PDA

View Full Version : Gobi Beige??

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-20-2000, 09:05 PM
A lot of people ask me 'what color is Gobi Beige?' 'How many Gobi Yenko Novas were made? I never see any.' or 'That must be a rare color, I never knew they made a Yenko in Beige'. Actually, Gobi Beige is very much like Butternut Yellow when it is in the sun, but looks more like beige when under flourescent lights.

Gobi Beige is named after the 'Great Gobi Desert' in central Mongolia. The color can be similar to 'desert sand' when it's under certain lights.

Yenko ordered approximately 25 double-COPO Novas in Gobi Beige, approximately 5-6 exists today with only 3 painted Gobi Beige. This color has no metallic, and very little depth. With these 'qualities', the repaint percentage was high and restriping low. Therefore, this color is not rare, but usually lost its identity early in life. This is most likely why so few are found out of the 25.

Attached is a photo of a freshly painted, and reassembled Gobi Beige Yenko Nova. The original quarters hanging in the background have original stripes, but they were repainted in '73. Why no color change on this repaint? The car was repainted under warranty due a some hail damage while owned by the original owner - who liked the Gobi Beige color, much like I do!!

Marlin

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796937&p=31139817&Sequence=0&res=high

MikeA
10-21-2000, 02:13 AM
The Gobi Beige looks great! I like the "old" rear quarters hanging in the background.

Were the Yenko emblems below the Nova badge bolted on or were they held in place with double faced tape? Are there any known Yenko Novas that came with front and/or rear bumper guards?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-23-2000, 04:56 PM
Mike;
The '70 Yenko Novas came with chrome emblems, with parts of them painted red, white and blue. The '69 Yenko emblems were pegged onto the cars, but the '70 Yenko emblems were installed with double-sided tape.

Thanks for the words on the Gobi paint!! It is an unusual color, and can take some getting used to. Most Yenko enthusiasts have never seen this color, so I thought I would post a photo.
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (10-23-2000 at 11:56 AM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-23-2000, 07:30 PM
John;
Thanks for the compliments!! I enjoyed painting it myself, it is a lot of work and a lot to learn, but well worth it in the end. The Forest Green is a harder color to shoot due to it being a metallic based color, the Gobi beige is a little easier. I don't mind painting, it's the year and half of sanding and prep work that wears you down!!

The '70 Yenko Novas definitely received a YENKO crest emblem on both front fenders, and one on the rear trunk lid that replaced the 'NOVA by Chevrolet' emblem. It is quite common for one or more of the emblems to be missing due to them being stolen, or possibly falling off. My car still had all three of them on when I bought it in 1996, and it had sat outside from 1970-1990!! The tape should hold pretty good.

M

johnk
10-24-2000, 05:17 AM
marlin,nice picture!rear qtrs add a nice decorative touch!hope you will post some more in the future.my original yenko emblems definetly showed double-sided tape was used.did all cars receive them on the drivers side as well,my car only had the emblems on rfrnt fender&decklid!can't wait to see your car all finished!should look super!by the way, if you have any forest green lying around feel free to come up&start spraying!!!

Bob
10-24-2000, 12:31 PM
Congratulations on reaching a major milestone in your restoration. Looks great! I only wish mine was this far along.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-24-2000, 01:16 PM
Bob;
Thanks, bring yours on up here - we'll get it done!!

Does this color look like the CT a/t car that was traded in locally down there??
M