PDA

View Full Version : ZL-1 Corvette Letter

Mr70
02-08-2001, 01:09 AM
I cleaned out a Dealership recently and came across paperwork dated between 1968-75.One of the Zone letters dated Oct.24,1969 has a notice saying:CORVETTE:"St.louis Plant has a 1969 Corvette,(3000 miles)wth ZL-1 High Performance engine for sale at company car discount.Call Zone if you are interested".
Now I know they made 3 of these cars,and one was destroyed by Chevrolet.So of the two existing cars,one Yellow and one White,which would they be talking about.Any owners out there? I think the white one was in the Vintage collection.

COPO
02-08-2001, 01:22 AM
"Supercars" on this site owns the white one. You can see it on his website http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/Corvette/69ZL1/index.htm

JoeC
02-08-2001, 02:19 AM
There was a Zora quote on the ZL1 Corvette as told by MCR magazine (in Zora's dialect) "Were six cars made. Two escaped. Four changed inside and sold to employees" I do not know if this is true but there were a few ZL1 Corvette test mules.
The one you mention is most likey the Yellow ZL1 Corvette now owned by Rogers Corvette. He may be interested in the documentation you found.
GM engineer George H. Heberling ordered it then was transferred and it was put up for sale through GM at the zone level. Here is the story.
http://www.rogerscorvette.com/spots/feb98/spot.htm

SuperCars
02-08-2001, 02:27 AM
My bet is that the car in that letter references the Yellow ZL1 currently in Florida. I will try to find the magazine article I read about this in; but the Yellow car was built for the St. Louis plant manager named George Huberling (spelling?) and was later resold through a Chevrolet Dealership on the East Coast. It has been a while since reading that, but that is to the best of my memory. In any event, I would like to get a copy of the letter if possible.

SuperCars
02-08-2001, 02:36 AM
Joe C, you are quick. Beat me to the reply post, and with the complete story during the time I'm trying to type my post using my two finger hunt and peck typing method.Good job!

Yes I've read about other test mule ZL1's and have seen photos of them in articles as well. I believe for example Marty Schorr in a late 69 test article, had a 69 pre-production 70 prototype test mule Zl1. Unfortunately the ZL1 never followed for 1970.

Chevy454
02-16-2001, 09:33 PM
I have corresponded with Roger (of Roger's Corvettes) a couple of times concerning the Supercar Reunion. He said to send him some info on it, but he has obviously never attended. I would LOVE to see his (or Kevin's, for that matter!) ZL-1 'Vette, but I'm not sure if his cars ever leave his showroom. Any know Roger very well?!

Mr70
02-16-2001, 09:46 PM
I read the ZL-1 story on the speedvision website.The story of his car being for a Executive at Chevrolet and sold through their St.Louis plant sounds like this letter I have is talking about his car.It fits all the details.
I e-mailed him and his son said he would like to talk to me ASAP.

JoeC
02-17-2001, 05:11 AM
There is another story on the Yellow ZL1 Corvette on the speedvision site. Click on the picture to see more pictures.
http://www.speedvision.com/pub/articles/classics/04muscle/010215a.html