PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Package

NWYENKO
02-02-2001, 03:31 PM
I would like to install water temp & oil pressure gauges in our Deuce. Is it possible or economically feasible to try to find the original SW type gauges or would I be just as well off putting in the new style black faced gauges from Chev in a two gauge frame. Plan on driving the car to local shows but not too hung up on it being 100 percent correct at this time. It has other short comings such as incorrect exhaust and no smog equipment. We are just looking forward to getting it out when our weather improves.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-02-2001, 04:22 PM
Jim:
The original guages in the '70 Yenko Novas were not Stewart Warner Greenlines, but rather Dixco brands. These guages are very hard to find these days, mainly because they were not high quality items and have not survived. I have found a few NOS sets on EBAY, I bought one set and notified other Yenko Nova owners about the other sets.

They are not very expensive when found, but I would not rely on them in my car. It would be a better choice for you to install the current black face, white lettering SW guages in your car at this time, and be on the lookout for the original Dixco guages as a conversation piece.

I do not plan to install the Dixco guages in my car, since it may have had SW greenline guages installed by the first owner who purchased them through the Yenko catalog. That is generally the only way SW-Greenlines found their way into a '70 Yenko Nova.

Best of luck,
M

NWYENKO
02-02-2001, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the input Marlin. Any suggestions about the stock a/m radio? I think I may have found a local shop that is capable of making the repairs or at least telling me what is wrong. Are these radios easy to find? I don't want to have to buy two or three before I find one that works. In our '66 L79 I put one of the Autosound am/fm replacements and put the original on the shelf but would rather keep the original stock radio in the Deuce.

MY70SS396
02-02-2001, 06:53 PM
My uncle just purchased a radio from Radio Man for his '68 Z28. Very nice quality and sound. I couldn't beleive it. They go for about $350. To me, there is nothing like seeing that factory radio in the slot. Just my $2.
Mitchell

bowtie3168
02-03-2001, 05:17 AM
NWYenko,
I sent away for a catalog from a company called "Radio Man", he is out of Texas. If you get a old stock GM/Delco AM unit (send a broken one with a good face/cosmetics) and send it to him he will convert it to a AM/FM or AM/FM CD changer (Changer to be located somewhere else in the car). The units are cool and look more original than the "Custom Autosound" units.

Andrew

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-03-2001, 05:22 AM
Jim;
I just purchased an NOS AM radio, with the green lettering, on EBAY for $95. I thought that was a pretty good deal, but won't know for sure until it arrives. I felt that the repair bill on one of my used ones would be about the same. I would watch EBAY for them, they appear frequently but can go much higher.
M

NWYENKO
02-03-2001, 05:25 AM
Andrew, Tell me more! Tell me more!! I assume you have an address. I need a radio that works. I rented a new Taurus in Phoenix and drove 4 miles before I realized the radio didn't work and returned it immediately!!
Jim

johnk
02-03-2001, 05:48 AM
jim;
i agree with marlin on the reliability factor on the gauges.i've had a set of S&W gauges in my deuce close to 20yrs now.i guess it's just a piece of mind thing!!motors can get expensive!!!!it's great to hear you are planning to drive&enjoy your car!!i tend to be a little more careful nowadays,but that accelerator still gets pressed down pretty hard!!best of luck with your car!!!
john

bowtie3168
02-03-2001, 05:54 AM
I will look for the catalog when I get home. I think that I originally got the # out of an ad in "Classic Truckin'". The gentleman that I spoke to (when I called) gave me the impression that he is a one manned shop. He was very friendly and knowledgeable and sent me a nice, well presented catalog. The shop does go under the name "Radio Man" and is from Texas. I thought that it was cool also. I was happy to see that the "Deuce" went to someone that will enjoy it , and is also in the "Super Car Club". Congrats on your purchase. I had one of my buddies take a picture of me with your car, not knowing that you bought it. I will try to find that # tonight.
Andrew

bkhpah
02-03-2001, 11:59 AM
I'll take a radio delete plate over AM tunes..BKH

68l30
02-04-2001, 03:51 AM
NWYENKO,I may have a radio for you!I'll have to check in my trailer,I know I just recently sold one but I may have another.Stay tuned!!!!!!!!

Steve

bowtie3168
02-04-2001, 05:37 AM
NWYenko,
I think that I have tracked down the Radio Man. Check the posts on monday.

Andrew

68l30
02-04-2001, 04:09 PM
I do have one!Please email me if you are interested.

Steve

NWYENKO
02-04-2001, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. As it turned out it was just a bad connection in the contact plug. I am replacing all the contacts and all should be fine. However the speaker had been replaced with an after market one so i am now in the hunt for a replacement. We have a big high performance swap meet this next weekend and I hope to find one. We have been invited to bring our Camaro out to put in the Pavillion bldg on display, should be fun. I also bought a OEM (repro) steering wheel from Classic Industries and was very pleased with the service and quality. Took the car out for a spin yesterday,what a kick!! That red car really gets the looks.

68l30
02-04-2001, 10:37 PM
NWYENKO, what wheel did you buy? I've seen the Walnut and the Rosewoods but not the others.It's nice to hear they finally got one right!(?)

Steve

NWYENKO
02-05-2001, 12:05 AM
I bought the standard black wheel for $169 and used the shroud and horn buttons I had. The stuff was here in about 4 days and everything I ordered came.Looks good. I used these guys when I did my Z28 back in '90 and was pleased. Need another tip. What kind of bushing can you get for the upper clutch rod to the pedal? The hole in the clutch pedal arm has worn and the pedal rattles. I really don't want to change the whole assembly.

68l30
02-05-2001, 04:01 AM
Sorry,I have seen that wheel.It is a nice piece although not tech.correct for a 69.Are you looking for a factory bushing or something to tighten up the play in what you have?I'll have to look to see what is on my clutch pedal assy.I can't remember.

Steve

COPO
02-05-2001, 05:04 AM
There is an NOS one on Ebay now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=553414769&r=0&t=0

Chevy454
02-05-2001, 12:55 PM
I think they used thin plastic bushings to keep them from rattling. They have a small shoulder on them on one side...or at least I think that's right...guys?

[Edited by Chevy454 (02-05-2001 at 07:55 AM).]

NWYENKO
02-05-2001, 02:47 PM
I think it is a small nylon "hat" bushing. I don't know if it is a factory part or just a standard one found at Lowes. The hole in the clutch pedal arm has slightly enlarged do to wear.

bowtie3168
02-05-2001, 04:14 PM
There is a company that advertises in "Hemmings" that sells bushing kits for clutch pedal assemblies.They had a full page ad. I thought that it could be an helpful improvment.