PDA

View Full Version : One for the Grand Prix guys...

grantprix
04-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Here's my latest GP... a '69 Model J, 428 (370 HP), 4-speed, Midnight Green over Parchment/Black interior. An original CA car out of the San Mateo area, still has its original CA plates with it. The original owners moved to Alabama in the late '80s, the car then went to MI in 2003 after they sold it. Its now back home to CA where it belongs!

Grant

Charley Lillard
04-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Sweet. Can you use those plates ?

grantprix
04-21-2013, 01:29 AM
Well, my first attempt to reassign them with evidence submitted that they were original to the car failed for some reason? I'm going back to the DMV on Tuesday to try again. If it doesn't get approved this time, I can go through the YOM program and try it that way. Not sure why they didn't approve it the first time around, I supplied a copy of the original 1969 registration card showing these plates to the car and the plates were clear, not on the DMV database. Always fun at the DMV!

jbsides
04-21-2013, 01:33 AM
I had the same car in maroon, what a sled! Liked it so much, I still have a Grand Prix to this day.

Without knowing what the original month of registration was, not sure why that plate would have a "68" sticker on it, unless it were for the CA YOM program. The only "X" plates for a '69 I have seen were really early builds, August and September. My September built VN car from Gledhill was XJZ. With the YOM program, I think you can now put any black and yellow '63 style plates on by filling out a form and attaching a sticker with the first year of the vehicle's original registration.

jbsides
04-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Grant, our posts crossed digitally. The car was probably off the grid for too long when it was out of state, and fell out of the DMV system. They may want you to backfill all the non-operation fees if you go that route, if so, it may be a lot cheaper to go YOM and use the same tags if they declare them clear.

grantprix
04-21-2013, 01:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing about the '68 sticker, but it was on there from new underneath all of the others. The date of delivery or sold date was 10/31/68, the car was shipped from Pontiac on 10/17/68. I was trying to avoid the YOM program and fees involved, but will go that way if need be.

grantprix
04-21-2013, 01:53 AM
I've been able to this before with a '69 GTO that I sold and went out of state for several years. I did my homework prior to my first visit to the DMV to transfer/register this car and went by these guidelines per this DMV memo...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_memos/vin2009/09vin20.pdf

olredalert
04-21-2013, 02:29 PM
----Grant,,,You made my day! Good looking GP. I can just guess who the Michigan owner was, although I dont remember him owning this one......Bill S

grantprix
04-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Bill. You got it, another one of Andy's GP's that he bought in Nov of 2009. It belonged to another one of our GP buddies prior to that who purchased from the original owners in 2003.

mockingbird812
04-21-2013, 05:15 PM
<span style="font-size: 17pt">Very nice Grant! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif what a drive train! How does she go?</span>

markinnaples
04-23-2013, 11:02 PM
That is just sweet. I bet it drives like a dream.

Any pics of the interior? Would love to see the four speed set up in that.

grantprix
04-24-2013, 01:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Very nice Grant! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif what a drive train! How does she go?</span> </div></div>

Thanks, Sam! She runs pretty strong for a 4000 pound car. I've had several of these cars over the years with the 428 and they all ran good.

grantprix
04-24-2013, 01:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is just sweet. I bet it drives like a dream.

Any pics of the interior? Would love to see the four speed set up in that. </div></div>

Thanks. Its fun to drive with the 4-speed. I haven't taken any interior shots myself, but here's a few that the previous owner sent to me before.

markinnaples
04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Looks great.

dmgpman
04-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Love the car and color combination.

In high school, a close friends mom let him borrow her '69 GP 400 automatic that was green exterior with tan interior. I never believed him when he said how quick it was being perfectly stock and we dusted a few Camaro's and Mustang's with it.

One night on a rainy road, he lost the rear end at a sharp curve and plowed into some boulders/rocks at the edge of the road surface. His mom was pissed and she traded the car in as it was about 10 years old.

Inspired my purchase of 1971 GP Model J 400 auto that I still have.

Postsedan
05-01-2013, 03:07 PM
This is one great Poncho!

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/Can-I-Have-It.gif

Dan

grantprix
05-04-2013, 04:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmgpman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Love the car and color combination.

In high school, a close friends mom let him borrow her '69 GP 400 automatic that was green exterior with tan interior. I never believed him when he said how quick it was being perfectly stock and we dusted a few Camaro's and Mustang's with it.

One night on a rainy road, he lost the rear end at a sharp curve and plowed into some boulders/rocks at the edge of the road surface. His mom was pissed and she traded the car in as it was about 10 years old.

Inspired my purchase of 1971 GP Model J 400 auto that I still have. </div></div>

Yep, I surprised a few guys myself with my first '70 GP in high school. There was a group of about five or six of us with '69 to '71 GP's and we all parked together in the school lot every day.

That's funny, I did the exact same thing with my first '70 GP... going through an &quot;S&quot; curve one morning on the way to a swap meet I lost the rear and backed it in to a telephone pole at about 35 mph... totaled the car.

That's cool that you still have your '71! Id like to hear more about it sometime.

grantprix
05-04-2013, 05:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is one great Poncho!

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/Can-I-Have-It.gif

Dan </div></div>

Thanks, Dan!

grantprix
08-11-2013, 10:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet. Can you use those plates ? </div></div>

Third time's a charm... I finally got the approval to use the original plates. I basically spelled out the DMV's own procedures on the statement of facts this last time around to get it done. Just waiting on my new tags now.