PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Impala on ebay

GaryC
06-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Hey guys. Been looking at this 69 Impala that Bill Pritchard sent me a link to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Chev...=item3a81e0b753 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Chevrolet-Impala-Base-Hardtop-2-Door-5-7L-/251287091027?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a81e0b753 )

I like it but could use some advice. I noticed there is no smog on it, so I'm assuming none came on this model correct? In 1983 I had a 350/300 Caprice and in 1988 a 327 Impala/Biscayne (it was really plain looking) which had no smog on it. When my dad had his new 69 350 Impala, I wasn't knowledgible enough to know what smog setups were so I didn't notice.

How is the asking price? Worth the $7500.00 buy it now? Should there be anything I need to ask the seller? Anything I need to be aware of? Anything you can tell me will help a lot in my decision.

Thanks

Bill Pritchard
06-11-2013, 12:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GaryC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed there is no smog on it, so I'm assuming none came on this model correct?</div></div>

Absolutely correct. My wife's old 69 convertible had the same powertrain combo (327/PG) and it had no smog. (EDIT: I see the ad says it's a 350, not a 327, but I'm sure even if it is a 350, it would have no smog.)

IMO, the price might be a bit high as 69 Impalas are not terribly popular....$6K would be more in line. On the other hand, finding a 44 yr old car that's essentially unmolested and with a completely known ownership history is worth an awful lot. That's pretty much what you've been looking for and it's not terribly far from your home, so I guess only you can answer if it's worth the BIN price. Good luck.

GaryC
06-11-2013, 01:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Pritchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GaryC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed there is no smog on it, so I'm assuming none came on this model correct?</div></div>

Absolutely correct. My wife's old 69 convertible had the same powertrain combo (327/PG) and it had no smog.

IMO, the price might be a bit high as 69 Impalas are not terribly popular....$6K would be more in line. On the other hand, finding a 44 yr old car that's essentially unmolested and with a completely known ownership history is worth an awful lot. That's pretty much what you've been looking for and it's not terribly far from your home, so I guess only you can answer if it's worth the BIN price. Good luck. </div></div>

Yeah. Like I was saying in my last PM Bill I emailed seller and offered $6500.00 and I can do it ASAP if he will go for it. I haven't said anything to my dad yet but my wife loves it. We dated in a Gold 69 Caprice 350/300hp I had in 1983 but it was a 4 door. Only 2 doors for me and pop, he had a new Fathom green 350 in 69. My wifes pop pop had a plain Jane 69 Impala/Belair/Biscayne(not sure which) with a 327 in it we owned for about a year, it was a 4 door as well. Glacier blue with the white painted top option. Really unusual car, I can't remember much about it. He had put dents in every panel, including all the doors from going in and out of his garage. I think the roof, hood, trunk lid and bumper areas front and rear never had any damage. This car even had the motor mount bracket cable set up on the driver side from the bad mount. I do remember that.

Well... I can only hope to get it.

x77-69z28
06-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Gary, in 69 automatic transmission cars didn't get smog( except for the land of fruits and nuts California). Good luck with the purchase

GaryC
06-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Thanks X77. I thought I had read that somewhere but I thought it was on other autos besides the Camaros.

Hey guys, what exterior color does that ebay Impala look like? I'm thinking Azure Turquoise with medium blue cloth interior. May be even Lemans blue? Nah, I don't really think so.

Bill Pritchard
06-11-2013, 09:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GaryC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking Azure Turquoise with medium blue cloth interior. </div></div>

That would be my guess too. Ask the seller to email you a pic of the Trim Tag.

GaryC
06-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Hey guys, I bought it. WoooHooo!!! Now I have to get it home. Car is close enough to me to go get it. It's out of state so I'm sure I'll need insurance and temp plates or I could go the rollback way. I have a friend that has one and would only charge me for fuel or something like that. What have you guys done? Could use any advice.

I want to give Bill Pritchard a shout out for the tip. Thanks Bill. I have a new addition to the household.

Xplantdad
06-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Bill is a great guy! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Congrats on the purchase...

slammed1
06-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Awesome news,great car,please post lots of pics when you get the car home safetly.69 Impalas are growing on me the last few years,and I like the Belairs and Biscaynes alot too.

GaryC
06-13-2013, 02:58 AM
Here's all I have so far. Who is the 69 Impala guru here anyhow? Been trying to locate some specifics on these cars. It's not like the info provided for Camaros.

Trim Tag decode, what was the production run dates on the Impala, from when to when? Mine is 10B and has the later trim tag, so I'm assuming it's a late production, but how late did production run? Still in Virginia <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

It comes with all the documents the old lady that bought it originally including the POP. With that I should be able to confirm all the good stuff. 46,369 original miles. I was told the lady is in her 90's now and can't drive anymore. She literally drove it to the grocery store and that's it. New stuff on it, exhaust, radiator and looks like hoses, alternator, I wonder if original is with the car, have to ask, something about power steering too, not sure what that might be.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5183-69impala1a.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5184-69impala1b.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5185-69impala1c.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5186-69impala1d.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5187-69impala1e.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5188-69impala1g.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5189-69impala1h.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5190-img954993.jpg

Jonesy
06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Trim tag confirms its Azure Turquoise with Black top.

