PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Dealers

gambitti
02-16-2001, 12:08 PM
How was the ordering of Yenkos by various dealers handled? Were they pre-ordered by customers?or were dealers just given lists of cars to choose from?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-16-2001, 04:10 PM
G;
I can't speak for the method used in 1969, but I believe I have figured out process for 1970.

After Yenko received approval for combination COPO #'s 9010/9737, he placed the first order for 125 cars with GM on December 16, 1969 using form #CPM420. The cars were ordered as 'Fleet' vehicles. This form lists both COPO #'s at the end, which supercedes his designations for the L65, 250hp 350, and an M20 transmission.

Yenko then chose the stripe design from several drawings, and had them made. A prototype car was dressed up with the stripes, emblems, wheels, hood scoop, sport mirrors, and interior decals, and photographed for a two sided, single page brochure. (This car is believed to have been a non-COPO car). After the brochures were printed, Yenko sent bunches of them to the participating dealers in his network, along with an order form. The dealer, or Yenko, could print (or sometimes rubber stamped), the name of the dealer(s) on this brochure for the general public, to generate interest in the car. The attached order form only shows 5 colors of cars that could be ordered, Silver, Beige, Green, Blue, and Red because these were the only 5 colors produced in the first order, (25 of each). The order form also allowed the dealer to request trans type, special shifter for the a/t, p/s, instrument group, and special sport steering wheel. In addition to the main brochure, Yenko also had two other advertisements that dealers had access to in order to promote the cars in their areas.

The cars were all produced in three weeks, 05D, 06A and 06B. They began showing up at Yenko SportsCars Inc. shortly thereafter. Inventory sheets kept track of the cars as the orders from the participating dealers were filled. These sheets also kept track of who sold which cars, and missing parts or damage to the cars.

After a shipment of cars to another dealer was made, a 'delivery schedule for delayed payment privilege for new floor plan units' was typed up and sent to Joe Bobeck the District Manager for GM in Pittsburgh. I believe this form transferred the financial liability from Yenko to the receiving dealer, and ended the delayed payment privilege that Yenko had.

Once the participating dealers received the cars, they were their responsibility - including warranty issues. To our knowledge, very few of the cars were actually pre-ordered by customers. Most of these cars were bought for the specific reason that Yenko designed them for - insurance! Several original owners had recently wrecked their big block cars, and were looking for this very combination to beat the insurance bills. After the cars popularity was absorbed by those people that could afford them, the remaining cars sat on dealers lots for a long time - including Yenko Chev. who had 3 left at e.o.y. '70. Certain colors proved harder to sell than others, beige, silver, citrus green and sunflower yellow seemed to remain unsold the longest.

Hope this helps!!
Marlin

JoeC
02-16-2001, 08:45 PM
I agree with NWYenko. Great answer Marlin.

Mr70
02-16-2001, 10:09 PM
Marlin..That was nice.I was literally back in time seeing the whole process in my mind.Good job of researching it.Someone should make a movie on this whole process.Who could play Don Yenko?

NWYENKO
02-17-2001, 05:33 AM
WOW Marlin!!! what a great history lesson. I printed it off and will put it in my book of Yenko facts. Thank you very much!! Between you and Brian and others at this sight I think there is enough info to write a book.

gambitti
02-18-2001, 08:03 PM
Thanks Marlin,
Your information was very informative. On monday I going to Green Bay to see if those Yenko commercials still exist, maybe check the old Green Bay Press Gazettes to see if broadway chev ran an ads on Yenkos. Have you ever checked old newspapers (in Yenko dealership cities) to find out exactlly how many cars each dealership got? I don't know if they'd have anything but libraries keep do keep old newspapers.