PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend the best lift

Bryan302
11-20-2016, 06:45 AM
I'm looking to buy a new 9,000 to 12,000 lb. two post lift. I have looked at Mohawk, Rotary, and Challenger so far. I would like to hear from some fellow collectors and restorer's to share their experience with their favorite lift. Please also touch on symmetric VS. asymmetric type, which is the most practical?

Thanks,
Bryan

CamarosRus
11-20-2016, 11:04 AM
I have a used ROTARY because I met a dealer and got a good buy on a used 9000# Asymetric.

If I was shopping for new BENDPAK would be at top of my list !!!

ROTARY (made in America) owns/designs DIRECT Lifts (Made in China)

I have two DIRECT Four Post lifts, as well as the ROTARY two post

PxTx
11-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Often I say your lift choice is about service- especially if you plan on having it installed by the person you are purchasing it from.

Rotary is probably the benchmark. They make good lifts. Mohawk lifts- are oversized and over engineered. If you'be got the space and the price is fair- they are an easy lift to stand under.

Challenger is more value oriented- maybe one level above bendpack. Any of the ones mentioned could be a fine choice- depending on needs and how they are configured.

Asymmetric just refers to the way the car is loaded. If the front arm can be collapse enough to be shot (some times 3 sections) and the rear arm is long enough to reach so you have 30% loaded past the column and 70% before- you have an asymmetric load. Car door opens easily- without hitting post. If you want to lift a heavy truck- I prefer a symmetric load. Some lifts can do both.

The canted column may offer a bit of extra door clearance- but not much of difference to eliminatell traditional posts.

When looking for a graphic- I found this link.

https://www.motor.com/newsletters/20110921/WebFiles/ID1_Lifts.html

I would not make a choice on weight rating as much as physically looking at them. Mohawk is my 1st choice.

Bryan302
11-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Wow, thanks Chuck and Paul. I'll have to say that quality was a major concern and USA was a must. I appreciate your input, and makes my tough decision a little easier. I found another one searching last night, it was a Gemini, which looked good also. Mohawk and Rotary are at the top to choose from, from what I have seen. Any more good brands recommended would surely be welcomed.

Thanks a lot,
Bryan

CamarosRus
11-20-2016, 06:30 PM
TON of info at www.garagejournal.com (http://www.garagejournal.com) More than you will want to read

BENDPAK far and away most popular Chinese lift.

ROTARY American made you will pay $$$$

If you look at the SuperCar Workshop facebook page you
will SEE the BENDPAK lift that Brian has !!!!!

PxTx
11-20-2016, 07:32 PM
I just looked at Gemini via a search. Decent thread on GJ with a follow-follow-up at end worth reading.

The Gemini FB page shows a lot of what appears to be import type lifts. The other pics show warehouse atuff, but zero manufacturing- other than a pic of a guy and a lathe - possibly working on some typeof custom fix for something.

They may offer an acceptable lift, but seems far and away from your criteria.

Bryan302
11-21-2016, 04:34 AM
Thank you again Chuck and Paul. Those articles and sites are some very good eye opening reads. The symmetric / asymmetric selection could be and is very important. The asymmetric means much more than being able to open a door, as I had previously been told. This alone could make someone sick upon making the wrong choice. I didn't have any idea that so many of these lifts were actually made "across the pond". The companies are doing a nice job of hiding this fact! Also, I have seen a big difference in quality and material thickness. Now for the rude awakening, the prices. I'm a big fan of "you get what you pay for", I just hope I don't have to back down from my choices.

Thanks,
Bryan

flyingn
11-21-2016, 11:45 AM
I had a Bendpack HD9ST installed in my garage and its an amazing lift. Love it. Highly recommended

black69
11-22-2016, 02:05 AM
I have 2 backyard buddy lifts, red white and blue, made in america. have a friend that had a reputable lift fail due to frayed cables. Looked at mine and the cables are perfect still, not one fray.
they are not cheap.
the folks they sent out to set up did a great job.
I just checked and they have a 9000 lb offering.

1969l78
11-22-2016, 03:18 AM
Second Backyard Buddy!

CamarosRus
11-22-2016, 03:47 AM
OP is looking to buy a TWO POST lift.........

NOT four Post !!!!!!!

PxTx
11-22-2016, 04:01 AM
BYB is a great hobby 4 post lift. They set the benchmark for that category.

There isn't such a clear option when considering 2 post lift- though I might lean towards Rotary for that.

I used to install lifts about 10 years ago. My favorite value lift was a Power Rex lift- most popularly brought in by Complete Hydraulic as an SL10000. It was an import. Not Rotary quality but certainly far above all the value priced competitors. I would put it simular to Challenger- which is likely also an import.

I really think Mohawk or Rotary are you only options to consider, given your original post. Whichever make can give you the best local support is likely your choice.

Bryan302
11-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Paul, you hit the nail on the head. I called both Mohawk and Rotary today and got quotes. Mohawk 10,000 lb. System 1 is delivered for $6,800.00 and I install. Rotary 10,000 lb. is delivered and installed by their tech. for $4200.00. I called Rotary's factory in Texas and they had a dist. within 100 miles of me. I still have not decided on which one. Quality vs. Close.

Thanks for the help!

Bryan

cook_dw
11-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Bendpak for both 2 post and 4 post we had in the shop in BG and we installed them ourselves. Fairly easy.

MJV1953
11-27-2016, 12:38 AM
I had a new Rotary 2 post lift put in my home shop and am very satisfied with it after 5 years of trouble free service. I had the dealer install it. Did not want any accidents with 3,000 to 4,000 lbs. over my head.

Bryan302
11-27-2016, 05:07 AM
Thanks everyone, for your help and suggestions. I have decided on a Rotary 10,000 lb. symmetrical. I seriously considered Mohawk and Bendpak. One of the winning factors was the distance in shipping, dealer locations and the installation and service.

Thanks again,
Bryan

black69
12-01-2016, 10:28 PM
sorry about misreading the original post earlier, I think that rotary is a great choice.
I am kinda interested in checking out the ben pearson 2 post asym lifts. It takes them forever to get raised up, which is a negative I could live with. On a positive note, I notice a similar component as a mohawk (pump). Not sure yet how much of their 2 post lifts are made in USA (maybe another chinese rebrand), their 4 post is made in the USA.
I like the fact they have been around for a while (61 yrs) and you could get parts/service help down the road.

I dont know what it is, I would be nervous buying the Bendpak. I would have to get a rotary over that. And if money was no object, then hands down, mohawk.

PxTx
12-02-2016, 12:21 AM
I agree with your choice. Once you get the equalizing cables seated and adjusted, the Rotary will be very easu to own. I actually think it has an easier equalizing system for a hobbyist to maintain than the Mohawk.

If a lift is slow to raise, often it just because they are supplied with economy power units (even if made on the USA they are often maginally applied) with weak or less than ideal HP motors that operate lower volume pumps. You can up size the power unit to help- but won't have that issue with a Rotary. Add enough of these correcting measures and the true delta really narrows.

As for how long a company is in business being a reflection of current health- there are plenty of situations where name only have been purchased and maintained. GLOBE for example has been around for a long g time. Many of the old in ground lifts in 1960'some and older stations in the North East. Other than owning the name, current company has little connection to its past.

Fwiw, the best resource for all lift repairs I'be had to do on both domestic and flavor of the month imports us this company - SVI.

http://www.sviinternational.com/