PDA

View Full Version : yenko race cars

orig69ss
11-26-2000, 02:18 AM
JUST GOT DONE READING A 1970 ISSUE OF SUPER STOCK MAGAZINE AND A FELLOW BY THE NAME OF ED HEDRICK SET A NATIOAL RECORD OF 11.28 ON 1147 RECORD E T,AND THE CAR WAS TUNED BY BILL JENKINS. DO ANY OF YOU REMEMBER A 70 CHEVELLE THAT WAS DRIVEN BY RAY ALLEN /BRIGGS CHEVROLET OUT OF NEW JERSEY AND RAN IN MOSTLY HEMI CLASS AND A LOT, JUST A LITTLE NOSTALGIA.

Keith Tedford
11-26-2000, 01:54 PM
Ed Hedrick also raced a '69 Yenko Camaro. The July '69 edition of Super Stock and Drag Illustraged magazine did their well known drag test on a Yenko 427 Camaro. Hedricks Yenko S/S-E car was also at the track with them. He did the tuning and testing on the car. The stock 427 car ran 11.94 at 114mph with Thorley headers, M&H 8" slicks and Hedrick tuning.
I think that Ray Allen's car was an LS6 convertible and it set numerous track records in super stock.

bowtie3168
11-27-2000, 03:43 PM
orig69ss,
I read your post.As soon as I did I called Tom Kling. Who is Tom Kling? Tom Kling and Ralph Truppi owned the Ray Allen car that you mentioned,they ran it out of their shop, TK Performance in the Plainfield area (NJ). The car was a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 convertible car that ran in SS/EA which you mentioned was a mostly "Hemi" class. I have some old "Raceway News" (Old Bridge Twsp Raceway Park) that has the car on the cover, I will post very soon. Tom Kling is currently the Crew Chief for Tom Martino's NHRA Pro Stock Pontiac Firebird and one of the head engineers at Jesel Performance (Rocker Arms). Ralph Truppi currently owns TK Performance (a machine shop). Briggs Chevrolet is no longer, it was in South Amboy, New Jersey. I spoke to the gentleman who owned Briggs and he is going to get me some photos of the old store, (the building is still there).Briggs was the official track sponsor (for a time)of Raceway Park (Englishtown NJ),a sponsor the late"Jungle Jim" Liberman's Funny Cars, a sposor of the "Truppi-Kling" Chevelle, and a sponsor of John Greenwood's Lemans Corvettes. I hope that you find this info helpful.
Andrew

micky69396
11-27-2000, 04:45 PM
I have also heard that the car was restored, anyone know for sure?

bowtie3168
11-27-2000, 07:42 PM
Guys,
Tom Kling told me that if I had any questions to just ask him. Please feel free to list them.
Andrew

orig69ss
11-27-2000, 09:53 PM
found some more super stock magazine and come across some more pictures of that awsome chevele. for a car that heavy to run s/s EA and run 11.50 et is something. ralph truppi did,t they run a hemi in super stock 1970?, whoops showing my age.

JoeC
11-28-2000, 05:19 AM
If I remember correctly both the Allen/Briggs LS6 Chevelle and Hendrick Yenko Camaro were used in the Vitar racing auto transmissions ads. Vitar was from Brooklyn NY. and did a lot of advertising in the East Coast car magazines featuring the record holding cars that used their transmissions