PDA

View Full Version : Randall Gremlin X

Fast67VelleN2O
07-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Randall was like the Motion of the AMC world. Don't know about the price, but a super cool car!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121703283114?rmvSB=true

markjohnson
07-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Those are awesome cars but that's gotta be the most expensive Gremlin on the planet. I think Car Craft mag did a road test on one of these and it was a 12-second car.

markjohnson
07-15-2015, 11:58 PM
http://gremlinx.com/randall-401-xr/

Postsedan
07-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Love it.....I drove one in the early 80`s....a fast pocket rocket <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan

Tracker1
07-16-2015, 12:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love it.....I drove one in the early 80`s....a fast pocket rocket <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan </div></div>

But for 60K, he can keep it in his pocket. Great AMC history, but it's still a Gremlin. Dreamer.

69hurstSC
07-16-2015, 01:31 PM
I disagree. Not to sound like whiner but this is exactly what the Big 3 owners have done to AMC owners their whole life. To an AMC enthusiast and hardcore fan this is the equivalent of a 67 or 68 Yenko Camaro. Why come on the lone AMC forum and poo poo a Gremlin?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love it.....I drove one in the early 80`s....a fast pocket rocket <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan </div></div>

But for 60K, he can keep it in his pocket. Great AMC history, but it's still a Gremlin. Dreamer. </div></div>

69hurstSC
07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
And why not? Aren't there pedigree cars amongst all manufacturers? And I would imagine the Wally Booth car is probably the most expensive/valued Gremlin on the planet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markjohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are awesome cars but that's gotta be the most expensive Gremlin on the planet. I think Car Craft mag did a road test on one of these and it was a 12-second car. </div></div>

Tracker1
07-16-2015, 05:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69hurstSC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree. Not to sound like whiner but this is exactly what the Big 3 owners have done to AMC owners their whole life. To an AMC enthusiast and hardcore fan this is the equivalent of a 67 or 68 Yenko Camaro. Why come on the lone AMC forum and poo poo a Gremlin?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love it.....I drove one in the early 80`s....a fast pocket rocket <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan </div></div>

But for 60K, he can keep it in his pocket. Great AMC history, but it's still a Gremlin. Dreamer. </div></div> </div></div>

Wes, I'm not knocking the car per se, I have an issue with the price. And I would say the same thing if somebody posted up a six-figure asking price for a Motion Vega GT - it's a freaking Vega. For me it's about the intended origins of the car and Chevy Vegas, Ford Pintos and Gremlins fall into a very &quot;non-musclecar&quot; category. But that's just my opinion. I really like a lot of AMC cars and I've been looking for a real Black '70 Rebel Machine for some time but they seem to be unobtanium. The '72 AMX 401 4-speed in the For Sale section is worth every penny of the 50k asking price...in my opinion, but there are certainly those that will never agree and that's just THEIR opinion. So it's not about AMCs.

Sixty grand for an unrestored dealer-prepped Gremlin is a tough pill to swallow, cool as it is - AND IT IS A HISTORIC CAR. But that price is out to lunch. I can buy a driveable patina AAR Cuda for two-thirds of that price, it's a better value equation - the math and the market dictate it to be that way, not me. Same applies with this Randall Bomb - the math and the market (regardless of how &quot;devoted&quot; you are to the AMC brand) will not support a 60K asking price. That's what I believe. But, as always, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

And I have &quot;come onto the lone AMC forum&quot; on this site many times and given kudos to some real nice ones that have been featured here. If I didn't have a liking for the AMCs I wouldn't be in here at all. Just having my say on a public forum is all. Cheers. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

69hurstSC
07-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Does that opinion apply to Yenko Stingers or Baldwin Motion Vega's?

Tracker1
07-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Yes for Motion Vegas - I referenced that in my previous post. I'd rather have the Randall Gremlin than a Motion Vega, any day.

