PDA

View Full Version : Camaro's at Carlise

bkhpah
07-21-2000, 07:33 PM
Is anyone attending Camaros at Carlise at the end of July? I will be there Judging the Legends class. I look forward to the event. I will be taking the Yenko Camaro.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-21-2000, 07:57 PM
Brian:
I'll be there on Friday, 1st to the swap meet for parts then to the Camaro show. I hope to see some rare stuff, and your D-Yellow Yenko.
Marlin

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-25-2000, 03:41 PM
A '69 Cortez Silver/Blue Std. interior COPO Camaro will be at this show, I saw this past Sunday at Super Chevy-Maple Grove. The owner is curious about the judging criteria and methods at this show. (Super Chevy judged as normal.)

bkhpah
07-25-2000, 04:12 PM
I look forward in seeing the COPO Camaro at Carlise, You may also want to be on the lookout for a Yellow Yenko clone car that shows up on the East coast shows. His attitude is much like the L/88 Yenko Chevelle guy. He will tell you that it is real and that his is worth more that yours, or that you have the "garden variety" Yenko and that his is the real car. Whatever... The car is clearly wrong with a build date at least one month earlier that any documented example.
Once again I hear a groan coming from the hardcore restoration crowd at a Super Chevy event. This has been the attitude at SC events for years. They are more concerned about what cars are wearing their sponsor's parts than correctness and quality of restoration. There has been a serious drop off in high end restoration cars at SC and most of the cars that do show up do not return. That has been my experience with that show over the years. Anyone see things different about that show?
BKH

copo69
07-25-2000, 09:01 PM
Boy, you guys hit the nail on the head concerning the Super Chevy events. These things have been on a downhill slide for several years. It's a shame we Chevy people don't have an big event like the Mopar Nationals that caters to all. Everybody seems welcome, from the hardcore restos to the racers and makes for a nice show. I think the magazine as well as the Super Chevy shows neglects the resto crowd probably due the sponsor/money thing. Also, the number of SCS events looks to be aimed at smaller regional events (more opportunity to sell SoftSeal, LOL). A few years ago I thought it was becoming a drag race but that's went to crap, too. I guess it gives the Gustin's a venue to run those damn jet cars and make a buck. One year at Indy we got droplets of JP4 fuel on our car... hard to clean off.

Chevy454
07-25-2000, 09:38 PM
All of the above reasons are kind of why dad started the sYc and the Supercar Reunion. Soon after he finished his Yenko Camaro, we attended a Super Chevy show in Memphis, and needless to say, dad was a little "disgusted". I assumed that this was where these AWESOME cars congregated, and that Super Chevy would surely cater to these "super chevys"...oh was I wrong! It seems that Super Chevy is just mainly interested in the number of entrants. It has turned into a mini "SEMA" show, catering to cars with TONS of aftermarket pieces. But, amazingly, there is usually one or two rare cars at each event (like the '68 Yenko that was mentioned in another thread). Thus, the Supercar Reunion was created, which goes in almost an entirely OPPOSITE direction...catering to the ultra-rare cars first, and not worrying about numbers.

bkhpah
07-26-2000, 04:36 AM
A few years ago we thought it would be a great time to go to SC Indy. We took along a fresh 69 Rally Green Yenko Camaro and a new 69 Daytona Yellow COPO to the event. We are not trophy hounds and do not really care about that side of the hobby, but if you bring a good car to one of these things you sometimes feel that it would be nice to be recognized. Anyway the Super Chevy staff never even came over to judge the cars Friday untill one of the owners had made a comment that we had been snubbed and asked an offical why his car had not been judged. He told us that we did not check off any of the sponsors products used during the restoration and that we were not elegible for any sponsor awards. Since the owners of these cars spent a ton of money to by authentic GM parts we were being ignored by the SC staffers. Amazing! The cars were without a doubt among the very best restored cars there and we were treated like we brought a Dodge. The only great thing about the weekend was the joy that the thousands af happy onlookers had in seeing up close these rare factory Camaro's. We never really had a shot at any awards so we just enjoyed the weekend and made an early exit Sunday before 11 AM. In closing the Roger Gustin era of SC events are among the worst we had ever attended. Bring a tubbed car or a Summit catalog built car and you will do just fine. And I have no argument over those cars as I am an enthusiast as much as the next guy, but my likes steer more toward the resto cars. We have attended and won some nice awards over the years, but the SC shows have made a great diservice to the resto boys. Instead of the show being the showcase for the rarest of the rare, most owners will not attend. I don't receive the mag anymore and do not even consider the dates for the show. I used to think it was great, but it is just a joke now. For years I worked on my firts Yenko to get it ready to show at an SC event and the judge never even looked under the car. He said we don't judge below the rockers Crazy or lazy, I'm not sure. Gustin also told us that he could not AFFORD to have qualified judges show up and judge the top end restored cars, Give me a break. It costs a big chunk of change to park your car on their field for a day. I have been to Maple Grove, Norwalk, Indy, Columbus, and Texas SC events in the past and they have all been the same. Gustin should be ashamed, go race your jet car, wooppee...... GO SUPER CAR REUNION!
BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-26-2000, 05:29 AM
Brian:
That is the absolute truth regarding the priorities of the SC event staff, if you don't have Trim Parts and Soft Seal all over your car then they turn away. It is quite ironic that at a Super CHEVY Show, you get snubbed for using NOS CHEVY parts on your restored car!! They should call the event the 'Roger Gustin Money Show'.

