PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Kaplan died.

Stefano
03-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Subject: Ronnie Kaplan has Died

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Ronnie Kaplan has passed away this morning. He died peacefully surrounded by family – just like he wanted. Thank you for being a friend. He valued the people in his life and the fond memories he was able to create throughout his many adventures. We are working with Cooney funeral home in Park Ridge for services.

Sincerely,

The Kaplan Family

Postsedan
03-01-2014, 06:30 PM
My condolences to the Kaplan Family.

Dan

sixtiesmuscle
03-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Ronnie Kaplan, 87, of Park Ridge, IL took his final checkered flag on March 1st 2014 surrounded by his loving family. Ronnie served his country in the Coast Guard during WW II; was a devoted husband and best friend of Lynne (nee Hildebrandt), for 52 years; beloved father of Greg (Susan), Kairn Pawlikowsky (Jon), Jill, Kris (Laura), and Melani; beloved grandpa to Charlie, Tim, Mason, Liam, Ronnie, and Emme. Preceeded in death by his mother, Faye Wilczek, and brother, Robert Kaplan.
One of the last surviving members of 1960 Indianapolis 500 winning crew, Ronnie’s innovative work on Indy Cars, Trans Ams, Corvettes, and other cars has been restored and preserved at the Indianapolis Hall of Fame Museum and private collections throughout the U.S.
A dear friend and mentor to many, Ronnie’s thirst for knowledge and adventure took him, his family and friends through exciting projects and quests. A mischievous sense of humor and warmth kept him always young. Ronnie will be forever remembered for his artisan craftsmanship.
Visitation will be on Monday, March 3, 3:00 – 9:00 at Cooney Funeral Home, 625 Busse Hwy, Park Ridge. The funeral is to take place Tuesday at 9:00 am at Cooney and 10:00 am mass at St. Paul of the Cross at 320 S. Washington, Park Ridge. Info 847-685-1002 www.cooneyfuneralhome.com (http://www.cooneyfuneralhome.com)

COPO CARTEL
03-02-2014, 01:39 AM
Gods Speed is unbefitting .....Ronnie's Speed is more appropriate.

Tracker1
03-02-2014, 12:23 PM
I will be raising a parting glass to him today.

bashton
03-02-2014, 06:55 PM
So Sorry to hear this news. Our condolences go out to his family.

It was certainly an honor to be able to host Ronnie at the MCACN show several times, where he shared stories in the Nickey display, and he was also able to spend some time in the AMC/Ya display, talking about his days with the Penske team.

This past August, I was involved in a campaign to have Ronnie inducted into the Corvette Museum Hall of Fame, and submitted the following letter which is just a tip of the iceberg concerning Ronnie Kaplan's career and many contributions to our sport;

<span style="font-style: italic">August 24, 2013

Connie Russell
NATIONAL CORVETTE MUSEUM
Hall of Fame
350 Corvette Drive
Bowling Green, KY 42101

Subject: Ronnie Kaplan

Dear Connie:

This letter is intended to serve as an endorsement and nomination of Ronnie Kaplan to the National Corvette Museum Hall of Fame. My name is Bob Ashton, and I am currently the Managing Member and Co-Owner of the world’s largest all indoor specialty show devoted to the finest and rarest Muscle Cars, Dealer-built Supercars and Corvettes. In addition, I am a die-hard long time enthusiast.

To summarize Ronnie Kaplan’s accomplishments in the racing and Corvette world on several pages would be an injustice. He has served our hobby and the race world in countless ways, and has also been a true ambassador of our sport. Being a very humble “behind the scenes” kind of guy, many don’t know that his leadership and efforts took his team, driver and the Corvette to the winners circle countless times.

I can tell you from my own personal experience, Ronnie has always been more than happy to share his knowledge, experience and more with anyone interested. He has had hands-on experience with so many makes, including with the Corvette with the famed Purple People Eater back in the late 50’s with famed Nickey Chevrolet of Chicago, Illinois. Ronnie worked with many of the greats, including Roger Penske. He starting working on Penske’s Trans Am team with his 1969 Camaro, and then in 1970, Penske and the team moved over to American Motors. Ronnie certainly helped in putting AMC on the racing world map, with the red white and blue Trans Am Javelins. Kaplan Engineering was involved in numerous racing efforts, and Ronnie was indeed a sought after competitor, truly an asset to the teams he was involved with. His efforts would not go unnoticed, as he headed to Sebring with the AMC team, and the cars, without the benefit of high dollar manufacturer’s assistance, worked fine, finishing the twelve hours respectfully. Then, in 1971 Penske’s team won the SCCA National Championship in an AMC Javelin. Even recently, Ronnie was a featured celebrity at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals, sharing stories of both his days with the Penske team in a special AMC display and also with a Nickey Chicago special display.

In addition to being a true Gentleman, Ronnie Kaplan has enjoyed a long and distinguished racing career, which started with his efforts on the Purple People Eater Corvette. His efforts have certainly allowed the Corvette to gain national and international attention and recognition, and I would love to see Mr. Kaplan be recognized for his many years of hard work, dedication and enthusiasm.

Sincerely;

Bob Ashton
MCACN, LLC
Managing Member</span>

TimG
03-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Ronnie Kaplan had &quot;touched&quot; a couple of old Corvettes I owned in the past.