PDA

View Full Version : 67L78 Richard Kuhn's white coupe

rare4k
02-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Bought my first car when i was 15, a 67 camaro 350c.i. 4 speed a 4P car. Built up the engine, street raced it, cruised in it, lived in it for years. In about 77 or 78 sold it. Flash ahead to 1995, had always stayed into drag racing and digging muscle cars. Decided to get me another 67 camaro and knew it had to be a big block because i put my brothers 402 c.i. in my first car and it was a bad machine.
Started searching Hemmings and dealers and in the june 95 issue of hemmings i spotted my white coupe. It was advertised as an original engine 396c.i. 375h.p. car with 23k miles, no rust, solid car but not complete and road worthy.
Called Mike S. and started talking back and forth for several days. He would mail me some pictures and give me a list of component numbers to look at. All this time i had found a couple more 4K cars but soon found out they did not have near the original stuff as Mike's car had. Mike was a great guy to deal with, everything he told was just like he said it was when i flew out to Philly,PA. to check it out.August 10th 1995 the deal was made and a truck from Ky. came to Mike's house to take it to its new home in Ky.. For years i have tried to search back its owner history and get stuck with an owner from Conoshokin, PA named Clyde Ranck that ran Conners Auto Parts (still in business but different owners) and he says he can't remember who he bought it from. NICB report shows it was shipped to Jackshaw Chevrolet in Euclid, Oh.. I think it spent most of its life in the Philly,PA. area because thats where all the other owners are from.
Its vin # is on one of the Yenko converted supercar list but that doesn't mean much without the paperwork to proof it which i don't have. I feel along with other engine guys much more experienced than i that it is the real deal and not a restamp block. Maybe some day i'll get back to the guy that bought it new and find out its real history. For now its a keeper because its such a solid tight car with lots of original parts still on it and it would be hard to find another one like it.
They can say what they want to about the 69 COPO cars but i feel our 4K cars are harder to come by and the 67 cars were the first and the best built cars of all the first gens. THATS MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT.

ICL,
Richard

rare4k
02-23-2014, 09:10 PM
http://l78camaro.lefora.com/attach/view/ma/3ca2e1f99861e220c3f76baac75e1e2e73e70115.jpg

67L78Camaro
02-23-2015, 11:59 PM
Beautiful car! Great story!

-Rick
--
'67 SS/RS LOS L78 Butternut Yellow 37K Miles, Herb Hallman Chev, Reno NV
'69 Z/28 LeMans Blue 69K Miles, 2nd Owner, Frank Chev, Portland, OR
'69 Nova SS L78 4sp Frost Green 60K Miles, Fanning Chev, Gresham, OR

cook_dw
02-24-2015, 12:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rare4k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They can say what they want to about the 69 COPO cars but i feel our 4K cars are harder to come by and the 67 cars were the first and the best built cars of all the first gens. THATS MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT.

ICL,
Richard
</div></div>

I agree 100% except..... 68 was the best year for the 1st gens.. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Seriously though. Beautiful car.. Want to see more detailed photos!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

67L78Camaro
02-24-2015, 03:52 AM
Vent windows rule.
Side marker lights don't.

My $.02.

-Rick

Steve Shauger
02-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Hi Richard, thats a great car. I've known Mike for years and in fact almost bought that fine car from him. Couldn't have gone to a better caretaker.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Nice car for sure, <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif The VIN is on the Yenko list??

PeteLeathersac
02-24-2015, 03:08 PM
VIN - 124377N230691
Regardless of how/why it ended up the on the '67 Yenko list, I L<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gifVE this car!
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

L78M22Rag
02-24-2015, 03:12 PM
Ditto that Pete!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Yes, very nice car - I don't see it on the '67 Yenko listing on the site though, either way - it's worth checking into!

1967 4K
02-25-2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks all. I recently got some info about it being on the vin list. Maybe some people would not share this but its the truth and just the way it is. I have been told that its vin came from the Ed C. list so I contacted him via email and asked if he had any info on it. A while later he replied that he had no info in his data base on the car and even went through his old paper files but could not find any info. They're may be others with info but I don't know who to contact.
Oh well its a good solid car and I enjoy driving it and having fun with it. My next project on it is operation Hooker headers maybe this year or next.

ICL,
Richard

luzl78
02-25-2015, 02:02 AM
Robert, I have someone who can make you a beautiful set of m/t super scavenger headers for your car. He made me a set for my l78 and they are perfect. A hot cam and chambered exhaust...what a sound when you're rolling through the gears.