PDA

View Full Version : 1969 GTO Build Sheet

ScottG
07-31-2015, 12:43 AM
I bought a 65,000 mile 1969 GTO. The car is untouched except for paint. It is a Fremont Plant build, Sept. of 1968. I have the PHS Report . Where is the most likely spot to find the build sheet? Thanks, Scott

442w30
07-31-2015, 02:10 AM
I'm sure someone will visit here, but you should visit performanceyears.com.

What color is it?

mockingbird812
07-31-2015, 02:11 AM
BS would be good but PHS is always available and provides the same info. How about some pix?

ScottG
07-31-2015, 11:27 PM
All six 1969/1970 GTO's that I have had were green. This one is Verdoro Green , Green vinyl roof , Gold interior. Power seat , windows , A/C , P/S , PDB , Rally 2 wheels, Rally Guages , Turbo 400 , console/ buckets . 65,000 miles . I bought the PHS before looking at the car.

442w30
08-01-2015, 12:13 AM
I meant to say, &quot;I'm sure someone <span style="font-style: italic">more knowledgeable will stop by here</span>...&quot;

Anyway, gold interior is a great complement to Verdoro for those who can't warm up to the color. My friend's dad has his '68 ragtop in that combo - he bought it new too.

Wakepowell
08-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Not all cars had build sheets in them. Depending on the type of life the GTO has had the sheet may not have survived. On Pontiacs the most common spot the build sheets are found is on top of the fuel tank. Occasionally they can be found under the rear seat or stuffed behind the rear door panels

ScottG
08-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks, I know the tank has never been out. When the car gets here I will take it out.

68 Vert
08-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I have found a few BS's under the drivers side carpet. Sometimes in the foot area or closer to the shifter hump. Most of these cars were Pontiac plant built cars. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Fremont plant built cars.
Post some pictures when you get the car.

ScottG
08-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Yes, thank you.

mockingbird812
08-02-2015, 01:16 PM
V Green is my favorite color on a '68. Sounds like you have a real gem there. What a color combo!

grantprix
08-02-2015, 05:43 PM
I had a Fremont built '69 GTO for several years that I purchased from the original owner back in '87... never did find a build sheet in that car, but I had the original window sticker which was nice.

ScottG
08-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Just sold a Fremont built 1970 GS455 Buick. No build sheet found in it, but Sloan Documentation was available for that car. It is a lot like PHS paperwork.

StealthBird
08-03-2015, 02:43 PM
I have many examples of Fremont build sheets, and every one seems to have the telltale stains of being over the gas tank. Build sheets from Baltimore built cars always have marks on them from being under seat springs.

Keith Seymore
08-03-2015, 05:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BS would be good but PHS is always available and provides the same info. How about some pix? </div></div>

The build sheet is a great addition to any Pontiac owner's pile of documentation.

There is information contained that PHS does not have access to, for example:

Broadcast date - is the date the order was introduced to the production system for build. PHS only has access to the invoice date (which can be wildly different in some cases). Also provides a valuable comparison between the body build date code on the cowl tag (09A in my case) vs the final line build timing.
Body number - PHS does not have access to any Fisher Body cowl tag information
Specific part numbers and broadcast codes - kinda fun to match up the &quot;TT&quot; radiator code to the physical part, for example.
The build sheet provides a brief noun name description of the option which the billing history punch card does not

Plus - the build sheet can highlight specific alterations to the content. For example I had always wondered why the rally cluster (with tach) did not make it onto our car or window sticker/invoice. The build sheet shows that the car was intended to have it but was &quot;built without&quot; for some unknown reason (&quot;Built Less 504&quot;). I don't know the reason but I at least know now it was intended and there was an issue with it. The PHS did not reveal this nuance; only that the option wasn't included.

K

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/hotrod001/GTO/GTOBuildsheet2.jpg

Keith Seymore
08-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Don't get me wrong: PHS is a godsend and was unique in the hobby for many years.

It's just that build documentation only found in the car itself trumps the PHS, in my opinion.

It's like finding an original copy of the Declaration of Independence as opposed to a microfiche version at the library.

K

iluv69s
08-03-2015, 08:28 PM
I parted a 68 GTO years ago and found the build sheet on the gas tank

GTO_DON
08-04-2015, 03:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have many examples of Fremont build sheets, and every one seems to have the telltale stains of being over the gas tank. Build sheets from Baltimore built cars always have marks on them from being under seat springs. </div></div>
You are correct. All Fremont built cars have the broadcast sheet on top of the tank. All Baltimore built cars have a Buildsheet which is different in the back seat or the drivers bucket seat.