No for Yenko Stingers - purpose-built race car by Yenko. There is no comparison between Yenko and Randall. Don Yenko was a passionate, successful race driver with a long history of using his significant dealer influence in getting back door access to FACTORY hot rods - not just stuff assembled in the back bay of a dealership - but on the assembly line. Don Yenko is the reason there are COPO Camaros....nobody can beat that legacy. I will argue with anybody that Don Yenko is the most significant dealership owner/operator of the musclecar era, casting a long, tall shadow of influence from 1964-70 during the &quot;meat&quot; of the time period. He is second, only, to Carroll Shelby in the lasting legacy of American performance car builders and marketers. With all due respect, Randall wasn't a zit on his a##

markus37
07-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Actually only about a dozen of the original 100 Stingers were built as SCCA D/Production race cars....100 were produced to qualify them as a &quot;Production Sports Car &quot; under SCCA rules.The sales success of the Camaro, Chevelles and Novas later rode on the heels of the Yenko Sportscars Dealer Network established to market the Stingers. Don's dad, Frank, was always in the background reminding everyone that the business was about selling cars.( and parts ! )

69hurstSC
07-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Well now, that opens a whole new can of worms. I'll argue that the significance of both Tasca and Mr. Norm are easily on par in regards to dealership owner/operators and their influence on the manufacturers. But that's another fight for another day. No one compared Yenko to Randall directly, you did.

The Corvair was never a performance car, plain and simple. For that it's an apples to apples comparison with the Randall Gremlin's, Motion Vega's, Boss Maverick's and any other performance applications for the non Muscle Car. That doesn't mean they can't fetch a premium in the market place, especially when they have as much documentation and originality as the Randall Gremlin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes for Motion Vegas - I referenced that in my previous post. I'd rather have the Randall Gremlin than a Motion Vega, any day.

No for Yenko Stingers - purpose-built race car by Yenko. There is no comparison between Yenko and Randall. Don Yenko was a passionate, successful race driver with a long history of using his significant dealer influence in getting back door access to FACTORY hot rods - not just stuff assembled in the back bay of a dealership - but on the assembly line. Don Yenko is the reason there are COPO Camaros....nobody can beat that legacy. I will argue with anybody that Don Yenko is the most significant dealership owner/operator of the musclecar era, casting a long, tall shadow of influence from 1964-70 during the &quot;meat&quot; of the time period. He is second, only, to Carroll Shelby in the lasting legacy of American performance car builders and marketers. With all due respect, Randall wasn't a zit on his a## </div></div>

Tracker1
07-19-2015, 01:07 AM
&quot;Nobody compared Randell to Yenko directly, you did.&quot;

Ummmmm....

&quot;To an AMC enthusiast and hardcore fan this is the equivalent of a 67 or 68 Yenko Camaro.&quot;

69hurstSC
07-20-2015, 01:33 PM
I wasn't putting Randall on par with Yenko in terms of stature. I was putting the 401 Gremlins on par with the non-COPO transplant cars. There are no greater transplant cars for AMC than the Randall Gremlins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">&quot;Nobody compared Randell to Yenko directly, you did.&quot;

Ummmmm....

&quot;To an AMC enthusiast and hardcore fan this is the equivalent of a 67 or 68 Yenko Camaro.&quot; </div></div>

Tracker1
07-20-2015, 07:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69hurstSC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wasn't putting Randall on par with Yenko in terms of stature. I was putting the 401 Gremlins on par with the non-COPO transplant cars. There are no greater transplant cars for AMC than the Randall Gremlins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">&quot;Nobody compared Randell to Yenko directly, you did.&quot;

Ummmmm....

&quot;To an AMC enthusiast and hardcore fan this is the equivalent of a 67 or 68 Yenko Camaro.&quot; </div></div> </div></div>

Is there a registry for the XRs?

69hurstSC
07-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Not that I'm aware of. However, the family is still very active.
https://www.facebook.com/RandallRambleramcJeepEagle

SpaceLord
12-25-2015, 02:01 PM
When I was a kid, working at Burger King...one of the older guys working there had a Randall 401-Gremlin. It was VERY fast from a roll, but just did pin-wheels down the street from a dig.