PDA

View Full Version : Berger Z28/RS

PG70
09-23-2000, 05:16 AM
Hello all, I am new to this board and would like to thank you for the education I've recieved just reading the posts this evening/morning.I am the new owner of a 1970 Z28/RS with a chrome by Berger insignia on the rear fascia.I purchased it back in June and to be honest I did not have a clue as to what a Berger Camaro was until one day when I had the car out at a trim shop to get an estimate on interior repairs and some one asked where I found the car(how embarrassing this was).Now I need to educate myself about the car.I'm preparing to replace the rear frame rails, they are pretty well rotted away forward of the rear axle.Getting any information about the car has been difficult, I spoke with a gentleman at Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids who worked there since the early 70's but he couldn't tell me much.Where can I find information about the car?Any help is greatly appreciated.Thank You.

COPO
09-23-2000, 02:05 PM
I remember this car from EBAY. It looked nice but had BAD rear frame rail rot. As I recall it was sold new as a stock Z-28 from Berger Chevrolet so, there's nothing particularly unique about it, but it is certainly a desireable car to own. BTW, I also own a '70 RS Z-28 that I have had for 20 years. Probably the best site for these second gen camaros is www.nastyz28.com Good luck with the car, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

[Edited by COPO (09-23-2000 at 09:05 AM).]

PG70
09-23-2000, 06:30 PM
Yeah that's the car alright,its got a great body,something to start with. After the rails are done I'll be looking for a good body shop.I have taken it to several here in the Detroit area but all those who say they do resto work are too busy to touch it right now.Anybody out there know of any in my area, or someone who does work on the side?
Thanks!

CamarosRus
09-26-2000, 12:58 AM
PG 70, I was/have been a 2nd Gen judge for the USCC and now WCA. For my own education would you please inform me of anything "special" you may learn about your Berger sold 1970 Camaro. I've never heard of any SPECIAL dealer 70 Camaros other than the Motion cars. I have available to me a good 1970 Camaro BODY.......anybody with an opinion Id like to hear some value #'s ($$$) Rolling Body shell with 10 Bolt

Mis B
09-26-2000, 05:45 AM
Call Mr. Dale Berger at the dealership and ask him about the car. Tell him Mike Riley referred you to him.

Fhakya
09-27-2000, 07:02 PM
I saw the car on eBAY also and was kind of intrigued by it, I hope it all pans out well for you. Didn't one of the dealers put 400's in the '70 Z? I vaguely recall seeing an article on a dealership 400 transplant...Yenko perhaps?

**Fhakya**72 RS Z-28 Clone**

JoeC
09-28-2000, 12:57 AM
I have a catolog from Scuncio Chevrolet in R.I. that offers a 1970 LS7 Camaro with "Scuncio Super Options" that included many speed parts. I don't know if they ever sold any. According to Car Craft there was a 1971 400 cu.in. Z/28 Camaro. There was an article in Car Craft Feb. 1971 titled "Yenko's Super Z 400 inch Camaro". Terry Cook wrote that Chevy had a running prototype of a Z/28 with a 400 Small block with 350/350 cam and LT1 intake and 800 Holley. The article states that Yenko was taking orders for the car at that time but no info has been found that they were ever made.

bkhpah
09-28-2000, 01:17 AM
I have a Byrnes Brothers ad stating they are taking orders for the 454 Yenko Super Camaro's for 1970. I wonder if they even built a mule car? Possible. I also have an ad for the 1973 Yenko Super Camaro. This one has a picture of the car. A highly modified car with a 427 motor. At least one existed. Not sure what happened to that car.
BKH

Fhakya
10-04-2000, 08:43 AM
Where did you find the ad for the '73 Camaro? I'd love to see that pic if you've got a scanner. If you can remember the source I may have the mag somewhere. 70-73's just make my parts tingle.