PDA

View Full Version : 69 Yenko Nova; take 1!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-05-2000, 01:50 PM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796937&p=29978301&Sequence=0&res=high

The photo deteriorates each time I copy/cut and paste it. Each time I try to rotate it, it bombs!!
Will keep trying for a better one.

Marlin

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (10-05-2000 at 08:50 AM).]

SuperCars
10-05-2000, 02:31 PM
Marlin,I can send another in JPG, and rotate this time.I have not dealt with the Photo download process much yet, so it was probably my mistake.Also it is a color photo; did it come to you in B&W? Kevin

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-05-2000, 02:48 PM
Kevin;
It is my inexperience as well!! If you could send another in a .JPG format that would be easier, because I am more familiar with that type. The one you sent me earlier was in color, but it deteriorated to black and white when I saved it as a .TIF. The other save formats did the same thing. If I rotated it, it would turn into 'snow'. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I was surprised that it worked on take 1.

Thanks,
M

JoeC
10-05-2000, 06:13 PM
my neck hurt so I rotated it.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1169942&a=8610132&p=29993395

[Edited by JoeC (10-05-2000 at 01:13 PM).]

JoeC
10-05-2000, 06:17 PM
I swapped the B&W pic for the color. What year was the pic taken and at which drag strip? It is a great drag racing period pic besides being a rare pic of a '69 Yenko Nova.

JoeC
10-06-2000, 02:08 AM
Kevin, You have a good eye. It does look like a Yellow Yenko Camaro and to the pass side of the 57 Chevy looks like another '69 Z/28.
In my previous post I was not referring to the 8.5 x11.5 Chevelle type build sheet. I was looking at the GM documents titled "Body Broadcast Copy." There are a few copies of these in the Camaro books. They have lines of boxes with codes and on the lower quarter of the document is an open space where there are special codes and sometimes instructions. This is where the COPO codes are listed. For example one is for ZL1 Camaro no. 2 and has typed in this space "SHIP 12.30 ESTES REQUEST RED HOT PILOT 427 ENGINE OPT 9560BA." Some of the other sheets just have the COPO number. I believe some of the Novas came with this type of "Body Broadcast Copy."
Did Gibson restore your car with an SS grill and steering wheel? That's what it looks like in the pics I have on the computer but they are not that clear.

SuperCars
10-06-2000, 05:00 AM
No, there is no SS grill or emblems, no black out tail, nor SS steering wheel. The incorrect portion though; (I assume for lack of finding the correct stuff trying to get the car done) is 70 seat covers and deluxe door panels. I just recieved the correct 69 material from SMS to redo the seats right. Then I'm waiting for the new door panels that are coming out soon.

I know the other body broadcast sheet you are talking about. I have copies of some (I have the David Heath Sweepstakes Camaro), and yes they are different than the convential build sheets. But the one out of this Nova is a real small 4"x8" sized one having only three lines in which to make entries. Maybe bbdon can confirm this to be the same as the ones he was describing from other Novas built at Willow Run.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-06-2000, 05:02 AM
JoeC;
Nice job!!
Now if I could get it to come in with the color...
I'll keep trying when I get a chance today.
Thanks,
M

SuperCars
10-06-2000, 05:03 AM
Marlin/Joe, looking at the original photo in the background over the young fellows elbow looks like a 69 Yenko Camaro (Narrow black hood stripe, 12.60 on windshield). Over the fender of the 57 chev looks like the front corner of a 69 Z-28. All in all the cars all appear to be 1969-70 Vintage.

The Nova appears in non SS trim here and no Yenko stripes. Maybe the same guy was there in 1969 and called it a Yenko Circus wagon (just joking); embarassed the owner to strip it down to look like a plain jane Nova. Maybe it was repainted in its early days. Roger Gibson (he restored this car) was adamant though, that it had no signs of SS trim or interior. I'm sure he would have seen holes in body panels where trim parts would have been previously, if that were the case.

Joe, the build sheet is not like the full size like the COPO Chevelle that lists both 9562 and L-78. This is the small 4"x8" (bbdon had a previous post of these from Willow Run Plant) from Willow Run also. It only lists production date, body style, WRN plant, body sequence number, 731 trim, 52 52 paint, and then the last line lists L-78, M20, N10. There is no COPO number. Vince Emme found this car and states it was the first Yenko Nova. To my knowledge he hasn't seen this photo or the build sheet that was found while restoring it. It is still remains a mystery when the restorer is adamant it was not an SS, and then photos like this, and paperwork showing it to be a big-block. I choose not to make a statement one way or the other, because I just don't know. Take care. Kevin

[Edited by SuperCars (10-06-2000 at 12:03 AM).]