If I take my car there when I'm done the restoration, it will be to see friends and the occasional nice restored car. Not for knowledgeable judging. Probably the best car at the show was McNeish's '67 RS Z28, it is a nice car with a lot of options. The weather was good too!!
Marlin

Bad Boy
07-26-2000, 01:47 PM
I've got to agree with each one of you who stated that the Super Chevy shows pretty much bite the dust. My dad and I own the yellow Berger COPO, and we took it to the SC event in Dallas this year, and I must say that I was diasapointed. I don't really care about winning trophies, but I would like these supposed "chevy enthusiasts" to appreciate the amount of effort that goes into restoring, owning, and keeping alive the cars that started this craze of hi-po hotrods. Everybody has their own taste in cars, and I have seen some pretty awesome modified cars, but that is no reason to overlook what we all enjoy. I guess we don't buy enough from SC sponsors to make us worth their while.

Peter
07-26-2000, 02:13 PM
They won't judge your cars because you guys do restorations right and use GM parts where ever possible rather than the repro parts made by the sponsors. If they judged your cars then you would win and it would look bad for their buisness. I have bought a couple repro parts from the sponsors mentioned and they all have been bad from chrome to rubber. Can't understand how the original part can last thirty years but the repro rubber can only last a few months on a car that is garaged and doesn't see the weather that the original part endured, and I live in MA. Some chrome is good but the metal underneath is wavy and cheap (one of my Trim Part door handles) They wouldn't exchange it because it wasn't considered defective enough. The original is back on. Paint flakes off emblems. Technology has come a long way in thirty years but it seems the repro companies use the technology to make parts as cheap as possible to make as much money as possible rather than make a decent part that will last. I would definately pay more for a better quality product. Sorry to get off the subject here but I had to vent, its very frustrating. How can you really judge a car restored using as much GM parts as possible against a car thats using as much repro parts as possible anyway? There isn't much repro that looks or fits like original. Not that the GM parts are all they are cracked up to be but at least its GM. Some repro may last on a show car but the real test comes when you install the parts on a daily driver that see's all kind of weather like the original cars did thirty years ago. I have seen many problems.

bowtie3168
07-26-2000, 04:05 PM
I am looking foward to meeting other members of the "Super Car Reunion Club" at Carlisle this weekend. After reading the message board for a while it will be fun to meet some of the other members. If you will be attending, maybe it would be good to post your name so we know to look for each other. As mentioned in a previous posting I think that Jerry MacNiesh will be attending with his 1967 Z. I was lucky enough to attend the "York US 30 Reunion" with him two weekends ago. The show was great with people such as Bill Jenkins, Jere Stahl, Bill Stiles, Susan Strickler and her sons, as well as Bruce Larson and many others attending. Jerry MacNiesh, Don Fezell, and Larry Brinkley lined up 3 of the surviving "Old Reliable" cars (of the late Dave Strickler) for a once in a lifetime photo. Mrs. Strickler, her sons Mike and Chad, were nice enough to let us take photos of them (with the cars). Jenkins, Howie Slaybough (Stricker's crewman),Bill Stiles,Jere Stahl and others were also very gracious for letting us take photos of them with the cars. Frank Spittle put the event together and I would like to thank his for his efforts in making the show happen.
Andrew Hinckley

sYc
07-26-2000, 07:07 PM
Some things never change, including SC. I wish that I had been able to attend the US 30 reunion. I never tire of looking at true, vintage muscle/drag racing cars. The more the better, whether supercars, A/FX, funny cars, Super Stocks, etc., as they all are related in one form or another. With this thought in mind, I have a question. What would everyone think about an event for VINTAGE muscle/race cars only. Much like the road course folks are doing. 2-3 days of nothing but vintage muscle/race cars involved in NON-JUDGED events, from showing to exhibition racing. Picture this, first up to race, original supercars,Yenko, Motion, Gibb, Harrell, etc., then superstocks, Zl-1s, Z-11s, Z-28s etc., then AFX/funny cars once raced by Dickie Harrell, Bruce Lawson etc. Mix in hemis, thunderbolts, max wedges, Super Duty Pontiacs, etc. WOW!! With an event(s) of this type, we would not need, nor have to, put up with the other shows. An event of this type would require a lot of hard work from everyone, but, even if we only did it once, it would surely be an event to remember. Tom