69VN
06-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Gary, have someone videotape you pulling a &quot;holeshot&quot; up your street. Then post it. Nothing wrong with opening up the engine a bit---probably been sitting a while! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Bill Pritchard
06-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Gary,

Regardless of what Colvin's book might say about 'early' or 'late' Trim Tags, that car was produced in October 68. Our old 69 Impala convertible had the exact same style of Trim Tag and it was built (in St. Louis) the third week of October 68 (10C). I know that because I got a copy of the original title to the car and it was sold to the original owner in Chicago in November of 68.

I wouldn't claim to know everything about 69 Impalas, but I do know a bit since we owned that car for 18 years and I spent 3 of those years doing a frame-off, nut-and-bolt restoration on the car. So if you have questions, fire away <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

GaryC
06-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Thanks Bill. I'm sure I will have questions when I get it home. Just going by that one engine pic I have it's mostly likely an LM1 engine. I found out today there are 2 differences between the LM1 and the L48 engines. One was the heads (LM1 had #441 with 76CC chambers and the L48 had #041 heads with 64CC chambers) and the other was the distributor calibration. Both had identical short blocks and both can come with 2 or 4 bolt mains. I know on the Camaro there was a trim tag change but wasn't or am not aware if any of the other Chevy models had the change. That's why I was asking. I just saw the later style tag and just assumed. Haven't really found out any factual stuff on the Impala yet. Googled last night for a while and found a few sites but no one site has all the info in one stop shopping so to speak. Bits of info here and there and go to the next and find bits there. That's OK though. I'm sure I'll find everything I want to know. Inquiring minds want to know as they say.

Are there <span style="font-weight: bold">ANY</span> good books that are recommended? I haven't seen a one.

GaryC
06-14-2013, 01:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69VN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gary, have someone videotape you pulling a &quot;holeshot&quot; up your street. Then post it. Nothing wrong with opening up the engine a bit---probably been sitting a while! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif </div></div>

I was thinking about that. Something we used to do back in 1970 was power braking if you had an automatic. When I did that with my dads 69 Impala that is when I found out about the bad motor mounts. Car took off on me and it was a be-otch to stop. Lucky for me I was in big parking lot. I noticed in the engine pic this car has the retaining cables on both driver and passenger sides. I have a spare set of locking mounts I keep for my Z and might just use them and store the originals away.

GaryC
06-14-2013, 02:56 AM
The dash pic I have indicates it's a powerglide trans. Those are OK aren't they? Rear gears? Want to take a guess? LM1 with powerglide trans 3 ratios I could find 2.73, 3.08, or 3.36. I'm gonna pic 2.73. Might be a decent mileage car.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5196-69impala1f.jpg

slammed1
06-14-2013, 03:03 AM
Swapping in a th350 is very easy and makes the car feel like you gained 75hp. The heads from the 300hp will have unique casting marks but pulling a cover will show real quick what you have. Nothing real special about the 300hp engines,most had 2 bolt mains and flat top pistons. They are decent though when built fairly mild.

I dig the car alot,I would change the wheels/tires,throw in a th350 or 4 speed auto,swap to decent gears,repair the seats and drive the hell out of it. Nice project.

Bill Pritchard
06-14-2013, 03:27 AM
The Powerglide is pretty bulletproof. We had that in our 69 and never had a lick of trouble with it. My guess is that the rear gear is a 3.08. If it had been a Turbo 350, it would probably have the 2.73. I also bet that it's a 2 barrel 350, not the LM1 or L48....I think the LM1 and L48 would have the canister type AC fuel filter mounted vertically right at the front center of the engine.

GaryC
06-14-2013, 04:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Pritchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Powerglide is pretty bulletproof. We had that in our 69 and never had a lick of trouble with it. My guess is that the rear gear is a 3.08. If it had been a Turbo 350, it would probably have the 2.73. I also bet that it's a 2 barrel 350, not the LM1 or L48....I think the LM1 and L48 would have the canister type AC fuel filter mounted vertically right at the front center of the engine. </div></div>

The first question I asked the guy was whether the car had a 4 bbl or 2 bbl and he said 4bbl. I'll see if he can get a pic for me with the breather off. I'd be happy with the power glide and 3.08's. If it's a 2bbl than we're looking at what 250 HP or something like that? I can live with that too.

GaryC
06-18-2013, 04:25 AM
Bill Pritchard asked me to post the window sticker from the Impala I bought. He thinks it looks suspicious. I don't know myself. I've never been close enough to one to know the difference. The guy in Virginia still has everything.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2013/06/full-13756-5255-img957821.jpg

TAR6569
06-19-2013, 04:04 AM
It's original Bill. Some were typed for various reasons. It
s not a repro.

Bill Pritchard
06-19-2013, 11:44 PM
That's great news, Warren....thanks for checking it out for Gary.