PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Yenko Camaro colors?

bkhpah
09-09-2000, 02:37 PM
Does anyone have a theory as to why Yenko only chose six colors to grace the 1969 Yenko Camaro's. You would think that he would have chose also to use white, red and black. He again used the six color option during the 1981 Yenko Turbo Z project. Any thoughts on this topic?

09-10-2000, 02:46 PM
Here is my theory: it was all about marketing. He was very motivated in selling these cars so he had to make them "hot". This would explain the four colors that I would call high impact: Hugger Orange, Daytona Yellow, Rally Green, and Lemans Blue. These colors would attract more attention from the younger buyers and thus probably sell more cars. Now for the other two colors it seems it would also make for another marketing idea. Look at the other brands of cars being sold in 69, including GM, and the colors offered. It seems that golds and dk. greens were very popular in the late 60's and may have led to him offering these colors also. I Don't know why he did not offer at least Garnet Red or Dover White, unless he felt these colors should be on the Novas and Chevelles only. Why didn't he offer Daytona Yellow or Monaco (Hugger) Orange on the Chevelles or Novas in 69? Look at Pontiac's Judge, orginally they were only going to be offered in Carousel Red (Monaco Orange) and then Pontiac made a change and offered the Judge in any GTO color including Fathom Green, which was a very popular color on the GTO & Judge. Now for the Turbo Z's I do not know what colors he offered but it would have probably been along the same lines as the three cars I have seen were either red, white, or blue: all very common colors in the early 80's. Thanks for the time as this is just a thought............Rat Pack...........

bkhpah
09-10-2000, 04:49 PM
They did offer Daytona Yellow and Hugger Orange on the Yenko Chevelle's. The Turbo Z colors were red, bright blue, white, brown, silver, and black. You might be on the right train of thought on the color selection for the Camaro's.
BKH

09-10-2000, 06:04 PM
I thought those colors were available but I was told by two other Yenko Chevelle owners that there weren't any built in those colors and that the only yellow was Butternut Yellow. Its funny that both guys have Butternut Yellow Chevelles. How many Daytona Yellow Chevelles were there? Hugger Orange? Just wondering and always willing to learn.....Rat Pack.......

bkhpah
09-11-2000, 12:34 AM
The record that I have for the Chevelles are incomplete at this time but I do have 6 Hugger Orange {2 4-speed and 4 auto's} and six Daytona Yellow all 4-speeds.
BKH

Chevy454
09-11-2000, 01:49 PM
JoeC (who frequents this board) has a Hugger Orange Yenko Chevelle.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-11-2000, 02:42 PM
It is interesting to note that in 1970, Yenko ordered the Novas in 8 colors but ordered the low impact colors first. There were 3 high impact colors; Huggar Orange, Citrus Green, and Sunflower Yellow. These were all ordered in the later order. It is unknown if Yenko was unaware of these colors when he ordered the first 125 cars on December 16, 1969. I believe that Sunflower Yellow was originally intended to be a Corvette only color, and was not even listed on the color charts until '71. I believe Yenko left nothing to chance when he decided his color selection, and like Rat Pack says, he was surely aware as to what appealled to the market.

Marlin

09-11-2000, 07:44 PM
Has there ever been a 69 Yenko Camaro show up in the Roanoke/Martinsville area that was burgandy w/white stripes? I was at Camaro Junction in 1991 and the owner told me about one he bought used in 1971 and then sold to someone locally and he said it was still around. I questioned him about the color but he said that it was an original burgandy car with all of the paperwork. Was there such a car or could it have been a COPO car that had the stuff added later by Yenko? Food for thought............Rat Pack.........

bkhpah
09-11-2000, 08:44 PM
All of the colors that Yenko ordered for the 69 Camaro's are good ones. I have seen or heard of Yenko Camaros in in all 6 colors having both black and white stipes. I have seen all combinations but yellow and white, but have been told that at least one was built that way. The cars could also be ordered without the stripes.
BKH

JoeC
09-12-2000, 05:59 AM
A possible reason as to why Yenko only chose six colors for the 1969 Yenko Camaro is in the way he managed his inventory system. Yenko seemed to use the car colors to group the car on his inventory sheet so maybe by limiting the colors it would simplify his inventory tracking and at the same time match the color availability from the assembly plant in the given time frame of the order. I have a œ meet the mean ones! œ ad from a 1969 magazine hanging in my office here and it lists the cars specs but does not reference anything on color availability. Did any of the Yenko ads state in advance, that the Camaro was limited to six colors?

09-18-2000, 02:55 PM
Did all of the Monaco Orange Chevelles receive black stripes or was it a mix of black and white? How about vinyl tops?

JoeC
09-18-2000, 03:34 PM
There are four ( Chevy called it Monaco, Yenko called Hugger) Orange TH400 Yenko Chevelles listed with vinyl top. I know at least one had black stripes and I have heard at least one was white stripes. In the Year One catolog there is a Monaco Orange Yenko Chevelle with white stripes and no vinyl top. It looks like the picture was taken at a car show and there is a Grn Ã69 Yenko Nova parked next to it. Anyone know the history of that Yenko Chevelle? Year one gives no details on it.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-18-2000, 03:35 PM
To my knowledge only 2 of the estimated 7 Monaco Orange Yenko Chevelles have been located, and both are black stripe cars. Of the 7, 4 are heavily optioned with a/t's, p/s, v/t, rear antenna, bucket seats, and special paint at an additional $33.75, (cost $26.78). The 3 four speed cars were sparsely optioned with apparently just an AM radio with bench seats.

