PDA

View Full Version : Mid 80's GNXs

6pakdave
02-25-2013, 01:36 AM
Ive always liked the mid 80s GNX's. Can anyone school me on the good n bad of these cars? Is there any particular year this is more collectorable or factory refined?
Ive always looked at bringing one back on my buying trips to the USA and I have been stepping up my search, but Id like to know if there any known common issues with these cars that I should keep an eye out for?
I have a budget and that wont incl super low mile $50K+ cars. What is the REAL world price for one on these cars. They are all over the shop on the internet!
I prefer cars that have atleast been driven some so they dont turn into oil leakers that req all the hard hoses and seals replaced once they are driven again! Orig and/or mildly modded OK but CLEAN with mid-low 100K mileage!

cheers Dave

Fast67VelleN2O
02-25-2013, 01:42 AM
GNX was one year only, 1987.

Fast67VelleN2O
02-25-2013, 01:55 AM
http://www.buickgnx.com/

6pakdave
02-25-2013, 06:04 AM
Sorry... mid 80s Grand Nationals. Just wanna know the issues they may have. Most cars have common issues either rust or mech ya? That mileage might look wrong? What I mean is 50Kmiles or there abouts. EG Not alot but not too low.

I'll check the website Fast67

cheers

Fast67VelleN2O
02-25-2013, 03:53 PM
The best years are the 1986-1987 since they are intercooled and most GN people would rather have them. 1985 and earlier GN's are referred to as "hot air" cars and command less money.

firstgenaddict
02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Good GN's can be had for well under 30k.

Craig_Maiorana
02-25-2013, 10:01 PM
don't just feel like you have to be stuck with getting a GN ... in reality the T-type and the T limited is the same car as the GN just with different color options. the only car that is different from them is the GNX that was a GN that ASC Mc Claren upgraded but otherwise as long as the car is an 86-87 turbo buick there is plenty of value,drivabilituy and enjoyment to be had in them

Craig_Maiorana
02-25-2013, 10:33 PM
some of the turbo T's even had plush bench seats with a column shifter ... the granny disguise

6pakdave
02-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Im reading up on the different options and models. The GNX is out of my price range. So a GN or maybe the Regal with the turbo option . The 86-87 sounds like the model years to buy.
I like the black w/spoilers,grey trim and chrome wheels look. Diddnt know about the 'lightweights'.The McClaren GNXs sure had interesting rear axle packages!
Now all I gotta do is find one.Beter for me in the SoCaL area but I guess I could travel [ drive] to Vegas,SanFran and possibly AZ areas in my search. I have a budget in the mid-low 20Ks , seems to be the asking prices for nicer cars.

cheers Dave

Craig_Maiorana
02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
yeah dave the average on any of the turbo buicks should be 12-22... GNX's go for anywhere between 75-125 thousand ... the good thing about stepping outside of the GN box is there are sooooo many other styles to look at .. tons of other colors

PxTx
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Although the Turbo T-types and Trans Ams are cool, I think the real Grand Nationals will be the safest bet from an investment perspective.

markinnaples
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes, just to add to the conversation; the 1989 Trans Am Turbo was offered with the '87 Grand National drivetrain.

I believe they were all white with gold trim, and they can be had for reasonable money.

I've always liked those and they're a little different than the regular Grand Nationals.

Craig_Maiorana
02-26-2013, 08:59 PM
not only that but on the trans am they had to put a different head on that engine to get it in between the shock towers .... they were 12 second cars right out of the box... and yes white with gold and white badging and tan interiors

PxTx
02-26-2013, 09:22 PM
The GN had an 8.5" ring gear in the rear. If those TA's were 12 second cars out of tge box the wimpy 7.5 rears tgey had under them are probably no longer original in mosy of them. How fast were the GN, high 13 at best I thought.

markinnaples
02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
More on the Turbo T/A's:

http://89tta.turbobuicks.net/

Billohio
02-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Grand nationals didn't have the best paint, so check that out. Alot of mods available so decide if you want stock or hopped up. I had one that i was the second owner and it was around 30k miles. I traded it and next guy blew it up. Some were abused (not by me) lol

Craig_Maiorana
02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
haha you guys are hysterical ... (im being serious / not poking fun) .... mark you may be right about the ring gear in the t/a ... I have seen plenty of abused turbo t/a's too .. we had one at or old shop that had 100,000 miles on it and still had the factory oil filter and 3 original plugs but i also watched my bosses son run it down the garden state parkway at 140 mph.. a little maintenence goes a long way with that 3,8 liter .... the typhoon and the syclone are a good buy as well .. you can find them for almost the same money as a turbo regal or t/a

