PDA

View Full Version : Block with no VIN's ?

PDGarland
09-10-2000, 02:53 AM
I just bought a std. bore L-78 4 bolt Chevelle block, a ' 70 model, C K O code, and it doesn't have a VIN stamped anywhere. Anyone ever see this occur? I've looked at the right spots also, and nothing. All the dates correspond with L-78 production, as does the casting. Anyone with any ideas?

COPO
09-10-2000, 01:05 PM
Check the block near the oil filter. CKO is for a 396 - 375 hp camaro. If it was built at the Norwood plant the VIN will be stamped vertically on the block by the oil filter. Because this area is rough cast and not machined the stampings are often very faint and difficult to see. The other possibility is the block was assembled and never installed in a car. When you read the Tonawanda production records there are typically a number of extra engines built that never made it into cars and were later sold through the dealer parts department. The final possibility is the block was installed in a car and a line worker for one reason or another didn't stamp the VIN.(perhaps on a Monday after a big drinking weekend) I've seen several blocks both small and BB w/out a VIN stamping that I'm certain were original for the car base on date coding of the block & other engine components and ownership history.

[Edited by COPO (09-10-2000 at 08:05 AM).]

PDGarland
09-10-2000, 01:21 PM
I looked on the pad, and by the oil filter boss , running vertical, and nothing. Not even the faintest attempt at a stamp. It's un-touched. The code also valid for a Nova in ' 70. The other blocks we got were all stamped by the oil filter. They were ' 72 402's, and a ' 73 454, and all had VIN's stamped there. Guess they just forgot it.

PDGarland
09-10-2000, 11:45 PM
After some acid, some steel wool, a wire wheel in my drill, some more acid, and some sand paper, I've found the #'s 2031 stamped in the side, right next to the oil filter. They are very faint, and barely visible. Probably a late Friday after noon job, and the stamper had a hot date! No other #'s are visible, neither a 10 or 50, so no way to see what original application was!? Oh, well, it was cheap, and I got core crank in the deal also!