PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am

danachevroletfor1967
02-27-2015, 02:56 AM
Were all 1969 Trans-Ams white with blue stripes? Were any other colors available? I seem to remember a guy at Idaho State University in Pocatello, where I went to school, that had a blue one with white stripes. Is my memory playing tricks on me from 40+ years ago or was this combination possible?

njsteve
02-27-2015, 10:25 AM
All production cars were white with blue stripes in 1969. (except the silver prototype).

danachevroletfor1967
02-27-2015, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification Steve.

Keith Seymore
03-04-2015, 02:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danachevroletfor1967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were all 1969 Trans-Ams white with blue stripes? Were any other colors available? I seem to remember a guy at Idaho State University in Pocatello, where I went to school, that had a blue one with white stripes. Is my memory playing tricks on me from 40+ years ago or was this combination possible? </div></div>

Steve is (of course)correct.

The brochure car for 1970 was blue with white stripes. Perhaps that is what you are remembering.

K

442w30
03-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Steve, aren't there variations with the stripe? Like they used one blue and then went with another blue, although similar? Or is that an urban legend?

Xplantdad
03-04-2015, 06:32 PM
I do know that there was (incorrectly repainted I guess in the Blue with white stripe)) a real 1969 Trans Am off of Imperial Hwy and the 91 freeway years ago...in SoCal.

I thought it looked great-but then, what do I know <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

njsteve
03-04-2015, 07:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, aren't there variations with the stripe? Like they used one blue and then went with another blue, although similar? Or is that an urban legend? </div></div>

There are variations on how the blue was painted on the rear spoiler on the assembly line, such as with or without blue pedestals, over/under the wing, etc.

442w30
03-04-2015, 10:12 PM
OK, thanks.

tjs44
03-04-2015, 11:48 PM
Nice pics at donuts!FYI,the 69 Firebird with the RA V is mine.Although it looks like a TA its not,NO TA decals anywhere.I have owned a real TA so after I sold it I wanted the look but because its just a bird,thats all it says.Tom

StealthBird
03-05-2015, 12:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, aren't there variations with the stripe? Like they used one blue and then went with another blue, although similar? Or is that an urban legend? </div></div>

There are variations on how the blue was painted on the rear spoiler on the assembly line, such as with or without blue pedestals, over/under the wing, etc. </div></div>

Actually, there were NO variations on how the spoilers were painted. The only ones that received stripes over the spoiler were the two press fleet cars. When they went to production, all 1969 Trans Am's had solid white rear wings with blue pedestals. It's an urban myth that some received stripes over the spoiler. Back in the 1970's and 1980's, people repainted these cars, and the only reference they had were original road tests, or the original magazine ad, which showed the pre-production paint scheme.

It wouldn't surprise me if dealers, upon receiving a 1969 Trans Am, thought that Pontiac goofed and forgot to paint stripes over the spoiler, because that's what the Dealer Sales Album insert provided to them showed. Also wouldn't surprise me if a customer requested the dealer to paint on the stripes, as that's how they appeared in the magazine ads. But they never built them with stripes over the spoiler, other than the pre-production version.

From a styling standpoint, you can see why they chose to delete the rear wing stripes. The wing stripes look ok when looking DOWN on the car (such as in the original magazine ad), but from a street view, the stripes appeared broken and fragmented because they floated over the trunk stripes.