bowtie3168
07-26-2000, 08:25 PM
Here is a list of some of the cars that were at York:
(1)Bruce Larson's USA-1 1968 Logghe Chassis Camaro "flip-top" Chevy Powered "Funny Car"
(with opening drivers side door).
(2)Dave Strickler's 1962 Chevrolet 2dr Bel Air"Bubble-top" 409 ci/409 hp 4 speed "Old Reliable II" (Owner Larry Brinkley)
(3)Dave Strickler's 1963 Chevrolet Impala "Z11" 427 Z-11 "W" head motor "Old Reliable IV" (Owner Don Fezell)
(4)Dave Strickler's Super Stock World Champion Car 1968 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 "Old Reliable V1 (?)"(Owner Jerry MacNiesh)
(5)Dick Milner's "Allen Green Chevrolet"1963 Impala "Z-11" (Allen Green is a Seattle Wa. Chevy Dealer). (Owner Don Fezell).
(6)Maynard Rupp's "Chevoom" 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle 300 rear engined "Funny Car" (392 Hemi) (not a "flopper") Sponsored by "Gratiot Auto Supply" ( Original Paint).
(7)Ken Montgomery's "Triple Nickel 555"1965 Plymouth Hemi Belvedere 2dr Sedan Super Stock car. One owner. Still in competion NHRA Super Stock "B" stick.(Ken got it new.)
(8)Dave Lyle's "Goin'Thang" 1969 Mustang (rebodied as a 1970)Fast back, Pro Stocker (NHRA) factory "Shot-gun Hemi" car.

No Cars, but attending
(1)Bill Jenkins: Jenkin's Competition.
(2)E.J. Potter:"The Michigan Madman"283 powered motorcycle on fuel.
(3)Pam Hardy: "Jungle Pam" of Jungle Jim fame.
(4)Darwin Doll: NHRA retired Div 1 director
(5)Susan Strickler: Widow of the late Dave Strickler.
(6)Jere Stahl:"Stahl Total Tune Headers".
(7)Bill Styles: Mopar Pro-Stock Pioneer.

copo69
07-27-2000, 01:17 AM
Tom, I've always thought a show of the type you mention would be great. For some reason it's hard to put together a show of this type. I've been to Super Stock Reunions, Midwest HotRod Reunion, Supercar Showdowns etc. and for some reason they just don't seem wildy successful. I don't know why. Lack of advertising, getting the word to the right people? Anyway, I approached Frank Spittle once about doing a car show to accompany the SS Reunions. They had a lightweight show but that only brought in a handful of cars (I met Micky at Va. with a lightweight Pontiac). He then tried the "400 club" for muscle cars rated @ over 400 hp from the factory but it wasn't well publicized and not many cars showed up. I think it was hard for Frank to do the race and his plate was too full to do the shows. Its a shame, I miss these events but understand promoters must at least not lose money and should make a profit. Perhaps if enough groups could get involved it could be put together. The nostalgia super stock racers, this club and maybe some other clubs could coincide their annual conventions and a race date together to make this happen. Maybe just a case of someone starting the ball rolling and some communication. I also missed the York event and regret it, but I understand there are plans for a second one next year so I won't miss that. Greg

copo69
07-27-2000, 01:27 AM
Tom, I've always thought a show of the type you mention would be great. For some reason it's hard to put together a show of this type. I've been to Super Stock Reunions, Midwest HotRod Reunion, Supercar Showdowns etc. and for some reason they just don't seem wildy successful. I don't know why. Lack of advertising, getting the word to the right people? Anyway, I approached Frank Spittle once about doing a car show to accompany the SS Reunions. They had a lightweight show but that only brought in a handful of cars (I met Micky at Va. with a lightweight Pontiac). He then tried the "400 club" for muscle cars rated @ over 400 hp from the factory but it wasn't well publicized and not many cars showed up. I think it was hard for Frank to do the race and his plate was too full to do the shows. Its a shame, I miss these events but understand promoters must at least not lose money and should make a profit. Perhaps if enough groups could get involved it could be put together. The nostalgia super stock racers, this club and maybe some other clubs could coincide their annual conventions and a race date together to make this happen. Maybe just a case of someone starting the ball rolling and some communication. I also missed the York event and regret it, but I understand there are plans for a second one next year so I won't miss that. Greg

bkhpah
07-31-2000, 01:20 PM
Getting back to the Camaro's at Carlise event for a minute. There were a good many neat cars at the show over the weekend. Two copo Camaro's (silver,and brown) two 69 Yenko's (Yellow and Rallye Green) a yellow ZL/1 and some very original survivor class cars including a 67Z,67SS396,68SS396 and a69SS396 car that were for the most part unrestored. The rainy weather danced around the event for the day part of the show , but we did get rain every night. What is the Reunion turnout looking like at this point? I got to meet some of the people that I have only talked to on the phone or computer in person as well. We will see you all soon!
BKH

sYc
07-31-2000, 07:00 PM
Brian; The reunion turnout is coming along well, with about 20 for sures, plus several more very possibles, plus we always get several who show up Friday afternoon, unannounced. I think we will once again reach, or be close to, the 40 mark. And have several neat cars who will be in the Muscle Car Corral. As always, I have had several inquires about a 2001 reunion, from people whose cars will not be finished for this years event. I know of a couple of near finished Harrell cars that I would like to see next year. Can not wait to see your car again and watch it run. If we should happen to race, what kind of spot do we get? Tom

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-01-2000, 08:13 PM
Tom:
Has the location for SuperCar Reunion 2001 been determined yet?
Marlin