6pakdave
02-27-2013, 01:30 AM
I think I'll be looking at the GN model. As Paul said, better investment ,even though I know of only a handfull here in OZ anyway.I have never seen one up close in OZ, and am yet to drive one. Im a big guy,6.3 and 150kgs! So I hope they can accomodate the 'larger' guys! lol.
I will have to wait a little to licence the car, they have to be 25yrs or older in my State for LHD registration. I will not have to convert the steering to RHD. Although I do have a dealers licence plate so I can drive the car on occasions until the 25th anniversery comes.The plus is that a pre-1989 import is less hassle and paperwork to import into the country. Later vehicles req Gov't recognised pre-approval for compulsory RHD steering conversions.[ And that can cost,EG: A brand new GMC truck will cost around AU$40K to convert to RHD!!] Being a pre 89 vehicle I can avoid the RHD conversion.
The Buick V6 engines were fitted in our Aust Commodores from 88-current models!.No turbo, GMH instead decided to have a supercharger option on some models. GMH have refined the 3.8 engine over the years and it is currently the GMH main staple engine, it is a very good performing , quiet engine. Anyways, the bonus is that the mech parts are avail and aussie mechanics are familiar with the engine and tuning.

cheers Dave

old5.0
02-27-2013, 06:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GN had an 8.5&quot; ring gear in the rear. If those TA's were 12 second cars out of tge box the wimpy 7.5 rears tgey had under them are probably no longer original in mosy of them. How fast were the GN, high 13 at best I thought. </div></div>

Stock cold air GN should go 13.70s. Knock off half a second for GNX/TTA. In ideal conditions with the right driver... yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see a Trans Am crack 12.99.

Craig_Maiorana
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
you should have no issue fitting in the GN as a big guy ... with the bucket seats they are very forgiving. I'm 6 foot 2 and i fit in my T-Type. Thats kind of what drew me to that car. I hate feeling cramped in cars. Yes GM used that motor for quite a long time through all of its international divisions obviously. The early 2000's regal all had them with superchargers for the special edition regals.

CDNL-78
02-28-2013, 02:23 AM
An issued area on a G-body frame is right behind the back tires. That would be the first place I would look if I was in the market for such a car, Malibu, 442, Hurst/olds, GN etc..... Good luck, awesome looking cars.

SmallHurst
02-28-2013, 03:13 AM
The Eagle GT for the G body is also available now in reproduction. Contact me if you want info.

SmallHurst
03-07-2013, 01:19 AM
In my travels today, I visited this one gentlemens shop and he said, 'you want to see Dad's Buick?' Went back in the shop and I was staring at a 4100 mile '87 GNX! I kept my distance as I did not want to get drool all over it. Very nice piece!

firstgenaddict
03-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Saw an original owner 86 GN today... needed a total resto and of course it's not for sale.

6pakdave
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Well I booked my next buying trip to CA today. 14hr flight here I come! SoCal in May for the Spring Fling and Edel show amongst others. Keeping an eye out for a nice musclecars and maybe a nice SoCal 86-87 GN.
Hey Rusty tell that guy I'll buy the GNX and double its mileage driving it to CA!

cheers Dave

Craig_Maiorana
03-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Hey Dave ... Just figured i'd give you a heads up ... there is currently 4 GNX's on hemmings.com all low milage the lowest being 9 miles and the most beign 7,000 ranging from $65,000 to just over 100 K

RichSchmidt
03-09-2013, 01:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GN had an 8.5&quot; ring gear in the rear. If those TA's were 12 second cars out of tge box the wimpy 7.5 rears tgey had under them are probably no longer original in mosy of them. How fast were the GN, high 13 at best I thought. </div></div>

Actually,the Pace cars as well as most GTA's and other 5.7L F cars got the Aussie B/W 9 bolt. Most got 3.27:1 gears,but the Pace car T/A got 3.54's. I swapped one of them into an old 82 Camaro street racer I built years ago. I ran a mild 400 small block on a 125 shot and it would yank the tires high and dry on 10&quot; wide bias ply street tires,and really hit hard when I put the slicks on it. I eventually blew up the 400 small block from running a 225 shot on a stock bottom end,and when I looked under the car while working on it I saw the rear control arm mount pushed up into the back seat footwell(no frame connectors) but guess what didn't blow up? The beat to crap 3.27 geared 9 bolt. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

6pakdave
03-09-2013, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the heads-up S-J, but a GNX is kinda outta my budget at the moment, so I guess the next best thing is a nicer 86-7 GN. Hey SJ, You are with Classic Ind? Im looking to buy a 'hinged' Stinger hood for my 72 Nova in CA, you guys carry them in stock or are they a ship only when order item?

Rich , those B/W diffs are still in use here in OZ. Plentyful and reasonably stout. Alot of guys run them here in lighter cars with upgrades,they use less drive HP than a 9&quot;

cheers Dave

dl7265
03-10-2013, 05:06 AM
I would caution you on any super low miles GN/GNX.Or have someone perform an inspection that knows what to look at. I'd rather buy a honest well kept 50k mile car.

DL

6pakdave
03-10-2013, 01:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dl7265</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would caution you on any super low miles GN/GNX.Or have someone perform an inspection that knows what to look at. I'd rather buy a honest well kept 50k mile car.

DL </div></div>

Thats my thinking. Id prefer a driver with service history than a parked up queen with orig hoses and hard seals from sitting etc.
There has been a couple of nice GNs on TurboBuick.com but too far away for me. I'll be in SoCal for only 3 weeks to buy 4-6 cars so time will tell.

cheers.

Craig_Maiorana
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
100% agreed

Craig_Maiorana
03-11-2013, 08:22 PM
in the meantime i will keep my eyes peeled for a nice 86-87 GN and keep you posted