PDA

View Full Version : Cobra find

bergy
04-04-2014, 09:59 PM
an 87 year old lady called me to ask if I'd take a look at her late husband's car. She had no idea of the details of the car - other then it was a Cobra and she wanted to sell it! naturally, there was only about a 1% chance that it was the real thing - but I had to take a look. When I opened the garage door, here's a picture of what I saw - no, unfortunately it's not a real 427 Cobra. It is aluminum though. VIN starts with DRF - gotta figure out what that stands for.

Xplantdad
04-05-2014, 04:15 AM
Cool Bruce...I was hoping it was the other <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

Ryan1969Chevelle
04-05-2014, 11:36 AM
nice wide hips

Ryan

Dave Rifkin
04-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Might not be real but, looks like someone did a nice job on it.

DW31S
04-06-2014, 12:18 AM
Yea, still cool and looks like fun; not for me, but for others. At 6'2&quot;, I'm not a Cobra kind of guy!

Dave Rifkin
04-06-2014, 01:41 AM
I could be 7'2&quot; and I'd somehow find a way to squeeze my butt into a Cobra; might look like a circus car but, I'd have the biggest smile on my face.

markinnaples
04-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Hi, I found this online for you and your Cobra:

&quot;the DRF is an old California designation for state issued Vin numbers it was before the current blue tags they use now. they were issued to special constructed vehicles, from motorcycles to cars, dune buggies etc....

so that vin really just says it was registered in CA as a special constructed vehicle&quot;

Here's the link: http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/123333-new-forum-please-help.html

Might help. Good luck with your search, beautiful car.

bergy
04-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks Mark!

jbsides
04-11-2014, 01:58 AM
Any indication it is one of Mike Mcluskey's cars from his facility at Torrance Airport? He has been producing aluminum cars for quite some time, they are really well done, and are very pricey. He shares a hangar with a good friend and I have been over there a few times, but I'm not much of a Ford guy. I do know he had an arrangement on the use of emblems, logos, etc. with the big guy himself and had those aluminum bodies fabbed in Oregon and sent down to his place. Impressive operation.

bergy
04-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks again for the info. I'll contact McClusky, but I don't think that his cars had DRF VINs. Maybe one of the Polish bodies, TIG frame, nicely done....still diggin'

TimG
04-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Kimmins built the body on my Hi-Tech CSX3002 replica, Mark Garish (Wisconsin) built the Cobra replica Jay Leno has. There were some good aluminum bodies before Kirkham. Kirkham builds ones that are a mirror image on both sides. The other aluminum bodies I've seen are not mirror image on both sides. Look for that. Usually around the rear flares.

TimG
04-14-2014, 04:28 PM
It really looks like a Kirkham to me.

iluv69s
04-30-2014, 11:27 AM
My buddy in Brazil has an aluminum bodied Cobra that was apparently made in England...(according to the dash emblem that I remember)..attached is a short video..dont know if you can tell the make by the video..probably not..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuIpuBzP6o0

bergy
04-30-2014, 01:09 PM
That video is hilarious! Not a great idea around those gas pumps though. BTW - the car that is the subject of this thred is for sale at 125k. It is not my car and nothing in it for me. It is aluminum and it is a real side oiler. Could be an early McClusky. I can put you in touch with the seller if you PM me.