PDA

View Full Version : accel or no accel

day2killa
03-31-2012, 11:45 PM
I am not certain which way I like it better shooting for that Day2ish look, I also have the Accel yellow wires that are going on next, thanks for any help

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h31/oldprobmx/IMG_9971.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h31/oldprobmx/IMG_9970.jpg

Mk IV Muscle
04-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Here's my .02, hide the MSD box or change to a period-correct one, do the same with the line-lock. Get rid of the billet throttle return spring bracket, chrome water neck and split-loom covering on the wiring harness. Cal custom, M/T or old Moroso valve covers would be nice (With appropriate air cleaner).

Make sure the Accel wires don't have the big goofy red ribbed boots on the plug ends. I hope this doesn't sound like the Day 2 Police or that I'm some kind of "Expert". This is all just my opinion and things I may use if my junk ever gets finished.

AC.

Mr. Chevy
04-07-2012, 02:41 AM
I like the Accel look and yellow wires myself...

Rich

PxTx
04-07-2012, 03:15 AM
The fact you are shooting for the late 1970's/ early 1980's, I would say you are right on. I would like to see how the coil would look placed with a horizontal mounting, but might like your way more. Can't wait to see more pics!

Plowman
04-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Horizontal mounting so you can read the Accel.

day2killa
04-07-2012, 07:59 PM
funny I ended up mounting it horizontally, thanks for the input as for every change to make it day2 correct it is going to take some time. Almost ready to share some pics work is coming along nicely.

Salvatore
04-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I am with AC. the Moroso wire seperators and blue wires I think need to be replaced. Use 7mm wire. Any billet or chrome stuff lose also. MSD box would not be there yet. Not crazy about the ribbed wire raceways either. Keep up the good work KILLA!

Mk IV Muscle
04-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Some of those chrome wire separators would look okay, (The ones with the o-rings in them). I know these things are easier to talk about than do, hell, my car would have been done years ago if it was as simple as that! You're doing good stuff and thinking things through, just remember this stuff is supposed to be fun!

These cars are great to drive, but you should also enjoy the process of building/modifying them. Carry on!

whitetop
04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
I like Accel if you are going for the 70's look. Mallory was the king in the 50's and 60's but lost considerable market share to Accel in the early 70's. Every shop in my area carried Accel back in the day so that is what I am partial to.

If you run the coil horizontally make sure you tighten the 4 top screws every so often. The old gasket shrinks with age and you might get some oil seepage between the two coil sections.

flathood
04-08-2012, 04:45 PM
You could put a old school msd box cover on it like this one.

owners2
04-09-2012, 03:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am with AC. the Moroso wire seperators and blue wires I think need to be replaced. Use 7mm wire. Any billet or chrome stuff lose also. MSD box would not be there yet. Not crazy about the ribbed wire raceways either. Keep up the good work KILLA! </div></div> You say LOSE the chrome , my low mile 71 Z that spent its last days on the road in 74 had its original radiator support cover that still shows its G.M. Part # Chromed &amp; both sway bars with the mounting brackets chromed &amp; the center hood latch brace chromed. Are you thinking this was a later TREND ? ?????

day2killa
04-11-2012, 01:29 AM
is this better
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h31/oldprobmx/DSC00686.jpg

mockingbird812
04-11-2012, 02:27 AM
That's a nice clean look!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Hemicolt
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Looking good. Have you thought about finding one of the old Accel B.E.I. CD boxes and mount it on the firewall, just for looks?
I have an old advertisement somewhere for those on Grumpy's Toy. Dated around 74 to 75 I think.

Salvatore
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: owners2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am with AC. the Moroso wire seperators and blue wires I think need to be replaced. Use 7mm wire. Any billet or chrome stuff lose also. MSD box would not be there yet. Not crazy about the ribbed wire raceways either. Keep up the good work KILLA! </div></div> You say LOSE the chrome , my low mile 71 Z that spent its last days on the road in 74 had its original radiator support cover that still shows its G.M. Part # Chromed &amp; both sway bars with the mounting brackets chromed &amp; the center hood latch brace chromed. Are you thinking this was a later TREND ? ?????</div></div> The chrome stuff is really just my opinion. We here in eastern Pa. did not chrome or have chrome things in our engine compartments back in those late 60's early 70's days. At least not in my area.

owners2
04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: owners2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am with AC. the Moroso wire seperators and blue wires I think need to be replaced. Use 7mm wire. Any billet or chrome stuff lose also. MSD box would not be there yet. Not crazy about the ribbed wire raceways either. Keep up the good work KILLA! </div></div> You say LOSE the chrome , my low mile 71 Z that spent its last days on the road in 74 had its original radiator support cover that still shows its G.M. Part # Chromed &amp; both sway bars with the mounting brackets chromed &amp; the center hood latch brace chromed. Are you thinking this was a later TREND ? ?????</div></div> The chrome stuff is really just my opinion. We here in eastern Pa. did not chrome or have chrome things in our engine compartments back in those late 60's early 70's days. At least not in my area. </div></div> Thanks for the response.. Jeff

Mr. Chevy
04-12-2012, 12:12 AM
That looks great!! Love the look...

Rich

ss427copo
06-12-2012, 06:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not certain which way I like it better shooting for that Day2ish look, I also have the Accel yellow wires that are going on next, thanks for any help

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h31/oldprobmx/IMG_9971.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h31/oldprobmx/IMG_9970.jpg </div></div>

I buried my MSD below the glove box and my Accel is mounted horizonly and to the left of where yours is.