PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Royal Bobcat GTO Question

Steve_Hoog
04-23-2015, 05:19 AM
Just after Wangers sold that Blue GTO; 1970/71 time frame, a guy owned it for a year ish. I am having a complete brain fart and cannot remember his name and it's driving me crazy, I wondered if anyone could help? Several years ago he was leaving a parts store in Michigan behind two of his boys in a Mustang, they hit a patch of ice and were tragically killed. His first name may have been Frank, but don't remember for sure. Scanned Milt's book as I thought he was mentioned in it, but don't see anything.

And speaking of Milt's book... Does anyone know what happened to the author of that book Keith MacDonald? He posted on here for a while.

Steve_Hoog
04-23-2015, 06:39 AM
OK the first one finally came to me, Frank Ulbrik.

But still curious about Keith.

old5.0
04-23-2015, 03:59 PM
I remember when those two got killed; there were threads on several of the late model Mustang boards. The Mustang they were driving was a serious piece of hardware. Roads were wet. Bad deal all the way around.

Steve_Hoog
04-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Unbelievably horrible deal!!!! I sure hope the surviving brother and Frank have found an amount of piece to deal with life after the fact.

Tenney
04-23-2015, 09:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Hoog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what happened to the author of that book Keith MacDonald?</div></div>

Spoke w/Keith last summer during the 50th Anniversary of the GTO celebration at Carlisle, where he was broadcasting/podcasting a program on the topic - seems well-immersed in the hobby.

old5.0
05-12-2015, 04:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tenney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Hoog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what happened to the author of that book Keith MacDonald?</div></div>

Spoke w/Keith last summer during the 50th Anniversary of the GTO celebration at Carlisle, where he was broadcasting/podcasting a program on the topic - seems well-immersed in the hobby. </div></div>

I enjoyed Keith's book on Royal immensely.

And, just to keep it balanced, I also enjoyed Glory Days immensely. I'd love to see a book on some of the other Pontiac super dealers of the era, such as Knafel and Myrtle. Probably won't ever happen, though.

flyingn
05-12-2015, 05:01 PM
http://www.macombdaily.com/20080918/lawsuit-alleges-defective-car-part-played-part-in-fatal-accident

old5.0
05-12-2015, 05:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyingn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.macombdaily.com/20080918/lawsuit-alleges-defective-car-part-played-part-in-fatal-accident </div></div>

Yep. Not sure how that ever turned out so I didn't mention it. But, UPR has a well-established reputation for ripping off other people's designs and turning out crap. Poor quality metal, horrible welds, etc. I wouldn't have UPR products on the the ground next to my car, much less on it. Either Team Z or Baseline Suspension for me.