PDA

View Full Version : Exploding side glass in Camaro!

bkhpah
04-02-2001, 08:25 PM
Yesterday I opened up the garage to find that the passenger side glass in Joes 69 Harrell Camaro had exploded into a million pieces. There was nobody in the shop from 4PM Sat till 1PM Sun. The temp never dipped below 50 degrees and the window was rolled up. Has anyone ever heard of this occuring? I am baffled...BKH

Denis
04-02-2001, 09:19 PM
Someone with a key entered the shop over the weekend, rolled down the passenger window, and sprinkled shattered glass on the floor. It's a rather good April Fool joke, don't you think?

bkhpah
04-02-2001, 09:49 PM
No it's not a good April fools joke. It is a mystery to this point...BKH

Ray Morrison
04-02-2001, 11:41 PM
BKH,
Several years ago, when the Nova was almost new, the back glass completely shattered while sitting in the front our building. In this instance, I believe the angle of the sun may have caused mine? I have also had a patio door do the same thing? Was Joe's Camaro sitting where the sunlight could have hit the side window? Just a thought!!! I think everthing would have to be just right for this to happen, but think about a magnifying glass when held toward the sun at the proper angle, will cause a tremendous heat build up.

whitetop
04-03-2001, 12:33 AM
BKH
It was the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy-that's who done it!! They want everyone to buy a new SUV. You see, they don't understand that some people can only afford to own an older model 1969 car, like your Camaro. You poor pitiful wretch. When I become President my first act will be to give you a new Yugo in place of that decrepit old thing.

Your Humble Friend;

Hillary RODHAM Clinton

P.S. I Feeeel Youuuuur Paiinnnn!!!

[Edited by whitetop (04-02-2001 at 07:33 PM).]

Charley Lillard
04-03-2001, 12:56 AM
Now the car is almost worthless. Wanna sell it ?

Denis
04-03-2001, 02:14 AM
If the glass was HERKULITE (spelling?) and it was chipped just a tad, that could be your answer. With a chip, a minor temp change or the window rolled up so tight as to put a strain on it could do the deed.

Belair62
You'd be better off buying a nuclear generating station at this point Charley...

bkhpah
The car was at the rear of the building with no possible way for sun to hit it. Just a freak I guess. It was the original date coded window of course. I did fire up my Yenko Saturday in the garage, maybe the effects of the Yenko competition engine destroyed the glass...BKH

[Edited by bkhpah (04-02-2001 at 09:14 PM).]

Kurt S
04-03-2001, 06:49 PM
Never heard of it in a car that it's been in for a while (have heard of new installs doing this).
The glass is tempered, must have been a scratch or defect that couldn't handle the surface tension and let go. Strange. Too bad.

Kurt

bowtie3168
04-03-2001, 07:48 PM
Brian,
I wonder if the window was knocked out of its track the last time the door was closed or the last time the window was rolled up? When I worked at the Chevrolet dealership we used to get a few second generation cars coming in with "exploding" door glass. The insulation (bumpers) in the doors would wear away or dryout. I had a similar thing happen with one of our street rods. The window broke when I rolled it up, there was a exposed rivet that made contact. P.S.: on a side note, I announced that John Force was at the track (when he was not)on Sunday (for April fools). http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

Andrew