PDA

View Full Version : Gen IV Camaro - LT1 or LS1?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Is the LT1 a problem child compared to the LS1, or is it just internet hype?

Benjamin can actually drive in Jr Street class next year, so if I could pick up something cheap for him like this.....

96 LT1 Camaro with 11k miles (http://www.ebay.com/itm/231590407141?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

Dave Rifkin
06-15-2015, 04:48 PM
I am no engine guy but, the only problems I recall reading about were related to an intake manifold gasket leak and the Opti-Spark set up. I used to own a 1996 Collector Edition Corvette and never had a problem with it.

novadude
06-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Opti-spark was really the only issue with those engines. IMO, it was a great engine, and the height of traditional SBC development. Crank, rods, pistons, valvetrain, etc, etc all interchangeable with the traditional small block, and every bit as reliable. It's only the opti-spark and water pump that cause people fits.

cook_dw
06-15-2015, 06:26 PM
LT-1's were & are great torque engines. Biggest issue is the intake design being the limiting factor. LS has a larger and greater potential for power from the aftermarket. Like others have said Opti is the biggest issue. If you do decide to go with a LT based engine car go with the later models (95- 97).

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks all, I'll keep my eyes open - I think he'll be the only 14 year old kid with 3 cars: '69 Nova SS, 7.90 Jr Dragster, and a '96'ish Camaro Z28. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/eek.gif

PxTx
06-15-2015, 07:47 PM
I'd like to hear more about needs and goals for the car. I don't like a few things in the Camaro like the wimpy rear ends, they can be hard to judge for a young person. Aftermarket is weak for the lt1 and with the engine back there, half under the dash...well not my favorite car to do simple thing like changing the plugs.

Fox body Mustang? Strong aftermarket, 8 8 rear, lighter/smaller, more traditional layout, pre-obdii gives some emissions test flexibility and most of all...they are historically relevant.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-15-2015, 08:47 PM
That's a good option Paul, and I'm not opposed to a decent Found On Russian Dump Fox body - it would likely be a street class car with minimal mod's, essentially a bridge vehicle so he can continue racing between Jr Dragsters and going off to College.

markjohnson
06-15-2015, 09:28 PM
I've got a late model LT1/LT4 fetish but don't tell anybody. I like the reverse cooling in them and by '96, they had most of the bugs worked out of that Opti-Spark ignition with a vent system for moisture problems. That being said, it's been about 20 years now since the LS asteroid wiped them out and the smart thing to probably do is just jump on newer LS bandwagon with the rest of the world. LS aftermarket support has become mind-boggling big.

PxTx
06-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Mark makes a really good point. You could probably get a GT0 for similar money and have the LS and all its goodness. I say the GTO because they are under valued vs a Camaro.

That said, my belief is that any LS equipped car under $10k today is not as strong of a value as any of the sub $10k Fox Mustangs. Speaking in relatively stock form for each, the Mustang is a more capable, reliable and diy friendly drag car. Yes, the LS motors are better but with modern efi and forced induction or NO2 control, you can easily make excessive hp with nearly anything.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pf_tQkM3CME"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pf_tQkM3CME" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-16-2015, 01:43 AM
I agree with of you - wish I could find an LS powered GTO for $10K! Otherwise, the goal is a cheap set of wheels to go racing for a few years. I'm thinking a decent LS1 powered Camaro or late model 'Stang will be a good deal in a couple of years when he's able to run both Jr's and a street car.

PxTx
06-16-2015, 02:42 AM
http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/5064682693.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5016881032.html

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Good finds! thanks,

old5.0
06-16-2015, 10:41 PM
Most of the relevant info has already been covered, but I'm throwing in my two cents anyway. The LT1 is a solid platform, but it's time on the performance scene was brief and it was completely overshadowed by the LS. Ultimately, it was simply a mild update of the basic Gen 1 SBC, while the LS was a clean sheet design engineered from the ground up to be a horsepower churn. The result is that, outside of a few dedicated loyalists, relatively few mess with the LT. Most stick the Gen 1 SBC or skip ahead to the LS engines.

In terms of platform, the 4th gens have some issues when used as a dedicated drag car, as has been pointed out already. If you'd prefer to stick with GM, an alternative might be an 80's G-Body with either a worked SBC or an LS swap. Either can be done without breaking the bank. And if you're changing engines anyway, don't forget about the 3rd Gen, either.

If you are willing to make the jump to the Fox, some positives have already been pointed out, as well. Some people hate 'em because you can't walk five feet at the track without tripping over one, but to that it must be pointed out that A. People used to have the same complaint about 1st gen Camaro's when they were the cheap drag car of choice, and B. They're common because they just flat out work. The Fox/LS swap (Boo!) is relatively common and well scienced-out.

If you'd prefer to keep everything one brand, keep in mind that the SBF in stock form simply isn't in the same league as the LS since it was designed before the Beach Boys moved out of their parent's house. However, this isn't the 60's anymore, or even the 80's for that matter, and the aftermarket has closed alot of gaps. The first aftermarket SBF head, the ARI Pro-1, released around '84 or '85 and the first aftermarket EFI intake hit the scene about four years later, which means that there's a 30-year supply of aftermarket hard parts floating around, not to mention the easy access to information on building a brutally quick and safe 5.0 Fox without taking out a second mortgage.

Pick your poison; you'll do okay with any of these options. If you decide to go with a Fox, feel free to hit me up any time. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-18-2015, 04:14 PM
Great info, thanks. My son is not against a 5.0 'stang, he realizes that he's angling for his second full size car by age 14'ish! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

earntaz
06-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Nothing at all wrong with a Fox body -- especially when it has a 496 BBC between the fenders ... kits are available that include headers, mounts, crossmembers, etc.

Mix the Heartbeat of America and a Blue Oval and it's a real quick machine. TAZ