PDA

View Full Version : Local Yenko Camaro Story

Mopar Steve
05-11-2000, 03:39 AM
Back in the late 70's-early 80's, there was a green '69 Yenko Camaro in the Salem, Ohio area and was owned briefly by a Sam Ferry (not sure on last name), who was responsible for blowing the original 427 in it. I realize that this information is limited, but I just wondered if this car is now restored and known to the hobby, or if it's possibly collecting dust in someone's barn locally http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif. By the way, this is my first post and please don't be fooled by my username, I'm not here to heckle "the Chevy guys". I enjoy all musclecars and have always had a fascination with the dealership supercars (Yenko, Baldwin-Motion, etc...) and Hurst/Olds, but right now I only own Mopars and thought that I should at least indicate that in my username.
-Steve
67 Coronet R/T convertible
70 Super Bee
73 Road Runner
74 Road Runner
74 Road Runner

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-11-2000, 04:34 PM
Steve:
Where in Ohio is Salem? What is the closest major City?
There were at least 4 Fathom Green that were originally sold out in Ohio.
Marlin

bkhpah
05-11-2000, 07:20 PM
The Fathom Green Yenko Camaro is currently restored and has the stripes in white applied today. The car was at last years reunion. The car was delievered without stripes in 1969. It is an early X66 car. A rare combo today.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-11-2000, 09:08 PM
Steve:
The closest dealership to Salem would be Marve Minneman Chev, Youngstown, OH. They did sell at least one Fathom Green '69 Yenko Camaro.

There were 10 dealers in OH selling Yenko cars, they were:

Central Chev, Cleveland
Glockner Chev, Portsmouth
Hugh White Chev, Columbus
Joseph Chev, Cincinnati
Konners Chev, Columbus
Luby Chev, Cleveland
Marve Minneman, Youngstown
Central Motor Co, Hamilton
White Allen Chev, Dayton
White Chev, Lima

Regarding the 4 F. Green ones, I believe the Minneman car is found, and was originally sold without stripes. I am unsure about the other 3, 2 of which were out of White Allen Chev, Dayton and the 3rd one was out of Joseph Chev, Cincinnati. These 4 were all 4 speeds

Hope this helps,
Marlin

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (05-11-2000 at 04:08 PM).]

Mopar Steve
05-11-2000, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the '69 Yenko Camaro that ran around Salem was with white stripes, but I could be wrong. I'll have to check into it a little more and I'll post an update.

Mopar Steve
05-12-2000, 05:53 AM
Salem is the home of Quaker City Dragway and is located in northeast Ohio, south of Youngstown and east of the Canton/Akron area. Just curious, what dealerships in Ohio sold Yenko's cars?

COPO PETE
05-31-2002, 08:31 PM
Hey Marlin......glad to see you on board again(punn intended!)
Peter /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-31-2002, 09:21 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gifJust watchin

Yenko Bart
06-01-2002, 01:26 AM
Mopar Steve, I know of another Fathom Green Yenko Camaro from Minneman Chevrolet. It is alive and well in upstate NY, a.k.a. My Garage.

Mr70
06-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Welcome back Marlin!

T Billigen
06-01-2002, 02:29 PM
There was a lady that showed a 1969 Fathom Green, white stripe Yenko camaro at some local car shows in western pa. and Ohio in the mid 80s, does anyone know this car?

Stefano
06-01-2002, 05:10 PM
Welcome back Marlin, The new format must have been too much to resist.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-11-2002, 07:24 PM
T.Bill;
The car in Ohio that you are referring to is still owned by Vicki K. The car is a Fathom Green 4sp w/ p/s, and was sold new out of Yenko Chev.
M

T Billigen
06-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Thanks Marlin, I was wondering if she still had it? I don't think she is the original owner though? I talked to her about the car but cannot remember how many owners.

bkhpah
06-12-2002, 02:31 AM
Vicky bought the car for daily transportation from a used car lot in 1976. She is a nice lady and her husband is a great guy too...BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-12-2002, 03:27 AM
T.Bill;
You are correct, she is not the orig. owner. Stan had done some research on that VIN several years ago not knowing that it was her car. He found the previous PA owner, I'll see if I can pull it out of my files.

I spoke to her husband about a year ago, super nice guy. He remembered a black race car with a 140 speedo from the late '80's. One of his buddies convinced the owner to sell him the speedo, and her husband called Vince with the VIN. Turns out it was indeed a '69 YENKO Camaro. About a year ago I found the very same car in downtown Pittsburgh, it's now in New York waiting to be restored.
/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif Small World /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif
M

T Billigen
06-12-2002, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys! There was a rumor back in 1987 that her car was not a real Yenko? I guess you dispelled that rumor! I sure wish that I would have had the forsight to buy one in 1976, sure could have saved myself a lot of money today! Better yet I should have bought one in 69!!!!!!!

Leonard
11-07-2002, 12:49 AM
Interesting post, brought to my attention a green 69 yenko camaro that was for sale here in Newark, Ohio. I had not seen the car, but a co-worker of mine told me about it many times. He said that in the early 80s,there was a 69 Green Yenko camaro for sale across the road from where he lives.Definitly recalls the yenko stripe. Thought it made the car look ugly.It was rusted, needed major restoration. Came with an extra motor. At that time, he did not know what the car was! Anyone here know what happen to this car? Sold in early 80s(82,83) out of Newark, Ohio ( Weiant Rd.