PDA

View Full Version : canadian documentation?

68ys8030
04-13-2001, 11:53 PM
i'm looking to buy a 1969 COPO camaro project car and have seen a couple with "canadian documentation" can anybody fill me in on this subject? thanks !!steve

bkhpah
04-14-2001, 12:35 AM
I restored a 69 Canadian COPO Camaro a few years ago. GM of Canada has saved all the paperwork for the cars sold there. For a fee, you recieve a info packet with all the options and dealer info on the car. It is a real bonus that you can get that..BKH

Chevy454
04-14-2001, 02:37 AM
Ditto what Brian said. I looked at some of Pete Simpson's Canadian COPO paperwork 2 years ago at the '99 Pure Stock Drags. All I can say is "WOW". It seems like Pete said they used to provide the entire sheet that the car was on (kind of like some of the Yenko cars), so some "tracking" was done. Along with the sheet with your car, I think you get options(?), and some general stuff like in the "regular" resto packet us U.S. guys can get from GM...all for around $65. Too bad the US cars can't be documented the same http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif.

ps. I will email Pete and see if he can help shed some light on this subject.

68ys8030
04-14-2001, 11:34 AM
thanks for the help guys !! im looking to spend over 20 grand for a complete project car and i really want to make sure its a real car. documentation is important to me. It's really tuff to part with 20 or 30 grand and get a pile of parts!!!!
Oh well... when its finished i'll have THE
car!!! thanks again!!! steve keech
sarasota florida

Mr70
04-14-2001, 02:45 PM
Contact George Zeporra at Vintage Vehicle Services in Canada.1-888-467-6853.You give him your GM Vin# and credit card#.He runs the Vin# through his Canadian Computer.If it was built in Canada or Sold new in Canada,he will have proof of it's originality.No Buildsheets though.Only Dealers paperwork.He sends a packet of all copied paperwork to your house.He charges $40.00 US if he has it on file.If not,there is no fee.
I was getting ready to get on a plane and look at a fully restored 1970 SS Chevelle LS-6 Convertible being sold in Edmonton,Alberta 4 years ago.With a $80,000.00 price tag.I found out about this service and called.George called me back two hours before my flight was to leave and said it shows it was sold new in Quebec in 1970 as a 307 Malibu with 2:73:1 open rearend.He saved me alot of time and money.

COPO PETE
04-14-2001, 09:43 PM
Mr 70 is very correct. This is a wonerful thing that GM of Canada does for us. I would like to add something to it but he is dead on. It's very handy as I once came across a guy selling a LS 6 SS454 Monte. I thought it was BS but it's one of those things you just have to investigate. One phone call and what do you know, a LS 5. I was'nt surprised but you never say never in this business. I had to listen to experts for a long time tell me that you could not get a 70 COPO LT-1 Nova unless it was through Yenko. Even though I had the protect-o-plate, bill on sale and original CTB motor in it. A phone call to them helped end that debate.
ps. thanks Rob for showing me how to get to this site. This too is a great thing!

Mr70
04-15-2001, 12:53 AM
Hey Welcome Pete. I know you from the Dec./Jan.1998 issue of Muscle Car Review.Those are some very nice COPO cars you have on page 24.The Nova,and Camaro are quite nice,but I would choose your Chevelle if I had to choose one.Hope the axle housing got fixed OK.

Jeff H
04-15-2001, 01:50 AM
I figured it was a matter of time before Pete would show up. You guys are killing me with all this COPO talk. The COPO's are cool cars and I'd love to own one someday. But for now I'm restoring a 69 Z28 JL8 with protect-o-plate and buildsheet. I'm going to be buying a crossram setup and an original GM fiberglass crossram hood on Monday. I already have most of the TI parts and a radio delete plate. It may not be a COPO, but I'm restoring it the way you could have bought a car from Chevrolet and gone racing in 69. My daily driver is a 93 Indy Pace Car that's supercharged so I like my Camaros different.