PDA

View Full Version : Olds 98 questions

GaryC
05-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi guys. Yesterday I saw a beautiful example of an Olds 98 Convertible when I stopped off to get an allergy shot. I couldn't determine what year so I have a few questions. This car was large, had the pre-5 mile an hour bumpers on it. I'm thinking 72? Did olds build convertible 98's after 72? and when did the crash bumpers start? I didn't stop to look at the car but from a distance it really stuck out. Dark Blue, white convertible top with dark blue or black interior, and really low to the ground.

Lynn
05-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Giant bumpers started in 74. Or at least they were not federally mandated until 74.

TimG
05-22-2014, 02:01 PM
They started on the front in 1973. They were ugly. The last year for the convertible is 1975 in the big Olds.

442w30
05-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Visit oldcarbrochures.com to tell us what you saw.

GaryC
05-23-2014, 05:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Visit oldcarbrochures.com to tell us what you saw. </div></div>

I'll give it a look see. Thanks.

GaryC
05-23-2014, 06:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GaryC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Visit oldcarbrochures.com to tell us what you saw. </div></div>

I'll give it a look see. Thanks. </div></div>

Looks to be a 71 or 72. Definitely not a 73, front and rear bumpers where close to the body. I'm leaning towards the 72. but between the 71 and 72 it's hard to tell. I only got a 10 or 15 second look at it at best. It was really clean and very original looking. It was really long. The 98 is longer then the 88 correct? The tail lights were different then the 88.

PeteLeathersac
05-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Discerning between 71 &amp; 72 Olds 98's is more difficult than the other GM divisions but here's what I always used to look for.
As in the previous thread, the '71 trunklids had louver vents and 72-76 cars didn't...this applies to other GM division cars too.
From the front, although the grilles are slightly different it's easiest to look for the bumper rub strip...72's had 'em and 71's were smooth w/ no rub strip.
And yes, 98's are slightly longer than 88's because of the 1/4 shape and tail light tips but their style makes them look even longer yet.
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

GaryC
05-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Thanks Pete. I wouldn't swear it but now that you mention the rub strip I don't believe this 98 had it. I'm pretty sure the bumpers front and rear were just plain chrome. The rub strips would have stood out to me. I'm thinking 71 now. I only go into Dover once a week for my allergy shot, since last June so I don't know if I'll ever see the car again and didn't have my phone with me to get a pic or two...plus my wife would have just rolled her eyes if I decided to stop to look. If it was a survivor it was very nice and very clean. Always was a fan of the dark blue colors with white top. Parked around the smaller cars it really looked huge.

PeteLeathersac
05-24-2014, 12:54 AM
I only know these bombs as early 80's I bought a '71 98 Coupe to get the 455 but the car was too nice so drove it for a while and really liked it.
Ended up swapping it for a rusty '69 Toro w/ original motor I wanted for my '69 442 Post.
~ Pete

GaryC
05-24-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm hoping I'll see the car again next week and get a few phone pics, but it's always one of those now you see it now you don't things around here.

PeteLeathersac
05-25-2014, 02:36 AM
I just re-read the above and had missed the part about it being a convertible.
The 69/70 body style was the last for 98 'verts so if a later car must be an 88 series?
~ Pete

GaryC
05-25-2014, 04:37 AM
I'm still wondering about that car Pete. I'm not sure I'll ever see it again but I'm hoping so. I would swear it was a convertible though. Didn't look like a vinyl top at all, too bumpy looking. I Google the different years for images and the one thing I thought I saw was not the slash mark type side marker lights but more like the old Olds symbol with the rocket looking piece pointing up thru the center of the lens. I'm gonna Google again. The top of the bumper looked to wrap around the bottom of the grill instead of going straight across and hiding the bottom of the grill. Now I'm thinking it may have been a 69.

daverd
05-30-2014, 12:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteLeathersac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just re-read the above and had missed the part about it being a convertible.
The 69/70 body style was the last for 98 'verts so if a later car must be an 88 series?
~ Pete </div></div>
That's correct
71 and later full sized olds convertible
88 based

GaryC
05-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Went out this past week for my allergy shot and it wasn't around. I do this once a week, maybe I'll get lucky on one of them and get a few pics.