JoeC
10-06-2000, 05:07 AM
thanks Kevin and Marlin, that is a great pic first one I have ever seen of an original Yenko Nova. It has the non SS front side marker light but of course that would have had "396" on it.

JoeC
10-06-2000, 05:13 AM
Marlin, If you like you can e-mail me the pic. I have a few different software packages to try on it. Your software may not work with that type of file.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-06-2000, 05:25 AM
JoeC;
I sent you the photo,
you're the wizard!!!
Thanks,
M

JoeC
10-06-2000, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the build sheet pic bbdon. On the lower part of that sheet is where I would expect to see a COPO number or special instructions. I'm only guessing on this but that is where some of the COPO Camaro and Chevelle sheets had COPO numbers.
Kevin, I hope I don't sound too critical of your Yenko Nova because I would not want to discourage you (or anyone) from coming on this web site. I wish more SuperCar owners would come on here and discuss their cars. (and submit cool pics) My main curiosity is how Gibson arrived at the conclusion that the car is a COPO non SS Nova. I have not seen the car or the documents so I can only ask questions. There is a good Nova site by Scott Windle where he has a Gallery of Nova pics and a History page. If you scroll through the 1969 Nova pics the difference between an SS grill and the std. grill stands out. The SS grill is blacked out and has two silver horizontal bars where the std grill has a silver grid appearance. It appears that your Nova has the SS grill (without the SS emblem) in both the restored pics and the original pic. (Don C. may know more about this). The "mailbox" on the hood of the original pic prevents viewing of SS grill holes (if there were any) and the back of the car is not shown so we can't see the panel between the tail lights (if it had it). It doesn't have the "396" sidemarker but Yenko would remove that to add his 427 emblem. In the pics of the restored car back view it looks like Gibson used holes from where an SS emblem would be to mount the Yenko and 427 emblems. In the rear view pic the emblems look staggered like on the Yenko Camaros. This was done because they used the staggered holes of the original Camaro bowtie emblem and drilled two more outside holes. If the car was a non SS it would have no holes and I would guess that Yenko would mount the emblems straight like on Yenko Chevelles but this is just my opinion.
Here is the link to the Windle Nova site which also has copies of Chevy letters about the 1968 COPO Nova (submitted by Ray M.) and also interesting story on the 1963 Nova fastback (3 made)
http://www.novaresource.com/

bkhpah
10-06-2000, 11:53 PM
The car has the fake grills on the front fenders. I have pictures of the car that I took this summer in Seattle...
BKH

bbdon
10-07-2000, 05:57 AM
Yes, that is a good description of the broadcast sheets that I typically find in 69 Novas. I have found lots of these in 69 Novas that I have pulled parts out of in junkyards. The most common location seems to be behind the back seat, passengers side. Here is an address to see a sample. http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/free/broadcst.jpg
Note the lack of any code for the SS option on this one, which is my own Nova. But this is an SS car.
As I mentioned before, I am not saying that this really means anything about the red Nova that we are discussing. I agree that the physical evidence found on the car during reatoration would make the case for or against the trim. The hood would have had some extra reinforcements on it for the hood grilles on a SS car, and this is a clue that I have used to ID fake SS cars before. But I am guessing that the original hood is gone on this Nova, due to the big hole.
It is interesting that the car does have the fake side louvers on it. These were normally included with the exterior decor package or the custom exterior, but neither one of those options is on this car. They were also included with the SS package.

[Edited by bbdon (10-06-2000 at 02:28 AM).]

[Edited by bbdon (10-06-2000 at 12:57 PM).]

Keith Tedford
10-07-2000, 08:03 PM
COPO Chevelles have the COPO codes on the left hand side of the build sheet below the list of options, 9566AA in our case. In box 4 and again in box 27 is the two letter code for the COPO engine, MQ in our case. The special KQ rearend shows up in box 29. The L78 engine shows up in the option list as well. I would think that Camaros and Novas would be done the same way.

GMH454
10-09-2000, 02:55 AM
Are we talking about the Otis Chandler car. Are photos from the time it was at the OT museum readily available. If not I have slides that I can make up (from a magazine photo shoot in 1991) and post. (my son can probably figure that out. Did the museum ever sell a second version of their calendar?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-12-2000, 05:26 AM
The discussion of this car being a COPO/nonCOPO is on hold pending further review!!

Thanks,
Marlin