpg.html

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=476905&page=5

both cars look evil (and correct)

day2killa
01-19-2012, 03:00 AM
the chevelle just looks wrong, but the challenger looks like it has no motor and will settle down with an install

PxTx
01-19-2012, 03:14 AM
That was a popular look circa 1970. The Chevelle that Henderson brought to MCACN 2011 was another example of the popular look. So popular it even was called out on the Motion invoices!

Hemicolt
01-19-2012, 03:20 AM
I remember my Dad having cars with that look. But I agree...Monster Truck look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the chevelle just looks wrong, but the challenger looks like it has no motor and will settle down with an install </div></div>

Plowman
01-19-2012, 04:59 PM
The Headers never hit or rubbed going up or down drive-ways[with the cars up]. Hey,Drive-ways you park in,and Park-ways you drive on. *Paul

Hemicolt
01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Steven Wright....
Gotta love that dry sense of humor.lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Headers never hit or rubbed going up or down drive-ways[with the cars up]. Hey,Drive-ways you park in,and Park-ways you drive on. *Paul </div></div>

black69
01-19-2012, 07:44 PM
I did this thread to make sure newbies to the day2 look are fully informed. I am in that class. I generally thought the skinnies were the true only path folks would go, but when you look around, there were quite a few cars out there with the wider fronts. AND they had their front ends raised.

just getting some reality checks out there for people to consider.

heck, I just bought 15 x 10 and 14 x 7 slots off a 69 camaro (deal I could not pass up, and will take a ton of polishing, but no scratches). They are still on the dead car, I will post a pic when I get it. another case of wide fronts.

to me, the best all around day 2 tire setup to recommend to a newbie would be the L60 15 goodyear polyglass whiteletter in back (a gift from the gods that they even still make them), and E 60 15 in front (like a t/a challenger)

Hemicolt
01-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Definitely had more cars around my area with this look than the other. I don't think I ever saw any front runners around here until the 1980's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did this thread to make sure newbies to the day2 look are fully informed. I am in that class. I generally thought the skinnies were the true only path folks would go, but when you look around, there were quite a few cars out there with the wider fronts. AND they had their front ends raised.

just getting some reality checks out there for people to consider.

heck, I just bought 15 x 10 and 14 x 7 slots off a 69 camaro (deal I could not pass up, and will take a ton of polishing, but no scratches). They are still on the dead car, I will post a pic when I get it. another case of wide fronts.

to me, the best all around day 2 tire setup to recommend to a newbie would be the L60 15 goodyear polyglass whiteletter in back (a gift from the gods that they even still make them), and E 60 15 in front (like a t/a challenger)</div></div>

Tommy
01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
My 68 Nova had fat wheels and tires on the front in the late 80's and early 90's. Eelco Ball joint extensions and Mr.Gasket spring rubbers in the bottom A-arm pockets lifted it up high and it had 15x8's with fat tires on all corners. The traction bars were reworked as well smashing the snubbers against the leafs sitting still... It rode like a concrete truck but went real fast and real straight and made a lot of noise and didn't stop very well....

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

Hemicolt
01-19-2012, 08:39 PM
You just described my Vega when it's finished..lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It rode like a concrete truck but went real fast and real straight and made a lot of noise and didn't stop very well....

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif</div></div>

whitetop
01-19-2012, 09:18 PM
IMO the black Chevelle is a little too high but the general look is great.

I do like to see some air between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender..looks aggressive and this was the common look back then.

As for skinny front runners very few street cars in my area ran them except for a handful.

Most common front tire was E/F78, E70/F70 and the E/F60's

Salvatore
01-19-2012, 10:08 PM
honestly only the drag guys ran the skinnies. If you raced your car say bi-monthly then you left the skinnies on but most ran what you said Dave. They were tough to handle at any turning radius. I never ran a 60 series on the front. To hard to steer and also a little to much of a wide look for me. E70 or E78-14's on 6&quot; Cragars front and L60-14's on 7&quot; Cragars rear were the ticket for my nova.

markjohnson
01-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Those wide, giant front tires are just murder on front ball joints!

Tommy
01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Yes, almost as bad as low front ends coupled with giant shackled rear ends with tall wide tires... A white knuckle ride during the &quot;panic stop&quot;... Add drum brakes and a small steering wheel to the mix and you will just give up and go home for the day...

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif