PDA

View Full Version : 1968 nova question

fastco
04-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Can anyone help to ID an original fender for 1968 Nova? I am told the marker lite hole is unique to 68? Also, what is the difference in the hood hinge mounting holes on GM and aftermarket fenders? My car is 150kms in one direction and the fenders I want to buy are 150 kms in the other. Just don't want to miss out on them if they are what I need. If anyone can provide measurements on the marker lite hole that would be helpful. Thanks.

WILMASBOYL78
04-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Paul...The 68 and 69 front fenders are the same, the marker lite hole changed for the 70 model year....there are plenty of photos online for comparison.

As for hood hinge mounting holes factory vs aftermarket...they should be identical in theory. If you can get OEM fenders that would be the best option...assembly line units would be my first choice, even if they need some work. Others may feel differently but, I have heard nothing but horror stories from folks trying to get the repop stuff to fit correctly, trim to lineup, etc.. If you are building a "real" car I would look for the "real" parts...just my opinion.

wilma

fastco
04-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Thanks Wilma, agree on the repop vs Gm thing. The reason for the question on the differences is I don't want aftermarket, the fella measured the cutout for the marker lite and it is 6 1/2" from the front edge of the fender, and the opening for the marker is 2 1/2" long. As far as I am aware this is a real car! Brent396 said it was when I got it from him! HA Ha yes it's real. All my cars a real... even my Vega! Thanks. I think I will pull the trigger on these.

jasonL78
04-10-2015, 10:50 AM
On the old repop fenders I'm going back 10 years or so the cut out for the marker light was a little high. I had a guy buy an original set of fenders off of me because he bought an aftermarket set had the car painted then went to put the 69 1" side moldings on and they ran into the front marker lights. He was a little up set. That's why you always test fit trim and panel before you paint. It will get you in the end if you don't. Over on Steve nova site a guy had a real nice set of original 68-69 fenders..... priced good. Good luck with the resto. So you bought Brents blue 68?

fastco
04-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Going to get to the car this weekend and drive it home. Then probably just pull one the original fenders off to take with me to look at the ones I want to buy. Guy is willing to wait until next week. Will check out the fenders on stoves nova site, jasonl78 no, I bought the running green one from brent

jasonL78
04-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Oh forgot he had that one.