Marlin

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (09-18-2000 at 10:35 AM).]

sYc
09-18-2000, 03:36 PM
Yes, there was at least one Yellow/white stripe Camaro built, mine. It was an original paint/stripe car when I bought it from Cliff. When I restored the car, I did not know that the white stripes might make it one of one. Instead I just went with what I liked. Shows how smart I am. An interesting sidenote, the original owner (and friends) swear that the car was equipped with aluminum heads when bought new at Frances Chevrolet. Tom

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-18-2000, 03:38 PM
JoeC:
I believe the Year One Chevelle is R.Miller's Garnet Red car, it is his dark green Y-Nova as well. I think it is just a poor colored photo.
M

JoeC
09-18-2000, 04:56 PM
Marlin, I believe you're right on the color of the Yenko Chevelle in YEAR One because there is a LS6 on the next page that also looks Orange and is probably Red. I thought the owner of the other Monaco Orange Yenko Chevelle told me it was a white stripe car but I am not possitive.

bkhpah
09-18-2000, 06:12 PM
The Yenko Chevelle with the white stripes and red color may look orange in pictures. The car was Garnet Red but was repainted an incorrect shade of red that is more bright than true Garnet Red.
BKH

copo69
09-19-2000, 05:06 AM
A couple of yrs ago there was a orange auto COPO Chevelle for sale at Carlisle. It had white stripes and white interior. Anyone know anything about this car?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-19-2000, 05:47 AM
JoeC:
I do not know what color stripes the other Monaco Orange Chevelle will be. The owner also has a green, (but might be red), Y-Chevelle. We will have to wait and see what is created!!

John
04-11-2015, 09:58 PM
... Did Don Yenko ... or Jack Douglas

... ever order a "Black" 1969 Yenko Camaro ?

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

bugsy
04-13-2015, 12:51 AM
Thought the Marshall Chevrolet test car was Daytona yellow? Car is still in that area heard that from a friend of mine who I believe seen the car.

twertsy
04-13-2015, 01:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
... Did Don Yenko ... or Jack Douglas

... ever order a &quot;Black&quot; 1969 Yenko Camaro ?

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif </div></div>

Everyone says no John but there are definitely rumors of one here in our area..........I haven't seen it but know the general area where it supposedly is. I was told by a local it was bought new that way but as I understand it, there's no record of any black ones.

bkhpah
04-13-2015, 02:01 AM
The Marshall test car was butternut...BKH

shor
04-14-2015, 01:27 PM
fifteen year old thread, and still a good read!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-14-2015, 06:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkhpah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marshall test car was butternut...BKH </div></div>

Correct, and this car spent quite a bit of time in Chicago when it's original owner took it out there....

f68yenko
05-17-2015, 02:57 AM
Speaking of yenko camaro, two things, Lynn Yenko (daughter of Don Yenko) has a new Facebook site for those who don't know &quot;yenko-enterprises the next-generation) it's brand new so there's not a lot right now but will be. And I'm still trying to get some response on my lemans blue, black vinyl top, black interior, white striping, all yenko badges,four on the floor with cue ball grip yenko camaro I purchased from my friend Thurmond Munson before he died in a plane crash. Some of these features might have been changed including a &quot;in memory of Thurmond Munson) on it. Any response will be most appreciative. I can be reached at [email protected] THANK-YOU!

firstgenaddict
05-17-2015, 03:14 PM
F68 Yenko... although I did not see which year Yenko you had purchased from T Munson, given your screen name I am assuming it was a 68?

It's not too much of stretch to believe the car hasn't been seen or discussed since the 80's.

There are currently many cars locked away in collections which none of us has seen or heard about, the ultra rare cars which have appeared in the last 5 years have been amazing. If I am not mistaken there are fewer 68 Yenko's currently known than the 67 or 69.

f68yenko
07-20-2015, 04:47 PM
My Yenko from Thurmond is either a 67 or 68, and yes the car was quite known in the early eighties, every car has a story and this one has 100's. I never ever refused a baseball player (high school,college,minor league, major league) or friends of Thurmond who wanted to sit in the car or go for a ride for luck or just to remember Thurmond. And outside of that, you would not believe all the celebrities and famous people that have gone for a ride in that car. Sometimes I'm in Shock that nobody has come forward not only because everybody new what the car means to me, but what I have done and the end result of having a head trauma that caused me to loose 50% of my memory for just over 15 years. Hopefully soon people will come to their senses and the car will appear. The Yenko is not the only car that is being kept from me, but it is the most important ! Frank Costa &quot;Kicker&quot; [email protected]

f68yenko
07-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Hi, first gen addict,
I noticed that you are in South Carolina, played ball there (football) there a time ago and that was one of the places my car was stored, along with others there. But for the most part if I had the car home,it was either in North Carolina or Florida.