PDA

View Full Version : James Kryta’s 1970 442 W-30 4spd Convertible

HO455
03-06-2013, 07:29 AM
James Kryta’s 1970 442 W-30 4spd convertible is nearing completion. It is looking very nice with a cool color combination along with the white interior. I am looking forward to seeing what he does with the four-valve Oldsmobile hemi engine in the future. I have to admit their restorations are the finest-I have seen to date! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif

http://wingsautoart.com/projects/70olds442/

Postsedan
03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Very nice! These guys seem to do very good quality resto. Looking forward to seeing this 442 in person.

Dan

olredalert
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
----The resto looks awesome. Im in and out of Inline Tube about every other day it seems. Good guys!
----I do have a question that Id love to have answered, and Ill defer to you guys that know a bit more than me. Are the lower front A-frames supposed to be unpainted on the bottom? Not saying it isnt correct at all, just dont understand why GM would do things this way. I always understood that the A-frames were all black.......Bill S

The Dude
03-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Technically this car really isnt factory restored. Olds and every other GM make had a blackout station where everything on the frame was drizzled with black paint. A arms, brake lines, fuel line, sway bars, steering linkage and pretty much anything else close got hit. Real sloppy job. The before picture of the front underside shows the blackout.

http://wingsautoart.com/projects/70olds442/4.JPG

Yes it is awesome and very well executed, but its above and beyond anything GM ever made.

He does need to change the reproduction window sticker thats on it. The sticker he has is done in the 1971 style, not 1970.

67 442
03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Where does one purchase or obtain a Olds Hemi engine nowadays?

RPOLS3
03-06-2013, 09:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----The resto looks awesome. Im in and out of Inline Tube about every other day it seems. Good guys!
----I do have a question that Id love to have answered, and Ill defer to you guys that know a bit more than me. Are the lower front A-frames supposed to be unpainted on the bottom? Not saying it isnt correct at all, just dont understand why GM would do things this way. I always understood that the A-frames were all black.......Bill S </div></div>

I see what you are saying Bill - but is that a weird reflection of the black paint maybe? Also looks like they stopped the paint on the uppers near the control arm bushings. I always thought it was the opposite, they stopped the paint (dipped rather than sprayed?) short of the ball joints......??

Jake

The Dude
03-06-2013, 10:31 PM
No reflection. Painted exactly the way it looks.

A arms for this year were not dipped, they were bare metal then blacked out when the frame was completely built up.

Im sure this car will win best restored at every show it enters. But is it really? I dont like where we are headed because even though this car is very nice its no where near how these cars actually were built. And now its the level one has to get to in order to win at the top shows. A new standard based on something that never existed.

olredalert
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
----I know what you mean, Dude! I guess Ill keep doing what little resto I am doing anymore the way I want. If Im judged at any point Ill take the hit, and Ill know that I did what I did my way. Im not in to winning shows so much as pleasing myself.....Bill S

Canuck
03-07-2013, 09:22 PM
The quality of this resoration is great. The shop Wings Auto Art, has done an outstanding job on this one. It appears as though they started with a good candidate with little or no rust on an original car with all the correct pieces in place. It also helps when the client is in the manufacturing business of making a lot of parts that make for a quality restoration. Its always a brave move to restore a car in a less desireable color. I wonder why they opted to change interior colors!!!!

One thing I will criticise is the over use of engine compartment garafetti. just because they have seen one car with an &quot;X&quot; on the valve cover does not mean thaqt every 455 got that same marking. The one thing we know about the 70's assembly line was the inconsistancies. I also agree with the comments on the chassis black, looks too selective for what I have seen on parts on other original cars.

HO455
03-15-2013, 11:51 PM
A nice video walk around of the same car. I really like this color. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR79DZYOMiI

DW31S
03-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Wow!!! I am not only impressed by the car itself, but also the time frame in which the shop has the job completed. The Krytas have some neat stuff and I can only wonder their next project will be.

stevengerard
04-03-2013, 03:18 AM
wow great restoration and I love the color combo. What a great car.

I do agree with the over restoration but hey some folks really enjoy that part of it and this being their business they best go overboard rather than come up short - can you imagine what they would hear if they cut corners. Its great so many of these parts are now available but some are listed for 70 - 72 and they are not right for 70 or 71/72. And very few cars even today come out as perfect as those.

Also I notice how with the W30 package the D35 sport mirrors and the PK5 tires are part of the W30 package but on original order forms they are priced out separately. Anyone know if its that way on original window stickers. I would think they would be line item-ed out on the window sticker too. In other words instead of the W30 package listed as 369.68 its 321.23 plus the price of D35 + PK5

Tracker1
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
was this car in Muscle Car Review this month? featured in a paint article there?

442w30
04-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I think it's the same car.

The Dude
04-04-2013, 12:03 AM
The mirrors are tires were mandatory options. On an original 1970 W30 the first option listed, always, reads... W30 W-MACHINE PACKAGE. Thats it.

The sticker on the car has things that never appeared on an original sticker.

Stefano
04-07-2013, 01:26 AM
So are you saying that the window sticker on this car is not authentic?

The Dude
04-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Inline sticker.

http://wingsautoart.com/projects/70olds442/125.jpg

Real sticker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/jjram69/other/70-w30-4_zpsfed1e370.jpg

442w30
04-08-2013, 04:24 PM
That car is loaded!