PDA

View Full Version : Help - 1970 Barracuda

NickZ
12-17-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm interested in a basketcase 70 Barracuda thats for sale. Its a friend of a friend situation. He disassembled it years back and doesn't have the energy/drive to continue its restoration. Its a light yellow Barracuda, 340 with auto. He said the metal is in great shape, but trunk pan will need to be replaced.

Assuming he's got all parts and only needs a little metal work, any thoughts on the value of it? I've looked through Hemmings/Mecum/eBay to try and get an idea, couldn't find an example of a 340 Barracuda. If its completely dismantled, I'm thinking in the $5-7k range?

What other things should I pay attention to? I'm well versed in Camaro's, don't know much about Mopars.

I'd like to get an idea on price, in case he wants to move quickly. My intent is to make it a driver for my wife.

Thanks for your input.

Nick

Tracker1
12-17-2013, 10:14 PM
is the fender tag still there? is there a Broadcast Sheet? what is the EXACT yellow colour, that's a big deal in Moparland....it all makes a difference to value...

NickZ
12-18-2013, 01:42 AM
OK, I'll take a photo of the fender tag and see if there is any paperwork. I'm just worried I'd have to make an offer on the fly.

If I get a chance, I'll take a pic and post.

Tracker1
12-18-2013, 11:09 AM
On the surface of the situation, I'd say you are 'spot on' in your estimate of 5-7K for a disassembled 340 automatic car.

442w30
12-19-2013, 04:40 AM
I'm guessing it's a DY3 car, which is rare but not desirable.

You have to go into these cars prepared or you're going to be in over your head. A 340 is great but not in your favor. They are no so rare that you can't find a better value in better condition.

Yay or nay, Mopar guys?

Musclecars4me
12-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Real 340 70 Cudas and Challengers are one of the best driving and handling E-bodies. The lighter front end with decent HP and quick reving small block are gaining in popularity, especially over a 383 edition. If this car also has power disc brakes and power steering it would be an excellent driver.
Trunk pans are one of the first things to go on these cars due to poor sealing around the trunk area and the trunk mat that held moisture against the floor and rotted them out.
Fender tag codes are not real critical on these cars unless it is a J-code AAR. If it is a beige car and that isn't to your taste paint it a color you prefer or one that the market will prefer.
These cars are a lot like a 69 Camaro in that there is always a market and run of the mill cars can command $30,000 if well done.
Check the VIN if it starts BS23H it is a Cuda and would have some heavy duty items such as suspension, and some trim items like a sport hood, stripe, fog lights, trunk panel trim.
If the VIN starts BH23H than it is a base Barracuda with a 340 engine option. Much lower production than a Cuda but not quite as desirable today as the original car could be a hodge podge of options whoever ordered it may have chosen.

If it just needs a pan and can be bought for your estimate it would be a buy. Good shells bring that amount all day long. This is not to say you won't be over your head to finish it as you could be if you have to farm out all the work. At least you will know what is under the new paint, and that is critical when dealing with these unibody cars.

Good luck.

442w30
12-21-2013, 03:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musclecars4me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the VIN starts BH23H than it is a base Barracuda with a 340 engine option. </div></div>

The 340 was not used on the base Barracuda but two have been discovered in Europe. V8 Choices for the Barracuda were the 318 and two 383s.

NickZ
12-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Probably not the stock engine then...

I'm still working on viewing the car. I think he has cold feet now.

Thanks for all of your input, I appreciate it. Is there a website for anything and everything Plymouth? Like CRG is for Camaro's?

Nick

Billohio
12-21-2013, 10:50 PM
there is moparts.com and forebodiesonly.com that might be more indepth

Musclecars4me
01-01-2014, 06:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musclecars4me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the VIN starts BH23H than it is a base Barracuda with a 340 engine option. </div></div>

The 340 was not used on the base Barracuda but two have been discovered in Europe. V8 Choices for the Barracuda were the 318 and two 383s. </div></div>

I stand corrected, the Barracuda with an H-code are a rare fish. My confusion with the 70 340 Challenger which was a JH car as the 340 was not an engine option for the Challenger RTs that year.

At any rate if you post the VIN we can decode the car's factory equipped engine, at least for that tag.

black69
01-05-2014, 09:32 PM
my 2 cents is 5-7k is way way too low, and if you suggested that to the guy, he will not sell it to you (which is my guess is just what happened?). No wonder he got cold feet. If he started to restore it, he may be familiar with what parts are worth on the car, etc. The grill itself is expensive. the front fenders are expensive. long short is the sum of the parts alone are over 5-7k all day long, if all it needs is a trunk floor. What if it has a rim blow steering wheel? that is a fortune just by itself. The car could also be a shaker car, so there is another case of the value of the parts could blow past 5-7k easily. It could also have a dana rear end (I have seen more than a few dana 340s). Lots of wild card options possible on the car.

I would have said ~12-15K for a BS coded (cuda) 340 and work up or down from there.
Offer less on a BH 340.

Good luck finding another...as you may find out.

NickZ
01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Good to know, thanks.

We haven't spoke about numbers yet, but agree that I don't want to scare him away with a low ball. At this point I'm still trying to get in front of the car, see what it really is.

I'll be sure to pass along the details as I get them.

Tracker1
01-16-2014, 12:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 2 cents is 5-7k is way way too low, and if you suggested that to the guy, he will not sell it to you (which is my guess is just what happened?). No wonder he got cold feet. If he started to restore it, he may be familiar with what parts are worth on the car, etc. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">The grill itself is expensive. the front fenders are expens</span>ive</span>. long short is the sum of the parts alone are over 5-7k all day long, if all it needs is a trunk floor. What if it has a rim blow steering wheel? that is a fortune just by itself. The car could also be a shaker car, so there is another case of the value of the parts could blow past 5-7k easily. It could also have a dana rear end (I have seen more than a few dana 340s). Lots of wild card options possible on the car.

I would have said ~12-15K for a BS coded (cuda) 340 and work up or down from there.
Offer less on a BH 340.

Good luck finding another...as you may find out.

</div></div>

You did see that he said '70 right , not a '71.
And I'm gonna let the 'Dana 340&quot; reference go <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

black69
01-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Tracker, If you can show me where someone can find an eBody for $5-7K, post it here.
They dont exist. If that car is a BH, it should be more like $10K. If its a BS cuda, its more than that.
I was wrong on the dana, but I do know you cant find ebodies in that 5-7K range either.