PDA

View Full Version : Lot S145 1970 L78 Chevelle Convert - 4 Speed

Postsedan
10-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Claims to be real....very nice <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...mp;startRow=337 (http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=AN1112-139588&amp;entryRow=342&amp;lottype=car&amp;startRow=337)

Dan

olredalert
10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
----Dan,,,That Chevelle looks a lot like a car that many of us saw at a Mecum auction about 7-8 years ago at Pheasant Run. The owner bought it already restored but it suffered on his watch. He was a kid with too much money (gold chains, attitude etc.). It definetly has been refreshed if not completley redone, and looks good in the pics, but how many blue/white/white 375hp 4-speed 70s can there be???..........Bill S

Tracker1
10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
...and this one - where are they getting these production numbers they are quoting, 19 L78s and 91 LS5s? - 10 4-speeds, 4 in fathom blue, etc.....I know of no production breakdowns for Chevelle body-styles to that level. If anybody has this source please turn me on to it. TIA

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...ign=FP1012_S112 (http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FP0912-137238&amp;utm_source=delivra&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_cam paign=FP1012_S112)

ohhawk
10-24-2012, 12:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Dan,,,That Chevelle looks a lot like a car that many of us saw at a Mecum auction about 7-8 years ago at Pheasant Run. The owner bought it already restored but it suffered on his watch. He was a kid with too much money (gold chains, attitude etc.). It definetly has been refreshed if not completley redone, and looks good in the pics, but how many blue/white/white 375hp 4-speed 70s can there be???..........Bill S </div></div>

Not the same car. This car is out of the Des Moines area and made an appearance at MCACN a year or two ago. Top shelf restoration done locally. It's the real deal and definitely a true trailer queen.

ne70ss
10-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I think that's the car that originally sold new out of Auburn, Ne.

Mr70
11-09-2012, 03:31 PM
If it was assembled @ Van Nuys on the 2nd week of Oct. &amp; last 2 VIN digits are 21,then yes &amp; with a 1972 dated 454 engine &amp; a 1967 dated transmission in it when the 5th owner acquired it recently,before it was restored.
It's factory 3:55 rearend housing was the only original drivetrain component found with it then,last I heard.
When it was for sale earlier,it came with a CE block included off to the side as well.

Don't know where they're getting those exaggerated factory production figures from,(1 of 19, 1 of 10,1 of 4 ),and neither Chevrolet or Fisher Body kept track of paint colors.
Very nice looking car,but that's the std. Super Sport hood,not a cowl induction.

sparky1698
11-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Rick you are correct this is the same car that was bought new in Auburn NE and the last two of the vin is 21.The previous owner bought it from a guy in NE along with a 67 Vette in 2009. The car was given a no expense spared restoration in 2009-10 by a good friend of mine here in Des Moines and it was debuted at MCACN in 2010 where it scored a 994 out of 1000 earning a gold award. Since then the owner has passed away and another collector from here bought it along with some of the former owners other cars. When the car was purchased in 09 it did have a 72 454,67 trans and the original 12 bolt but during restoration all the correct dated coded parts were found and installed. These include the block,heads, water pump, dist, alt, trans, smog pump,etc,etc,etc. I was involved with the research and final assm on this car and had the chance to talk to the original owner when he came to DM and looked at the car and the stories he told about the car were as neat as the car itself. Here's where it gets interesting... When we were doing research the friend of mine that was restoring the car made a call to a good friend of his who is a former president of Chevrolet inquiring about info on this car and he in turn contacted another guy and thats where the info on the production numbers came from, this made the 3rd guy that had told us that they had seen copies on 18 build sheets and this made 19 and the only one so far that was built at Van Nuys. I don't no where the info was sourced from or what but I do have copies of the 2 emails with all the figures. There are a couple things that Mecum has wrong on the write up but what I can tell you is this car is the real deal with a date coded correct engine and trans that had a very high dollar resto. This car has a very high reserve and I will be surprized if it sells. I know I will probably get flamed for the production number deal but I'm just passing on what I know about the car and what was found out during resto.

L784SP
11-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Just to add to the above information submitted by sparky...

The original owner from Nebraska had always liked high horse power convertibles and this was the best he could get at the time. He wanted it be a sleeper so he didn't have stripes or cowl induction. He went as far as to remove the SS emblems on the front fenders to conceal what he had.

The original motor went into the dealership for warranty work with only 269 miles on it. A couple of pistons had to be replaced I guess. It was in the later 70s when a rod through the block destroyed the original motor.