PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Toronado

Big Block Bill
07-29-2016, 11:59 AM
To all Oldsmobile fans,

I need some help. I know this is not a Super Car, but it belongs to an 88 year old Widow of the original owner and I am trying to help her. I have a 1991 Toronado that is giving me fits. The instrument cluster will not display anything but the Tachometer, and scrolls "Electrical Problem" accross the top of the dash. It has no dash lights, no dash information displays, the fuel gauge does not display, the HVAC system does not work, and the headlights and headlight doors are erratic. The car will not communicate with the OBD II connector. It had a code 47 (ECM / BCM fault) in it before I replaced the BCM & ECM with a rebuilt units and transferred the PROM. Now the 47 code is gone. It now has code # 41 - Cam sensor circuit fault in it and the "Service Engine Soon" light flashes. I have checked all the connection I can and have cleaned and dielectric greased all connectors @ the BCM & ECM. I am leaning towards the Ignition switch as a possibility. Any ideas? PM any thoughts. Thank You

Bill

PeteLeathersac
07-29-2016, 12:26 PM
'

I was thinking possible bad ground/power supply and Googled this up below...
You may have already seen it but best of luck w/ everything either way!
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

=============================

Toro' Trofeo thread...
http://www.oldsmobileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=59566

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<span style="font-style: italic">
This thread sounds like what I had!

Once a gremlin gets in the dash cluster its hard to find. There are many parts running this system. The first is a transformer (under the center glove box) that is hard to get at unless you take out the center console followed by the dash cluster, VIC, BCM, etc.

The BCM could also be an issue and the VIC and VIC computer (radio controls). If your Cluster is going out then (from what I have seen and heard) the rest of the system seems to fail due to the wake up signal not working correctly (electrical issue).

I replaced the following parts in my 1990 Trofeo (at that time had the money);

1. BCM
2. ECM (not sure why)
3. VIC
4. Dash Cluster
5. Transformer
6. VIC Computer module

Nothing worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure the car started and I had the RPM gauge and a front window defrost (default when there is dash issues as that is a safety issue).

I was very heated and ready to give up. I went into my shop manual, started trouble shooting the components and found they all worked. Well finally my last thought was maybe I am just not getting power to the components.

That's when I turned to the power source and found a handful of fusible links. So I test each one with my 35 dollar volt meter on the ends after the fuse and found one that had no power at all. I went to Auto Zone bought two pack of fusible links for 1.95 and installed it. I turned the key to on and the darn thing lit up like a Christmas tree. Holy crap! Spent over 1500 dollars in parts and it turned out to be a 1,95 part. Not saying that is your problem.

Mr Wizard in North Dakota repairs these clusters and can give you advice to trouble shoot your system if the dash is not the issue. He will only charge you to clean it up if that is the issue. He helped me with my 1987 Toronado dash. I sent him my dash and he told me that wasnt the issue and that the transformer was most likely the culprit. He cleaned it and helped me from banging my head against the wall.

I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue but it helped me to determine what was wrong and I want others to avoid what I did with my 90 Toronado.

</span>

Big Block Bill
07-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Pete,

Thanks for the information. I am a Member of the Toronado Owners Association out of Hubertus Wisconsin. I have been for 3 years now since I restored my 1966 Toronado these past 2 years. I also contacted a &quot;Dr. K&quot; (Greg Kennedy) in Edmonton Alberta Canada. He is the 1986 - 1992 Toronado technical person. He sent me a link http://www.csciltd.com/gen_iv/ipc_fix.htm He also sent me a link to Mr. Wizard in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. He is closed until 8/1/2016 I presume on vacation. I will contact him and post how I make out. Thanks again for the information Pete!

Bill