PDA

View Full Version : Shaking in Seattle

COPO
03-01-2001, 01:08 AM
Washington state Gov. Gary Locke declared a state of emergency after an earthquake struck the Pacific Northwest today. Damage from the 6.8-magnitude quake was estimated in the billions of dollars, CNN reported. At least 25 people were hurt. At least 9,000 people in the Seattle area were left without power.

Kevin was that really an earthquake or did you start all of your cars at once. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/laugh.gif Seriously, hope everything is OK with our NW friends.

SuperCars
03-01-2001, 02:15 AM
We were "rocking and a rolling", "moving but not really grooving". It was big with a lot of movement; but no damage to my house or cars etc. Most damage was confined to old brick buildings downtown etc. I was in Alaska in the 1964 earthquake, and I really remember that one. We lived on Kodiak Island. It is a 180 mile long Island, which is bigger than a couple of the smaller States. Anyway the entire island sunk 8 feet. there were 5 to 6 tidal waves following. wiped out the entire downtown area. Small town though, only 8,000 people.

Belair62
03-01-2001, 03:01 AM
Glad to see you came out o.k. Kevin. Must have been a helluva ride.

JoeC
03-01-2001, 03:39 AM
The news video looks pretty scary. Some people were stuck 600ft up in the Space Needle. Glad to hear everyone is OK.

NWYENKO
03-01-2001, 12:59 PM
You guys are not going to believe this!! I was actually driving the Deuce entering onto I 5 and thought it was just a little miss that caused the car to lurch a little. Well what better place to be in an earthquake. Stuff fell off the shelves at our house but no real damage thank goodness. We had a 3. something aftershock this morning at about 1 A.M and different stuff fell!!!

68l30
03-01-2001, 03:24 PM
That's one hell of a "miss". Better get that checked out before it happens again!

I hope everyone is ok out there.

Steve

CamarosRus
03-01-2001, 10:50 PM
At the time of the quake I was in Portland, OR driving NEW Honda's and Accura's off a ship from Japan. I was evidently aboard the ship at the moment or hot-rodding one of the S-2000 roadsters cause I never new a thing until after the fact. When I got home in the late afternoon I noticed some of my old racing trophys had toppled over along with some NOS sheetmetal etc. Thanks to everyone for the concern, but quite frankley IMHO the media is taking film footage "out of context" and making things look worse than it is......regards, chuck sharin