PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mondello interview

bowtie3168
10-17-2000, 05:38 AM
I wanted to share a bit of cool info with everyone. This past weekend was "The 16th Annual Oldsmobile Performance Weekend" at Raceway Park (Old Bridge, NJ). I know, Oldsmobiles? Where are you going with this? I know, just hear me out. The event was sponsored by Mondello Performance and I got a chance to interview Joe Mondello. During the interview Joe and I got onto the topic of "Super Cars",he informed me that he did engine blueprinting, and cylinder head porting work for the likes of some of the greats like Dickie Harrell,Jungle Jim,and Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins to name a few. Joe also still owns a very interesting car. Mondello Performance still is a innovator in the high performance industry and I would recommend checking out their website. Some of their new blueprinting ideas will come in handy to anyone rebuilding an engine. Check it out it is very interesting. www.mondellotwister.com
Let me know what you think please.
Andrew

Chevy454
10-17-2000, 05:48 AM
I have been going thru some of dad's SS&DI magazines here lately, and Joe's name seems to pop up a LOT!

So, what "interesting" car does he still own?

bowtie3168
10-17-2000, 02:52 PM
The car was one of 7? factory special built W-30 package 455 high hp Olds Cutlass Vista Wagons.Mr. Modello called it a "Wonder Wagon". The car is one of 2 surviving examples. The cars were built in sequential order (all came down the line together on a friday afternoon) and were distributed by GM to special VIPs that Olds wanted to impress. The cars had all of the "442" options and had "00" paint codes listed on their cowl tags. Joe Mondello told me that the options that these wagons were equipped with were not avail on wagons, not even as a special order. A true factory hot rod.