PDA

View Full Version : New project 66 Fast back

HawkX66
08-26-2017, 12:48 PM
What do you think?

A12pilot
08-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Sweet! Welcome to the world of CHEAP cars!:burnout: And what I mean by that is you get the most bang for your buck with them. Everything is reproduced and affordable! Having done Mopars mostly, I had forgotten how relatively affordable Mustangs were to buy parts for. You should have fun with that one. C-code (2bbl) or A-Code (4bbl)??? I see the deluxe interior with the woodgrained trim and steering wheel, and is that a console bracket on the trans hump? Wimbledon white? :hmmm:

4spd Fastbacks are a good investment regardless of condition witht he 67-68 commanding the higher money, usually. Looks like that one will need floors (looks like plate steel placed on top of the factory floor) and that means usually the cowl is shot (typical on the Stangs too). Make a nice GT350 tribute out of it. Minimal investment to do that on the 66s (you'll need to install quarter panel vent windows) and drop in a T-5 trans for OD. I did a 66 GT350 Clone a long time ago, Rangoon red with white stripes and it sold in about 3hrs after I posted it. They're sharp cars when done!!!

Cheers

Dave

A12pilot
08-26-2017, 07:26 PM
I'm sure it has a door tag and a vin tag, which would reveal the engine code as a "K".... like 6F07Kxxxxxx. And all Factory-installed 289 High Performance engines had the vehicle serial number stamped into the righthand side of the block near the battery's negative-cable attachment point. The myth that they had screw in freeze plugs is just that. That's a Boss engine thing.

If it's a K Code.... that would be a candidate for a factory resto. Either way, a fun find! :burnout:

Cheers
Dave

cook_dw
08-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Nice project for the F word but the better question is whats the story on the 68 in the background? Looks promising. Seems like you are branching out more with this and the Old purchases.. Congrats.

Crush
08-28-2017, 04:40 PM
I like the green and yellow I see!!

bergy
08-28-2017, 07:08 PM
I know that it's sacrilege, but I do like the styling of those fastbacks. Great project!

Billohio
08-29-2017, 01:47 AM
I agree with Crush, looks like what I was working on today

bergy
08-29-2017, 04:55 PM
You probably know this - but the trunk bottom is the top of the fuel tank.

markinnaples
08-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Always liked those early FB Mustangs, and those original colors are unusual but awesome.

whitetop
08-30-2017, 02:51 PM
I am doing a 64.5 Mustang convertible right now. Unless you are doing all the work yourself you will be underwater. Price of Mustang fastbacks are dropping big time and you can now buy a finished one for way less than than restoring one.

You are looking at significant panel replacement floors, cowl, front aprons etc $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am doing my car only due to the fact it was a favorite of mine in my area growing up.

Hate to burst your bubble but I ma going through it right now.

whitetop
08-30-2017, 04:17 PM
I was referring to a restored car with glossy paint, rebuilt engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, wiring, new interior etc. These early fastbacks are no longer selling as they were 7-10 years ago. No Mustangs are selling unless Shelby, K or R code and even those are way down in price. If you sell it for 5k and make money that is great. The new owner will be the one underwater.

Here is a restored in 2009 "body off" 65 Mustang fastback sold for $21k on ebay. Really nice 65-66's fastbacks are now $25-30k cars..that is all they are going for unless cream of crop resto and show paint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-Mustang-GT-Fastback-/253086624757?vxp=mtr

If I were restoring this to make money, I think I'd do more than just fine. Please show me another fastback 66 Mustang 289 A code with pony interior that you could be driving for less than $5k. This one will be in primer, nice and solid for less than that.

tom406
08-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Good luck with your project. '66 Fastbacks are my favorite-I've had 4 of them. Better dash, nicer trim, etc. Your transmission is a Borg Warner T10. 1966 V8 4 speed Mustangs were fitted with both T10s and Ford Toploaders. If you're going to drive it I would recommend a T5 conversion. Its ridiculous how well they fit (no tunnel work, stock speedo cable fits into the side and everything) and how much better they drive. They make factory style shifters so you can't even tell when you look inside.

I love Emberglow and Parchment Pony interior. It is very unique to see it with the Beige, but I'd probably shoot the exterior in Emberglow as well-but I like the color a lot.

30k is a bit of a ceiling on these lately, but I would argue that there's an upside to the world market for these cars. Strong demand in Austrailia, Germany, etc. If the currency is strong somewhere, your Mustang will sell.

There's a ton of upgrades available, but if you're interested in keeping a stock suspension setup, give me a PM. I was really happy with the combination of Shelby A arm drop, rebuilt quick ratio steering box, upgraded sway bar, roller spring perches and factory GT springs that I had on my last Antique Bronze/Black Pony GT fastback. It was the first early Mustang I had that I could drive on the freeway at 65 and take my hands of the wheel. (To my earlier point, its in Germany now)

HawkX66
08-30-2017, 05:46 PM
Good luck with your project. '66 Fastbacks are my favorite-I've had 4 of them. Better dash, nicer trim, etc. Your transmission is a Borg Warner T10. 1966 V8 4 speed Mustangs were fitted with both T10s and Ford Toploaders. If you're going to drive it I would recommend a T5 conversion. Its ridiculous how well they fit (no tunnel work, stock speedo cable fits into the side and everything) and how much better they drive. They make factory style shifters so you can't even tell when you look inside.

I love Emberglow and Parchment Pony interior. It is very unique to see it with the Beige, but I'd probably shoot the exterior in Emberglow as well-but I like the color a lot.

30k is a bit of a ceiling on these lately, but I would argue that there's an upside to the world market for these cars. Strong demand in Austrailia, Germany, etc. If the currency is strong somewhere, your Mustang will sell.

There's a ton of upgrades available, but if you're interested in keeping a stock suspension setup, give me a PM. I was really happy with the combination of Shelby A arm drop, rebuilt quick ratio steering box, upgraded sway bar, roller spring perches and factory GT springs that I had on my last Antique Bronze/Black Pony GT fastback. It was the first early Mustang I had that I could drive on the freeway at 65 and take my hands of the wheel. (To my earlier point, its in Germany now)
Thanks for the post Tom. Great info on the Super T10. I appreciate it. Yours sure was beautiful. I'll keep you in mind when I figure out where I'm going with it.

bergy
08-30-2017, 08:21 PM
my favorite 65 fastback

whitetop
08-31-2017, 02:58 PM
I love the gold color. Looks great with Cragars.

Tracker1
09-01-2017, 04:47 PM
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1965-fastback-mustang-barn/6281813570.html

whitetop
09-01-2017, 06:23 PM
At $20k he is a dreamin. Restored ones are only selling for 25-30k

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1965-fastback-mustang-barn/6281813570.html